Things You Don't "Get"

CrackpotForeigner

12 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

I went into H&M to get a couple of cheap t-shirts for work and they sell adult size t-shirts with stuff like Donald Duck and Spongebob on.  Is there really a market for that kind of shit?

I guess so. There might be an (un)ironic reason for wanting to wear it. It’s been going for a while as evidenced by Dave McFly before he started always wearing suits to the office.

06145A09-7429-4D47-AD9C-AF7B29E464F0.jpeg.95a955e361525d922f507ccbb31eb77b.jpeg

Slightly akin to this, I was thinking about t-shirts with writing on them earlier, a whimsical observation or similar. Something with more than a couple of words anyway, which might take me a few seconds to read, the wearer simply walking might make it slightly trickier to read.

When I see someone wearing one I’m always curious what it says, but equally I feel like I can’t read it as I’m worried I’d look like I’m staring, which particularly if it’s a woman wearing such a t-shirt isn’t going to make me look good.

I don’t think I should feel particularly awkward, the message on the t-shirt is presumably there to be read, equally the wearer is presumably of the same opinion. Nevertheless I don’t feel I can spend too long looking at it, so I’m often left wondering what the exact gag was.

• 2 weeks later...

People that pull up to traffic lights that are on red but stop beyond the white line. And not people who then race away at top speed. I could at least understand why they're trying to gain a few yards (It's stupid but at least there's logic). I'm talking about people who are in no rush but still stop well beyond the line.

Why are you doing that? What are you gaining from it? You must know why the white line is there?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

People that pull up to traffic lights that are on red but stop beyond the white line. And not people who then race away at top speed. I could at least understand why they're trying to gain a few yards (It's stupid but at least there's logic). I'm talking about people who are in no rush but still stop well beyond the line.

Why are you doing that? What are you gaining from it? You must know why the white line is there?

More annoying are the ones that cross the white line (sometimes by a considerable distance) on green to turn right and stay where they are when the lights change. No you dumb f***s it was your right of way until your flow of traffic was cleared. At most junctions they can't even see the lights now

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

Same for people who pull out in front of you and then proceed to drive 10 mph under the speed limit.

• Like 1

On 24/07/2022 at 18:36, sharkyvilla said:

I went into H&M to get a couple of cheap t-shirts for work and they sell adult size t-shirts with stuff like Donald Duck and Spongebob on.  Is there really a market for that kind of shit?

Disney isn’t my choice (but I think if I ever saw a ducktales shirt I’d buy it) but I do have Super Mario, Zelda, SNES, wrestling and football shirts. I also have a few band t shirts. My favourite was one I had with a picture of the worm with his scarf from Labyrinth on it. 

Im 37. I also don’t really care what other people think about what shirts I’m wearing. 

• Like 2

The only non-plain t shirts I own are: 

A Rotterdam 82 celebration with the goal commentary 

The Who 'UK Tour 1973' 

Big Big Train (prog band) 'Wassail' 

Mile Twelve (bluegrass band) 

A custom-made 'Clark, McGuinn, Crosby, Hillman & Clarke' 

• Like 1

Sorry to bring football into OT, but I Don't Get all these posters saying how they're excited and looking forward to the new season. 

I'm full of dread, foreboding and pessimism, as always. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 23/07/2022 at 20:14, BOF said:

Eating al fresco.

Marry me, Brian? We shall live happily ever after in blissful indoor dining heaven. 

I don’t think I’ve ever agreed with a post more, or anything more appropriate for this thread. 

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Complete list of things Mike and I disagree on:

1. Curries

2. Hip hop music and whether or not it can be alright sometimes. 

3. Degree of optimism. 

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Sorry to bring football into OT, but I Don't Get all these posters saying how they're excited and looking forward to the new season. 

I've never ever been so indifferent to a season starting. This is the least interested I've been in football that I can remember.

Makes me a little sad, but it is what it is.

• Like 3

On 23/07/2022 at 19:14, BOF said:

Eating al fresco.

Yeah, that fancy lettuce is a waste of time.

Oh, does it?

Well, in that case, sitting in a beer garden on a sunny day, pint, pub food... marvellous. Or by the side of a Mediterranean harbour, glass of cold wine, some kind of salad with those lovely ripe tomatoes, maybe some fried or barbequed fish... what's not to like?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, blandy said:

Yeah, that fancy lettuce is a waste of time.

Oh, does it?

Well, in that case, sitting in a beer garden on a sunny day, pint, pub food... marvellous. Or by the side of a Mediterranean harbour, glass of cold wine, some kind of salad with those lovely ripe tomatoes, maybe some fried or barbequed fish... what's not to like?

giphy.gif

53 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

I'm full of apathy if I'm honest 

If villa finish 8th or 14th I think I can just carry on, the days of villa ruining my weekend are long gone, I'll no doubt get infuriated at certain moments during the season (looking at you PGMOL...) if we start to flirt with Europe or relegation I'll probably get more involved but being a mid table "nothing" club has some positives, I'm honestly not sure if I'll even watch tomorrow, I plan (in the sun with a beer) to but if something comes up then I won't (because of the sunshine and beer I'm sure the wife will find something...) 

I've moved on to the NFL, expecting to be more attached to that this year

• Like 1

Just now, villa4europe said:

moved on to the NFL 

That's the problem for me - I'm not really interested in any other sport (at least not enough to get emotionally involved). It's either the Villa or nothing. Every season I consider sticking with 'nothing', but I invariably let the Villa build up a grain of hope... and then destroy it. 

Just now, Designer1 said:

I don't think anyone will tbh 😉

thats a problem i have

for 10 years i played football on a thursday night, now i play football on a wednesday night

means i always wake up on a thursday feeling the after effects and thinking that its friday

took  my mate to the airport this morning at 7 am ... was surprised at the amount of people out jogging ,  hiking  / walking etc 

WTF is wrong with these people , only time I'm usually up at 7 am is if i'm coming home from a night out  , who the heck gets up at 6am and thinks , right time for my morning run !!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mjmooney said:

See I’m the complete opposite! I don’t get all the posters that aren’t excited !!

8 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

took  my mate to the airport this morning at 7 am ... was surprised at the amount of people out jogging ,  hiking  / walking etc 

WTF is wrong with these people , only time I'm usually up at 7 am is if i'm coming home from a night out  , who the heck gets up at 6am and thinks , right time for my morning run !!

I’ve always wanted to be these people.  I tell myself every night tomorrow is the day it starts. This has been going on about 15 years now. 

Edited by Vive_La_Villa
  • Like 3

Â