Relegation v4.0

BleedClaretAndBlue

Sunderland fans were absolutely over the moon to get O'Neill as their Manager to begin with, they saw it as a big coup. I think there was such a big feel good factor that that played a massive part in his good start as their Manager. A similar thing could happen if he went to Leicester, depending on how he's seen amongst their fans I guess.

Completely agree but you cannot disregard O'neil's Leicester past and how much he would love to relegate us

Disagree - MON is very close with Lambert and would surely wish him success , not relegation. Not sure what he thinks about Lerner, but I thought his issues were more with Faulkner, not Lerner himself. 

MON is a busted flush as the premier league is concerned.

It reminds me of How Big Ron just to seem to suddenly lose it after we won the League Cup in 94.  He never really had a successfuly stint at a Football Club again after that.

Completely agree but you cannot disregard O'neil's Leicester past and how much he would love to relegate us

Disagree - MON is very close with Lambert and would surely wish him success , not relegation. Not sure what he thinks about Lerner, but I thought his issues were more with Faulkner, not Lerner himself. 

he also recommended Keane to Lambert

It reminds me of How Big Ron just to seem to suddenly lose it after we won the League Cup in 94.  He never really had a successfuly stint at a Football Club again after that.

We seem to be a kiss of death in terms of managerial careers! GT went on to England and it all went downhill from there never to recover. Little did nothing of note afterwards, JG same, Big Ron, O'Leary, Venglos (went on to lower european leagues???), McLeish, I honestly cannot think of any manager who has left us to then go on to bigger and better things.

I used to think it was something to do with Douglas Herbert but looking at it now it can't be all his fault! 

We seem to be a kiss of death in terms of managerial careers! GT went on to England and it all went downhill from there never to recover. Little did nothing of note afterwards, JG same, Big Ron, O'Leary, Venglos (went on to lower european leagues???), McLeish, I honestly cannot think of any manager who has left us to then go on to bigger and better things.

I used to think it was something to do with Douglas Herbert but looking at it now it can't be all his fault! 

It's a gypsy curse, I tells ya!

• Like 2

This season i'm less confident of staying up more than before. In previous years Lambert has kept the same style for every game. He had belief in the team and adopted the same style of play whether we were home or away and we managed to scramble over the line. This season is different, he changes his team, style and tactics each game and it smacks of desperation. Add to that we don't have a consistent team of coaches (or even an assistant manager) then it all makes me lose the belief i've had in previous years. 

We're running out of games and its very worrying, we're in total free fall. In my opinion there's only Leics, Burnley, QPR, Hull and us who will occupy the bottom five places. Sunderland will have enough and WBA and Palace will easily survive as they both have managers who will get the best out of their team.

Tomorrow is absolutely massive.

• Like 2

I honestly believe this is the season definer tonight, win and we'll be safe, probably needing another 11-12 points from the remaining games to stay up.

Lose and we'll probably go down, players heads will drop, fans will be even more vocal against lambert and every other team in the league will know they can beat us.

I honestly believe this is the season definer tonight, win and we'll be safe, probably needing another 11-12 points from the remaining games to stay up.

Lose and we'll probably go down, players heads will drop, fans will be even more vocal against lambert and every other team in the league will know they can beat us.

Draw? And things will be much the same as now.

Draw? And things will be much the same as now.

Its a must not lose more than a must win for me.

I think whoever loses this game is probably down because both teams are on horrible runs and will see this as their best chance of a win.

More important psychologically than anything else IMO.

• Like 1

This is because Villa is in that group along with the likes of Everton and Newcastle that are the last 'stepping stone' in the clamber for the top jobs. Trouble is there are very few United's or Citeh jobs. 

GT went on to manage England which is enough to bury anyone's career. 

Big Ron was the real exception, but this was because he'd already managed Man U. I think that had he been younger and he'd never managed at United's level before then after that season we finished second he would have been head-hunted for one of the big jobs no problem.

I think it's too early to decide how our season will end based on the result of one game. We could lose this and still stay up but equally we could win and go down.

Whilst that is obviously technically true, the reason I've been touting it as the tipping point is because of the confidence involved.

If we lose tonight, then whilst we obviously could win the next one, our confidence would be so low that I'd think it was pretty unlikely. Whereas if we win at least we'll have a bit of confidence to carry into our next winnable fixtures.

The players must be looking at these next few fixtures and thinking this is where they get some points.

To lose the first one, to someone like Hull, would be a huge knock.

There's much more on the line than 3 points

I think it's too early to decide how our season will end based on the result of one game. We could lose this and still stay up but equally we could win and go down.

Whilst that is obviously technically true, the reason I've been touting it as the tipping point is because of the confidence involved.

If we lose tonight, then whilst we obviously could win the next one, our confidence would be so low that I'd think it was pretty unlikely. Whereas if we win at least we'll have a bit of confidence to carry into our next winnable fixtures.

The players must be looking at these next few fixtures and thinking this is where they get some points.

To lose the first one, to someone like Hull, would be a huge knock.

There's much more on the line than 3 points

I'm fully aware of what's at stake, but it's still too early to say with any certainty where we'll finish based on the outcome of this game.