Relegation v4.0

BleedClaretAndBlue

I know he wouldn't, but if he came here, he could turn us around, an get every player performing?

Who, O'Neill?

No, he's an old fashioned version of Lambert.

While Lambert has some of his foibles, MON is stuck in the 70s.

I know he wouldn't, but if he came here, he could turn us around, an get every player performing?

Who MON?

Let's remember amongst the highs, we also had some long winless runs under him in season not dissimilar to Lambert actually (although of course I accept we were far far higher in the league).

06-07 we went from November to April winning about two league games IIRC and that was with a similar squad to what we have now.

And of course the collapses from March onwards in his final two seasons.

So no I don't think he's the sort who could come in and galvanise a relegation threatened team in desperate situation like Leicester anymore.

At Sunderland he was appointed long before xmas and had a transfer window to waste more money.

His time at Sunderland was bizarre. He went in and won a shit load of games around Christmas and new year, had a mediocre end to the season and then spent the entirity of next season struggling until they sacked him and brought in Di Canio.

His time at Sunderland was bizarre. He went in and won a shit load of games around Christmas and new year, had a mediocre end to the season and then spent the entirity of next season struggling until they sacked him and brought in Di Canio.

Remember when everyone was raving about James McClean aswell.

Shortly to be playing for Wigan in league one.

• Like 1

He gets average players over performing. There's no window to spend money in so he wouldn't be signing anyone, and he's a Leicester legend. If he goes there til may they'll stay up

Sunderland?

Different ball game. If he can't spend money he'll do what's necessary. It's when he has a budget that you're in trouble

Whilst goal scoring problems for us have been well documented - I feel the defensive frailties have slipped under the radar - when chelsea need a goal at 0-0 & 1-1 - they got one pretty quickly - Arsenal scored after 7 minutes last week.....

I am sure if we faced a half decent side - who for some reason needed to win by a big margin - they would score time after time.  Nowadays a lot teams take take control say 2-0, then just play out the game.

First 20 minutes v Hull are vital - we have to stay tight - if we do - I reckon we can go on and win - really hope Vlaar plays...

Different ball game. If he can't spend money he'll do what's necessary. It's when he has a budget that you're in trouble

Budget isn't linked to motivational ability though. The problem at Villa was that he wasted a substantial budget on average players, not that he failed to get the best out of them. At Sunderland, that ability deserted him in what was an utterly dour campaign devoid of any inspiration.

Whilst goal scoring problems for us have been well documented - I feel the defensive frailties have slipped under the radar - when chelsea need a goal at 0-0 & 1-1 - they got one pretty quickly - Arsenal scored after 7 minutes last week.....

I am sure if we faced a half decent side - who for some reason needed to win by a big margin - they would score time after time.  Nowadays a lot teams take take control say 2-0, then just play out the game.

First 20 minutes v Hull are vital - we have to stay tight - if we do - I reckon we can go on and win - really hope Vlaar plays...

I'm sorry but I think that's rubbish. Chelsea aren't so far out of sight that they can forget about goal difference.

I think Arsenal was a blip that was more down to Lambert's crazy tactics than anything.

• Like 1

I do think that it's not as simple as teams can just score when they want against us, we're generally not a walkover in defence, more that we're prone to lapses in concentration. I do agree that the first 20 minutes in the Hull game are vital, we're terribly weak and have often let goals in under Lambert's tenure in the first 15/20 minutes. I don't know why we have to take that amount of time to settle into the game but we do. If we can get to that point at 0-0 or dare I say it 1-0 up, then we have a cracking chance of getting something out of the game.

O'Neill is past it.

Completely agree but you cannot disregard O'neil's Leicester past and how much he would love to relegate us

I don't think how much he'd supposedly love to relegate us would really make that much of a difference.

I'm not so sure he holds that much animosity towards us. When he returned to Villa Park with Sunderland he was very subdued and his interview afterwards was almost melancholic. Like he knew he screwed up his best chance of making it big in England.

Remember when everyone was raving about James McClean aswell.

Shortly to be playing for Wigan in league one.

he nearly went to Hull on deadline day :o