Things You Don't "Get"

CrackpotForeigner

20 minutes ago, a m ole said:

I know the answer is “nothing” but it always makes you think “what goes through his head?” with cases like this, all the planning and preparation and he doesn’t consider the consequences. You really think you’re not going to get caught? You really think one night of fulfilling this sick fantasy is worth what’s coming for the rest of your life?

I agree with what everyone’s said about capital punishment and so on, but if he takes matters into his own hands?

🤷🏻‍♂️

I've taken it out of the cheer you up thread as it's obviously the wrong place. 

I guess people like that are similar to serial killers, maybe that's what he could have become.  Just people with zero emotion or empathy, they have no concept of the evil and horror they are inflicting. 

They probably understand it's wrong but have no guilt or remorse. 

What mainly amazes me with these people is not so much what they've done, but how they have functioned as human beings into adulthood.  OK often they are reclusive/loners but often they have a circle of family and friends who are all utterly amazed they did it. 

I think I've said on here before that my Godfather killed my godmother who was chief bridesmaid at my parents wedding. This was nearly 40 years ago now and he's been released.  A couple of years ago my parents had an open garden and he turned up.  My Dad had actually gone out so mum was on her own with just another female friend who was out the front. 

When she recognised him he tried to talk like nothing had happened.  She obviously told him to leave.  He'd murdered her best friend for **** sake. You've got to have some kind of massive lack of understanding to just turn up in someone's house like that.  They had moved house as well so he'd obviously done some research about where they lived now and then found out about the open garden as an excuse to get in.  Ice cold man. 

Edited by sidcow
  • Shocked 1

42 minutes ago, sidcow said:

I've taken it out of the cheer you up thread as it's obviously the wrong place. 

I guess people like that are similar to serial killers, maybe that's what he could have become.  Just people with zero emotion or empathy, they have no concept of the evil and horror they are inflicting. 

What mainly amazes me with these people is not so much what they've done, but how they have functioned as human beings into adulthood.  OK often they are reclusive/loners but often they have a circle of family and friends who are all utterly amazed they did it. 

I think I've said on here before that my Godfather killed my godmother who was chief bridesmaid at my parents wedding. This was nearly 40 years ago now and he's been released.  A couple of years ago my parents had an open garden and he turned up.  My Dad had actually gone out so mum was on her own with just another female friend who was out the front. 

When she recognised him he tried to talk like nothing had happened.  She obviously told him to leave.  He'd murdered her best friend for **** sake. You've got to have some kind of massive lack of understanding to just turn up in someone's house like that.  They had moved house as well so he'd obviously done some research about where they lived now and then found out about the open garden as an excuse to get in.  Ice cold man. 

Jesus, must be scary knowing he’s comfortable turning up like that and he’s out.

The added part of the Couzens guy being a copper, surely he knows if he goes to prison he’s not gonna be able to stay in gen pop without being tortured, he’s going to be imagining watching a clock alone until he dies. Maybe he doesn’t mind the thought of that, who knows.

40 minutes ago, a m ole said:

Jesus, must be scary knowing he’s comfortable turning up like that and he’s out.

Not as scary as your parents picking someone capable of murder as your Godfather.

giphy.gif

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, sidcow said:

The guy was 48 and did this. Has he harboured this desire since childhood? Or has something snapped that made him want to do it. Like you said, they function as a normal human being with partners and kids, yet are capable of this. 

Not wanting to ruin the  chronographers thread but....

Watches

1) I don't see the need in this day and age

2) I really don't like the unbalanced feeling of having something on one wrist and nothing on the other.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, bickster said:

Watches

2) I really don't like the unbalanced feeling of having something on one wrist and nothing on the other.

I hardly ever wear one as well, I just always forget to put one on. Maybe if I go to a wedding or something.

I remember the craze of the ‘ice watch’ as well, everyone had them for about a year then I’ve never seen one since. I bought about 3 or 4 £10 Casio’s in different colours a few years ago and cycled through them but don’t bother now and I’ve also got my Apple Watch which I never wear as well. 

Edited by Ingram85

Why is it that people that have a tendency to blast music at stupid volume from their car/house/phone always have god awful taste? There seems to be an inverse correlation between the quality of the music and the volume at which it must be played...

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, bickster said:

A significant weight on my left wrist ensures the same muscle tone as 2 minutes of frantic activity with my right wrist. 😉

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Mandy Lifeboats said:

A significant weight on my left wrist ensures the same muscle tone as 2 minutes of frantic activity with my right wrist. 😉

So you appear to be saying that people who wear watches are right rocket polishers

27 minutes ago, bickster said:

Watches

I’ll happily admit it’s essentially a piece of jewellery. I wear watches because they look good, not because I need them to tell time.

That being said, I tend to look at my watch to get the time rather than check my phone. Which I think is kind of healthy anyway. I really shouldn’t be checking that phone any more often than I am already. 

6 minutes ago, El Zen said:

I’ll happily admit it’s essentially a piece of jewellery. I wear watches because they look good, not because I need them to tell time.

That being said, I tend to look at my watch to get the time rather than check my phone. Which I think is kind of healthy anyway. I really shouldn’t be checking that phone any more often than I am already. 

I sit at a computer all day or drive a car, I really don't need to look at my phone to tell the time. You are rarely 30 seconds away from some sort of public device displaying the time

• Like 1

I think I might have a watch somewhere, in one of those biscuit tins of old phones and charger leads for things you don’t have anymore, alongside the loose batteries you’re not sure are live or dead.

Can’t say I’m overly bothered one way or the other by whether other people are in to watches. But I do enjoy it when I encounter a rep or a sales bod of some type and they have one of those huge chromed bricks on their wrist as some sort of status thing. 

2 minutes ago, bickster said:

I sit at a computer all day or drive a car, I really don't need to look at my phone to tell the time. You are rarely 30 seconds away from some sort of public device displaying the time

Yep, totally fair. I wear it mostly out of vanity.

But I also spend much of my time in a classroom, so a watch is actually of practical use in my job. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bickster said:

Watches

I've not warn a watch since lockdown. 

With my eyesight I can't read the dial anyway unless wearing reading glasses so it's just been habbit more than anything, but since getting back to normal life I've still not bothered, I can read the time on my phone easy enough. 

I might consider one of these new fitness tracker digital ones if you can have the time displayed in big digital numbers. 

1 hour ago, JoshVilla said:

Why is it that people that have a tendency to blast music at stupid volume from their car/house/phone always have god awful taste? There seems to be an inverse correlation between the quality of the music and the volume at which it must be played...

Because you have to be an absolute tool to want to blast it out in the first place.  If you're an absolute tool your going to have shit taste in music. 

I expect @Xela is always blasting out Oasis from his phone in public for example. 

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

I think I might have a watch somewhere, in one of those biscuit tins of old phones and charger leads for things you don’t have anymore, alongside the loose batteries you’re not sure are live or dead.

Can’t say I’m overly bothered one way or the other by whether other people are in to watches. But I do enjoy it when I encounter a rep or a sales bod of some type and they have one of those huge chromed bricks on their wrist as some sort of status thing. 

1) I'm glad I'm not alone in the collection of old useless tech.  I'm not generally a hoarder but I've got way too much of that shit. 

2) stupidly expensive watches and showing them off / being impressed by them is something I really really don't get.  Generally the price of the watch is one of the first thing they will mention when talking about them which is probably all you need to know about that person to be honest. 

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, sidcow said:

1) I'm glad I'm not alone in the collection of old useless tech.  I'm not generally a hoarder but I've got way too much of that shit. 

2) stupidly expensive watches and showing them off / being impressed by them is something I really really don't get.  Generally the price of the watch is one of the first thing they will mention when talking about them which is probably all you need to know about that person to be honest. 

There's a difference between someone with a real interest/hobby and a materialistic tw4t.

For me it's the micro engineering involved to create something that can be a useful tool for oil rig divers, military etc. Something incredible, an old trade that may dissappear in the future, there have been hardly any advances made in mechanical watch engineering in over a hundred years, those old boys were geniuses. It's just an interest same anything else, you get it or you do not. I like the idea of owning something that if serviced properly and looked after that will keep it working for probably 500 years, although I doubt I'll live to see that.

Anyway, I'm in the wrong thread.

• Like 3

Â