Things You Don't "Get"

CrackpotForeigner

On 02/10/2021 at 10:15, bickster said:

Not wanting to ruin the  chronographers thread but....

Watches

1) I don't see the need in this day and age

2) I really don't like the unbalanced feeling of having something on one wrist and nothing on the other.

And yet I find that thread really interesting. I like listening to people who have an interest in something and know what they're talking about, regardless of topic. I get what you mean from a functional point of view. No one needs a watch in this day and age. But as a thing to collect or an investment and as something to admire as a work of art, they do interest me.

• Like 2

On 02/10/2021 at 10:31, Mandy Lifeboats said:

A significant weight on my left wrist ensures the same muscle tone as 2 minutes of frantic activity with my right wrist. 😉

6siB62P.jpg

On 02/10/2021 at 17:15, bickster said:

Not wanting to ruin the  chronographers thread but....

Watches

1) I don't see the need in this day and age

2) I really don't like the unbalanced feeling of having something on one wrist and nothing on the other.

2 ) you can get around that by carrying a grandfather clock,this way you will be using both hands and that uneven feeling should go away.

• Haha 4

6 hours ago, Anthony said:

The aspiration to own a car.

If you need one, fine. But actually *wanting* one? What is wrong with you?

If I had the money and the space, I'd have about 30 cars! Find them fascinating. I was obsessed with them as a kid and the interest has remained all through my life. I'm not massively keen on 'modern' cars (post 2000 etc) but I do appreciate they are safer and objectively better in terms of reliability and technology. 

1 hour ago, Don_Simon said:

People who write happy birthday messages to their children on Facebook. Their child is two years old. Cannot read. Does not have social media. 

WHY DO PEOPLE DO THIS?! I DONT GET IT!

Attention seeking

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Don_Simon said:

People who write happy birthday messages to their children on Facebook. Their child is two years old. Cannot read. Does not have social media. 

WHY DO PEOPLE DO THIS?! I DONT GET IT!

It's the same as professing your love to your other half on social media... Why??? they're probably say right next you whilst you're typing it ffs - just tell them to their face. 

It's not quite as bad as the sad sacks who dedicate love songs on radio 2 on a Sunday morning though - that shit makes me cold... 

i suppose some folk have an irrational need to be noticed/acknowledged or have a bit of attention drawn their way. What has society become?? 

• Like 1

The weird grip Boris Johnson seems to have over half the population, no matter what he does. I don't mean this as an anti-Tory thing... I get why people are conservative, and I'm not one of those Labour voters who thinks all Tories are scum. But Boris in particular... I just can't understand how he still gets a sympathetic hearing.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, theboyangel said:

It's the same as professing your love to your other half on social media... Why??? they're probably say right next you whilst you're typing it ffs - just tell them to their face. 

It's not quite as bad as the sad sacks who dedicate love songs on radio 2 on a Sunday morning though - that shit makes me cold... 

i suppose some folk have an irrational need to be noticed/acknowledged or have a bit of attention drawn their way. What has society become?? 

It's not just attention seeking. Also insecurity about cheating etc. Some people think by making it very obvious online that they're with someone, that somehow that will put a barrier around the relationship. Obviously it doesn't work.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

The weird grip Boris Johnson seems to have over half the population, no matter what he does. I don't mean this as an anti-Tory thing... I get why people are conservative, and I'm not one of those Labour voters who thinks all Tories are scum. But Boris in particular... I just can't understand how he still gets a sympathetic hearing.

Because a huge number of people in this country are word removeds. Just like Boris et al.

1 minute ago, Ingram85 said:

Because a huge number of people in this country are word removeds. Just like Boris et al.

That just seems too simplistic, though - how do words removed benefit from an incompetent word removed running the country? Surely they'd rather have a competent word removed in charge?

1 minute ago, KentVillan said:

That just seems too simplistic, though - how do words removed benefit from an incompetent word removed running the country? Surely they'd rather have a competent word removed in charge?

Benefit doesn't come into it, they identify with him as being similar to them. They see that he doesn't give a toss about anyone else and neither do they.

Creating selfishness as a national trait is Thatcher's greatest achevement

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

Largely it’s down to ignorance.

I’m nowhere near as knowledgeable on politics as most who venture into and contribute to the relevant threads. But I’m almost certain that by simply venturing into those threads and reading the various views or developments, I’m far more informed and aware of the current political landscape than a sizeable portion of the country.

Plus, while Johnson is a word removed and a total liability, if you DON’T follow things closely, he probably comes across as likeable. He’s a buffoon, but he’s our buffoon, that sort of thing. 

He’s posh and a bit of a character. Us Brits (English) seem to like that, the Eton thing keeps the whole social betters thing in place. But also, while he is posh, he’s also so charmingly befuddled that we don’t feel alienated by him. It doesn’t matter that he didn’t actually answer the question. He responded with enough vigour that it sounded like he appropriately answered the question.

Add to this his well earned reputation as a top shagger and that he’s occasionally seen holding a pint. What more do you need?

In addition to this, there are those (on all sides of the political spectrum to varying degrees) who, rather than acknowledge they may have got it wrong, just double down on their view. 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

Largely it’s down to ignorance.

I’m nowhere near as knowledgeable on politics as most who venture into and contribute to the relevant threads. But I’m almost certain that by simply venturing into those threads and reading the various views or developments, I’m far more informed and aware of the current political landscape than a sizeable portion of the country.

Plus, while Johnson is a word removed and a total liability, if you DON’T follow things closely, he probably comes across as likeable. He’s a buffoon, but he’s our buffoon, that sort of thing. 

He’s posh and a bit of a character. Us Brits (English) seem to like that, the Eton thing keeps the whole social betters thing in place. But also, while he is posh, he’s also so charmingly befuddled that we don’t feel alienated by him. It doesn’t matter that he didn’t actually answer the question. He responded with enough vigour that it sounded like he appropriately answered the question.

Add to this his well earned reputation as a top shagger and that he’s occasionally seen holding a pint. What more do you need?

In addition to this, there are those (on all sides of the political spectrum to varying degrees) who, rather than acknowledge they may have got it wrong, just double down on their view. 

Great answer, thanks. I suppose even when a lot of things are going wrong in the country, most people just get on with their lives, and don't pay too much attention to what's going on in Westminster.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Xela said:

If I had the money and the space, I'd have about 30 cars! Find them fascinating. I was obsessed with them as a kid and the interest has remained all through my life. I'm not massively keen on 'modern' cars (post 2000 etc) but I do appreciate they are safer and objectively better in terms of reliability and technology. 

Umm yeah, I was fascinated by them when I was a kid too. But you do know the planet is on fire yeah?

Bloke I work with when he's in a bad mood just sits and stews in the corner bringing the place down and extending his own misery instead of getting it out in the open and clearing the air, miserable get. 

• Haha 3

Â