Things You Don't "Get"

CrackpotForeigner

As it happens, Critical Role is amazing so I don't begrudge them the top spot, but considering this is purely from subscribers, so doesn't include ad revenue, merch, Youtube, donations (yeah people literally just gift these streamers more money)...I knew there was money in it, but this much? God damn. 

• Like 1

Just now, Davkaus said:

Yes. Gogglebox for virgins, basically ;) 

Perfect. 

My grandson watches a few of these sort of people on YouTube, it's harmless in the end but hopefully he doesn't ask for the digits on the back of my card. 

3 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

.I knew there was money in it, but this much? God damn. 

Yeah, when my youngests channel 'blew up' I was amazed at how much they were getting per month. They have over 110k followers now and its already going to pay for all their driving lessons and a decent car.

Fair play to them to be honest (and of course it's saving me and the wife a bundle of cash 😉).

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

Perfect. 

My grandson watches a few of these sort of people on YouTube, it's harmless in the end but hopefully he doesn't ask for the digits on the back of my card. 

Only if he doesn't develop a gambling addiction along the way.

• Like 1

I am in the middle, I watch some of this stuff, but some of the rest baffles me.

Critical Role is amazing. for those not familiar, it's a stream of a dungeons and dragons group, but all of them are professional voice actors. I play DnD myself often, but I can happily sit and watch these guys for hours because they put on a fantastic show that is just a bit like what I do....but so much better. They're a group of trained professionals who put in a huge amount of work to create a polished show, they deserve every bit of that success.

I also quite like gaming tournaments, I watch the occasional Rocket League pro match even though I play myself, and used to watch loads of pro Starcraft, those guys look like they're basically playing a different game to me.

I don't really get the ones that are just a guy playing their way through single player games, but if people enjoy it, fair play.

Edited by Davkaus
  • Like 2

Massive nostalgia hit right there, that's probably the most famous one right after Leeroy. Takes me back to simpler days :) 

The problem with that video is their recruitment forum got spammed with people who wanted to join a guild that did things like that. They basically had nobody else interested other than dickheads.

Edited by Davkaus
  • Like 1

I remember taking my son to Minecon in London (2015) and then queuing up to meet Jeb ,  Stampylongnose and DanTDM so he could have a photo and an autograph with them 

(i know they get paid for these things , but tbf they were all fantastic with the fans who were predominantly young kids )

I didn't think they were still a thing but I had a look on google and DanTDm is still raking in around $100,000 a  month from youtube videos

4 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

Only if he doesn't develop a gambling addiction along the way.

Going back a few years my wife’s best friend had a lovely surprise when her Visa bill arrived to find out she had spent £3000 on the game Roadblocks the previous month. It’s not just that her son got access to her card it’s the fact that somebody at Barclaycard didn’t get a grip on the fact that a 40-year-old woman was spending £3000 on a game mainly played by 10-year-olds, or more likely didn’t give a shit

• Haha 1
  • Shocked 1

23 minutes ago, Follyfoot said:

Going back a few years my wife’s best friend had a lovely surprise when her Visa bill arrived to find out she had spent £3000 on the game Roadblocks the previous month. It’s not just that her son got access to her card it’s the fact that somebody at Barclaycard didn’t get a grip on the fact that a 40-year-old woman was spending £3000 on a game mainly played by 10-year-olds, or more likely didn’t give a shit

I know it does and can happen but from personal experience I’m surprised ,  my credit card company (Amex)are pretty on the ball with spending habits and usually call to verify if there is something they don’t like …(it’s automated via text these days ) 

5 hours ago, Davkaus said:

WTF, @Seat68, that's not the right video. It's meant to breakdown with Scatman John :D 

I'll never get why he called himself "Scatman". I guess we didn't have the interweb at the time,, but if we did, you have  to be extremely careful googling for he's videos.😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, tonyh29 said:

I know it does and can happen but from personal experience I’m surprised ,  my credit card company (Amex)are pretty on the ball with spending habits and usually call to verify if there is something they don’t like …(it’s automated via text these days ) 

I think the likes of Amex  probably are. But the lower you go down spectrum , say to capital one level all they probably are interested in is getting the balance to full and applying the higher rate of interest regardless of purchase. I would imagine her card with a capital one or lower because I could not see het qualifying for Barclaycard there again I am being a bitch probably because I’ve never liked her

12 hours ago, foreveryoung said:

I'll never get why he called himself "Scatman". I guess we didn't have the interweb at the time,, but if we did, you have  to be extremely careful googling for he's videos.😂

I believe "Scat" in that context means like a weird freestyle Jazz singing thing.

All that "bee bop a bodaboom" is called "scatting"

I think anyway. I'm too scared to google it to confirm I'm right :D 

• Haha 1

Â