Things You Don't "Get"

CrackpotForeigner

The Isle of Man TT, how is it allowed; we're now up to 5 dead in this years event. There were 11 killed in 2005 and there's only been one year since 1937 without a fatality.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

8 hours ago, will87 said:

The Isle of Man TT, how is it allowed; we're now up to 5 dead in this years event. There were 11 killed in 2005 and there's only been one year since 1937 without a fatality.

Yep, if it was any other sport it would be banned or have the safety regulations heavily changed. It’s just ridiculous and in its current form not fit for purpose. Imagine if F1 had the same ratio of deaths in a single season. 

On 11/06/2022 at 05:33, mjmooney said:

World's gone mad. 

The wife and I went to a wedding,about 30 years ago where the food was that type of food that is really made just to look at.The food you see on "Master chef" On the way home after the reception,we stopped for fish and chips.  

• Like 1

From my experience if its done right the food you see on master chef or more specifically in Michelin star restaruants is made with such high quality ingredients and its so rich that it will fill you up 

The moaning about the portion sizes is a bit of a myth by people who've never tried it or done it properly 

Bad imitations of it or it done cheaply won't ever work though 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Stevo985 said:

I've been to a few Michelin Star restaurants and I've never left hungry. And I'm hungry after a large dominos to myself

as a self confessed food slob , i did a taster / chefs menu thingy at the Shard a few months back , was a 50th present from one of my clients ... when I saw the menu I thought , "Hope there is a kebab van nearby for later" ..but i was blown away by the food and completely stuffed by the end  ... i did have to skip one course as it contained nothing but green stuff , but to their credit they substituted it for me with something meat based 

hasn't given me the urge to cook at home MasterChef  style but I can see why people do enjoy that sort of dining experience 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

as a self confessed food slob , i did a taster / chefs menu thingy at the Shard a few months back , was a 50th present from one of my clients ... when I saw the menu I thought , "Hope there is a kebab van nearby for later" ..but i was blown away by the food and completely stuffed by the end  ... i did have to skip one course as it contained nothing but green stuff , but to their credit they substituted it for me with something meat based 

hasn't given me the urge to cook at home MasterChef  style but I can see why people do enjoy that sort of dining experience 

Yep I had the same reaction when I did one of my first ever tasting menus which was at Lasan in Birmingham (Indian restaurant. Not micelin star but definitely fine dining)

After the first couple of courses I was thinking "this is delicious but I'm going to be starving by the end of it". But I was absolutely stuffed.

Also with a tasting menu there usually is a "main" course that is larger than the other courses and a bit more substantial.

At the end of the day these restaurants are at the top end of dining and cost lots of money. People aren't going to be happy to pay that money and leave hungry whether the food looks nice or not

• Like 1

There's been a Michelin star restaurant in town for about 10 years or so, the head chef is known to be an absolute prick and got divorced so his ex-wife took over a cafe in the park and took his chefs with her to work in it.  Now he has decided to close down his restaurant in a huff, hopefully he learns his lesson not to be a word removed but being a chef, probably not.

3 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Yep I had the same reaction when I did one of my first ever tasting menus which was at Lasan in Birmingham (Indian restaurant. Not micelin star but definitely fine dining)

After the first couple of courses I was thinking "this is delicious but I'm going to be starving by the end of it". But I was absolutely stuffed.

Also with a tasting menu there usually is a "main" course that is larger than the other courses and a bit more substantial.

At the end of the day these restaurants are at the top end of dining and cost lots of money. People aren't going to be happy to pay that money and leave hungry whether the food looks nice or not

Ive been to lasans a few times, really enjoyed it and fiesta del asado too and that was never getting a star but was good 

Not sure on the fallout between the chef and the group, Akhtar Islam now has 2 new restaurants in brum Opheem and Pulperia, during corona I got one of Opheems cook at home boxes, basically 10 plastic sealed bags worth of different Indian microwave meals for £60, sounds horrendous... Was incredible, 4 of us couldn't eat it all in one sitting, my parents got another 2 nights out of it, value was brilliant, it was stunning food

18 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Ive been to lasans a few times, really enjoyed it and fiesta del asado too and that was never getting a star but was good 

Not sure on the fallout between the chef and the group, Akhtar Islam now has 2 new restaurants in brum Opheem and Pulperia, during corona I got one of Opheems cook at home boxes, basically 10 plastic sealed bags worth of different Indian microwave meals for £60, sounds horrendous... Was incredible, 4 of us couldn't eat it all in one sitting, my parents got another 2 nights out of it, value was brilliant, it was stunning food

I think Lasans may have changed relatively recently to more of a traditional curry house (in terms of how food is ordered) and no longer offer a tasting menu, but I could be wrong.

It would be wasted on me now, but when I ate meat going there was incredible

Edit: just googled it and that's bollocks so ignore me :D 

Edited by Stevo985

Â