Things You Don't "Get"

CrackpotForeigner

56 minutes ago, Phil Silvers said:

There's a difference between someone with a real interest/hobby and a materialistic tw4t.

For me it's the micro engineering involved to create something that can be a useful tool for oil rig divers, military etc. Something incredible, an old trade that may dissappear in the future, there have been hardly any advances made in mechanical watch engineering in over a hundred years, those old boys were geniuses. It's just an interest same anything else, you get it or you do not. I like the idea of owning something that if serviced properly and looked after that will keep it working for probably 500 years, although I doubt I'll live to see that.

Anyway, I'm in the wrong thread.

Yeah, take it to the boring thread :D

• Haha 2

9 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Yeah, take it to the boring thread :D

you're the foolish type that would rather ask alexa to play some crap then to play a good vinyl album on an ace system. be gone with you. old is good.

Edited by Phil Silvers
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, JoshVilla said:

Why is it that people that have a tendency to blast music at stupid volume from their car/house/phone always have god awful taste? There seems to be an inverse correlation between the quality of the music and the volume at which it must be played...

The volume of the music gets right up my nose,but tell you what brasses me off more,the fact that in their opinion we should ALL listen to and enjoy their music.

• Like 1

I do not believe in "the good old days".  There is no better time to be alive than today.  Compare me ro the richest man in the world of 1921.  I have better medical care than him.  I drive a better car than him.  I fly inbetter planes, I more comfort and get there quicker.  On the whole the past was rubbish.  

But I believe we should preserve the best of the past.  We don't need old mechanical watches.  But we don't need the Roseta Stone either.  To improve the future we need keep the best of the past.  I would rather own 1 quality watch that is 50 years old than 2 Apple Watches. My 50 year old watch will still be doing its job in 50 years from now.  By that time the Apple watches of today will be in landfill. 

That's why I love Villa Park.  History and quality has a value.  

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Mandy Lifeboats said:

I do not believe in "the good old days".  There is no better time to be alive than today.  Compare me ro the richest man in the world of 1921.  I have better medical care than him.  I drive a better car than him.  I fly inbetter planes, I more comfort and get there quicker.  On the whole the past was rubbish.  

But I believe we should preserve the best of the past.  We don't need old mechanical watches.  But we don't need the Roseta Stone either.  To improve the future we need keep the best of the past.  I would rather own 1 quality watch that is 50 years old than 2 Apple Watches. My 50 year old watch will still be doing its job in 50 years from now.  By that time the Apple watches of today will be in landfill. 

I'd rather sail out of Portsmouth on Victory then on some comfy hovercraft any day.

41 minutes ago, Phil Silvers said:

I'd rather sail out of Portsmouth on Victory then on some comfy hovercraft any day.

I remember going on a hovercraft with parents over the Channel. We had to turn back a quarter of the way across, it was far from comfy I can tell you. I remember finding a open door and looking outside, it was like a ******* cyclone, scary stuff.

• Shocked 1

4 minutes ago, Phil Silvers said:

Oh God, you again. I've never been on one, looks like a giant cushion. From what @foreveryoung says, your observation is correct Sid, happy now?

Screenshot_20210720-083520_Gallery.jpg

Yeah, on the choppy sea it's like trying to cross the channel on a bucking bronco. That's why they stopped the service ultimately, it was generally a sea of puke in the aisles. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Yeah, on the choppy sea it's like trying to cross the channel on a bucking bronco. That's why they stopped the service ultimately, it was generally a sea of puke in the aisles. 

Crikey, never knew that. How many cannons did they have, how would a hovercraft fare against a Pirate ship? 

Edited by Phil Silvers
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, bickster said:

Not wanting to ruin the  chronographers thread but....

Watches

1) I don't see the need in this day and age

2) I really don't like the unbalanced feeling of having something on one wrist and nothing on the other.

I always said i'd treat myself to a 'nice' watch when I hit 40. I was looking at a Submariner or GMT-II but the price madness with them now means I'm not going to get involved in all that. Having to pay £4k more then list price to buy one second hand (not that you could ever get one new anyway).

On your second point, I've seen a few YouTubers now wearing a normal watch on one wrist and a smartwatch on the other. Least it balances things up! 

6 hours ago, sidcow said:

I expect @Xela is always blasting out Oasis from his phone in public for example. 

Without doubt!

On the above subject, when I was on my break last week, I was sat in the beer garden of a pub at about 9pm... I was the only person out there. Just getting a bit of fresh air with my pint of HPA and two young lads came out... i'd guess late teens. Bottle of lager each and they sit a coupe of tables down and started chatting to each other and then playing music on their phones to each other. My word, what a load of shite! Grime I think it was. But when they were talking to each other, they were talking like west coast rappers! They were two white lads from rural Worcestershire. Made me chuckle. 

1 hour ago, Mandy Lifeboats said:

I don't completely agree. Yes, it's better now than 100 years ago, but for me, peak western civilisation was about the year 2000. The Millennium. I think since then the world has been slowly going to shit. I think we are too reliant on tech now in our everyday lives. We've all seen the Terminator films. We know how its going to end! 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Xela said:

Without doubt!

On the above subject, when I was on my break last week, I was sat in the beer garden of a pub at about 9pm... I was the only person out there. Just getting a bit of fresh air with my pint of HPA and two young lads came out... i'd guess late teens. Bottle of lager each and they sit a coupe of tables down and started chatting to each other and then playing music on their phones to each other. My word, what a load of shite! Grime I think it was. But when they were talking to each other, they were talking like west coast rappers! They were two white lads from rural Worcestershire. Made me chuckle. 

When I picked up my lad from his 6th form Prom I gave a lift home to another lad with him.

By the way he was talking I was expecting to take him to a council estate somewhere, imagine my surprise when I found myself dropping him outside a large house in one of the most expensive roads in Solihull.  I had to chuckle. Everything was Bro this and Bro that innit. 

I saw a report a couple of weeks ago that regional accents are being watered down as people nationally are sounding more and more Southern. However the truth is that London especially and in turn other areas are all sounding more and more mock Gangsta with the kidz.  It's permeating into adverts and TV announcers I've noticed too. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Xela said:

Without doubt!

You tend to go away by yourself, which I am a little jealous of. What do you find to do all day. I am going to Vegas alone next year, happy to do it just conscious that I might end up just drinking fast as there isn't anyone to talk to between swigs of wine. 

46 minutes ago, sidcow said:

saw a report a couple of weeks ago that regional accents are being watered down as people nationally are sounding more and more Southern. 

And about bloody time 

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

that I might end up just drinking fast as there isn't anyone to talk to between swigs of wine. 

Drink beer instead and people will talk to you :P

Head to Fremont street and you’ll never drink alone ..:my last trip to Vegas , minute someone hears your accent they will want to talk to you .

3 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

Drink beer instead and people will talk to you :P

Head to Fremont street and you’ll never drink alone ..:my last trip to Vegas , minute someone hears your accent they will want to talk to you .

Yeah I am a friendly ish person alcohol or not but it may be what I do. Don't specifically need friends just ways to stop just getting hammered quickly. 

13 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

Yeah I am a friendly ish person alcohol or not but it may be what I do. Don't specifically need friends just ways to stop just getting hammered quickly. 

Have a soft drink between each alcohol drink. Take a book or get a book in your phone/tablet/ebook

One of my absolute favourite bits of holiday is sitting out on the balcony at night on my own reading a book with some cold beers. 

Edited by sidcow
  • Like 4

5 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Have a soft drink between each alcohol drink. Take a book or get a book in your phone/tabmet/ebook

One of my absolute favourite bits of holiday is sitting out on the balcony at night on my own reading a book with some cold beers. 

This would definitely work for me. I am a Vegas nerd so days will be full, having a drink I can open a book or a magazine. 

Â