Things You Don't "Get"

CrackpotForeigner

7 hours ago, BOF said:

Here's something I don't get. Steam damage in my phone or fitbit. Waterproof is not necessarily steamproof.

Would you expect your phone to withstand a lump of ice being thrown at it because its waterproof? ;)

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, bickster said:

Would you expect your phone to withstand a lump of ice being thrown at it because its waterproof? ;)

How big a lump and what type of phone does @BOFhave? 

Edited by Rds1983

This made the news.

It's been lumped in with a bunch of bizarre sports cheating claims, including chess (where a guy had been accused of using vibrating sex toys to cheat, bizarrely) and fishing (where 2 competitors were caught loading the weight of their catch with lead in order to win a cash prize). But in this one, unless I'm missing something, it's just a case of 'bad' play getting lucky.

9 minutes ago, Chindie said:

This made the news.

It's been lumped in with a bunch of bizarre sports cheating claims, including chess (where a guy had been accused of using vibrating sex toys to cheat, bizarrely) and fishing (where 2 competitors were caught loading the weight of their catch with lead in order to win a cash prize). But in this one, unless I'm missing something, it's just a case of 'bad' play getting lucky.

Yeah it's a weird one. Short of knowing the river, any 'cheating' she could do would only have strongly advised her not to compete against what was clearly a superior hand. He seems a bit of a dick.

3 hours ago, Chindie said:

This made the news.

Sorry, was there some poker being played? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

One of those times when even my most basic grasp of poker fails me.

I’ve played a few times, very low stakes just between friends who know more and would lightly guide me when playing.

My one and only success essentially being the opposite of Jez in the clip below and not realising I had a very good hand (full house maybe?) and as a result being so indifferent and blasé about it that my more experienced opponent thought I had nothing.

I can still see the look of annoyed exasperation he had while I asked “Oh so that’s a good hand is it?”

Edited by Mark Albrighton

55 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

One of those times when even my most basic grasp of poker fails me.

I’ve played a few times, very low stakes just between friends who know more and would lightly guide me when playing.

My one and only success essentially being the opposite of Jez in the clip below and not realising I had a very good hand (full house maybe?) and as a result being so indifferent and blasé about it that my more experienced opponent thought I had nothing.

I can still see the look of annoyed exasperation he had while I asked “Oh so that’s a good hand is it?”

Yeah, I've no idea what happened. Google tells me he had a better hand so I guess she just bluffed him? 

4 hours ago, Chindie said:

This made the news.

I have no idea whats happening here, what I do know is a great pair of boobies when I see them. 😆

3 hours ago, Chindie said:

Basically, his hand is fairly strong, so he raises, she calls the raise when she has trash. Then when the first 3 community cards are dealt he is pretty strong - he's 1 card from a straight flush meaning in the next 2 cards if a club, a 6 or a Jack is dealt, he's exceptionally likely to have the best hand (if it's a 6 or Jack of clubs, he absolutely has the best hand), so he bets again. She's got nothing, she's currently playing high card and maybe thinking she can chase a flush or a straight, but it would be pretty unlikely, but she meets the bet anyway. At the next card nothing really changes except it's less likely either of them makes a hand (he now has 1 chance to make the flush/straight/straight flush, she's still got nothing and she is very unlikely to make a strong hand), he raises the bet as he has a strong position, she raises that bet, he raises all in, she calls despite the fact she's got absolutely nothing. The final card helps neither of them but means she wins the hand with high card.

Basically it's 'bad' play - the way the hand is being played everything in the book says she should have folded - she had a crap hand, all the evidence suggests she's competing against a stronger hand, and the community cards should have made her think the chances that she is facing any hand that could beat her is very high, but she does it anyway and gets lucky with no card coming through to make his hand.

It's being alleged she cheated somehow, but the only way she can do that is if she knew which card would come on the final community card, which she couldn't. She's claimed she figured he was bluffing, which might be the case but even then paying the hand that way with those cards is... not recommended. I think it's more a case that she's just played the hand badly and got lucky, which serious poker players don't like - you shouldn't play in a way that isn't logical, you shouldn't make decisions that are illogical in favour of getting lucky.

I watched it and it was like my wife was playing, betting on nothing because she thought she had a great hand. It's **** infuriating as it's hard to beat someone who plays like that. 

Â