Things You Don't "Get"

CrackpotForeigner

To continue the speed humps theme of another thread. 

A road near me doesn't have those pavement to pavement speed humps.  It has those 2 individual humps seperate from each other with angular sides and flat road between them and between the pavement. 

Anyway the best way to tackle these is to get the centre of the hump right in the middle of the car.   If your wheels are wide enough apart you only need to slow down a little. 

Anyway what always amazes me (I saw this last night) is the number of people who take them by plonking one wheel as close to the pavement as possible and putting the other wheel right over the highest point of the speed hump,  forcing them to slow down to about 2mph and putting maximum stress on their car. 

What the **** is wrong with these people? 

Edited by sidcow

10 hours ago, Xela said:

Might be controversial, but i'll go with it...

The (many) women who date Ryan Giggs. Have they no self worth*? Even now, when he's a known womaniser and serial cheater, including banging his sister-in-law for years, they still throw themselves at him. He's currently dating a much younger 'model'.

Are they that desperate for a meal ticket that they would date an absolute prick like that? Put some value on yourself ladies. 

* I'm not victim blaming, its more a wider question of women dating arseholes and Giggs being the perfect example. 

It not just footballers and men with money. You'll see many women who date absolute knobbers and get treated like crap but can't let go. 

24 minutes ago, sidcow said:

To continue the speed humps theme of another thread. 

A road near me doesn't have those pavement to pavement speed humps.  It has those 2 individual humps seperate from each other with angular sides and flat road between them and between the pavement. 

Anyway the best way to tackle these is to get the centre of the hump right in the middle of the car.   If your wheels are wide enough apart you only need to slow down a little. 

Anyway what always amazes me (I saw this last night) is the number of people who take them by plonking one wheel as close to the pavement as possible and putting the other wheel right over the highest point of the speed hump,  forcing them to slow down to about 2mph and putting maximum stress on their car. 

What the **** is wrong with these people? 

Also puts the most pressure on each side of your suspension but in opposite directions

But if were on about those speed bumps, it's amazing how many residents seem to think its a good idea to park alongside them when there's loads of space ahead and beind them, it's like they deliberately want their car damaged

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

This is probably more directed to us VTers who were yoofs back in the 80s  (that said, I am sure it still goes on today to a degree), but the soccer casuals....in particular their apparel.

Now, why would you spend a week's wages on a stone island/lacoste/aquascutum/Boss etc., top or jacket and then run the risk of it getting ruined in the fights they look to have ?? Rolling around a bit of wasteland mud wrecking my £750 CP Company kagoul just so I can drop the swede on some other casual scally !?

This is truly a thing I don't get and haven't for over 30 years 

Edited by mottaloo

14 minutes ago, mottaloo said:

This is probably more directed to us VTers who were yoofs back in the 80s  (that said, I am sure it still goes on today to a degree), but the soccer casuals....in particular their apparel.

Now, why would you spend a week's wages on a stone island/lacoste/aquascutum/Boss etc., top or jacket and then run the risk of it getting ruined in the fights they look to have ?? Rolling around a bit of wasteland mud wrecking my £750 CP Company kagoul just so I can drop the swede on some other casual scally !?

Weren't they all fakes anway? 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, mottaloo said:

You've made an assumption with regards to paying.

There were brands that were introduced to the UK by Soccer Casuals like Kappa definitely for one and possibly Sergio Tachini for another. What used to happen was that the casuals would follow their team in Europe, most notably Liverpool and en mass they'd steam through sportswear shops and steal as much as they could in as short a time as possible. It very soon became an organised thing. Liverpool were notorious for it and other teams also followed suit. The clothes then became a uniform and badge of honour. But because of that, the brands then started selling in the UK and then sportswear shops in the UK would be targeted by the lesser teams. The teams in Europe would then try to source more rare in the UK brands and so on, it became really competitive.

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, mottaloo said:

Well, my own particular chapter of the sportswear / leisurewear / casuals / post mod brigade we used to have a thing for jeans.

We would buy the absolutely most expensive designer jeans we could.

Then cut the labels off. So only people that knew how various brands did their stitching could compliment you on your denim.

From memory, I had a pair of Fiorucci jeans that I took the old knife and scissors to. They had cost a couple of weeks wages, but worth every penny when one of the local faces complimented me on my now scalped Fiorucci.

I am reminded of this story by my missus, whenever I suggest the price of Converse or Fred Perry is a bit silly.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Weren't they all fakes anway? 

Nowadays there is plenty of "snide" (I believe the term is) stone island gear for example and @bickstermakes a good point of lots of it being robbed and/or sold on to the local scallies. Mind you, even if I'd bought a knock off lacoste sweater for £20 knowing it was on the rack of Flannels the week before I'd still not wear it to a tear up !

5 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Well, my own particular chapter of the sportswear / leisurewear / casuals / post mod brigade we used to have a thing for jeans.

We would buy the absolutely most expensive designer jeans we could.

Then cut the labels off. So only people that knew how various brands did their stitching could compliment you on your denim.

From memory, I had a pair of Fiorucci jeans that I took the old knife and scissors to. They had cost a couple of weeks wages, but worth every penny when one of the local faces complimented me on my now scalped Fiorucci.

I am reminded of this story by my missus, whenever I suggest the price of Converse or Fred Perry is a bit silly.

Jeez man, I'd never cut the labels off ! I'd want every fecker to see what I had on !

I'd love a pair of evisu jeans with the big, painted white or red "m" logo once I've lost a bit more weight and I'll mince up and down Brindley place proudly parading my now skinnier arse 😃

4 hours ago, mottaloo said:

danny-dyer-1530616502.gif?crop=1xw:1xh;c

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, mottaloo said:

Flannels

Yes! I was trying to remember where I used to get my clobber from when I was 18 and buying designer labels. Couldn't remember the name of the place. Assuming that is the one that has been in the arcade for about 25 years?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Xela said:

Yes! I was trying to remember where I used to get my clobber from when I was 18 and buying designer labels. Couldn't remember the name of the place. Assuming that is the one that has been in the arcade for about 25 years?

Yeah that's the place. Where the shop assistants were far too beautiful to help.

Or perhaps that was my inferiority complex kicking in as they sneered at my Lonsdale joggers ?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, mottaloo said:

Yeah that's the place. Where the shop assistants were far too beautiful to help.

Or perhaps that was my inferiority complex kicking in as they sneered at my Lonsdale joggers ?

No doubt ;)

Autograph was the other place I used to shop. 

Had no qualms about spending a weeks wage on a pair of jeans and a t-shirt! 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, mottaloo said:

The irony is heavy as Flannels is owned my Sports Direct. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Xela said:

There's a shop at Merry Hill where you need permission to get in, that might be a Flannels.

I remember buying an Adidas jacket from Bank for £50 (10-15 years ago) and I still love 80s trainers. I don't get the attraction of any other designer stuff though, Stone Island, Super dry etc etc

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Talldarkandransome said:

There's a shop at Merry Hill where you need permission to get in, that might be a Flannels.

I remember buying an Adidas jacket from Bank for £50 (10-15 years ago) and I still love 80s trainers. I don't get the attraction of any other designer stuff though, Stone Island, Super dry etc etc

I have finally managed to wean myself off 80scasualclassics website after spending shedloads on fila, Sergio Tach, ellesse and Lois gear....although I almost caved in and bought some bjorn borg diadora tennis shoes for £150 made with kangaroo leather or so they said.

Adidas gazelles were a particular weakness with me.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, sidcow said:

The irony is heavy as Flannels is owned my Sports Direct. 

Purchased them in 2017. 

The first Flannels was Nottingham in 1995, with Brum and Newcy following a year later. 

I've just looked and there is a Flannels at the Fort now!

1 minute ago, mottaloo said:

I have finally managed to wean myself off 80scasualclassics website after spending shedloads on fila, Sergio Tach, ellesse and Lois gear....although I almost caved in and bought some bjorn borg diadora tennis shoes for £150 made with kangaroo leather or so they said.

Adidas gazelles were a particular weakness with me.

Yep Diadora we're my first pair of trainers I bought myself at school.

I now have Gazelles, Sambas and LA trainers.

I can't find any Nike Omegas or Adidas Harvards or Adidas Triestes

• Like 1

Â