Things You Don't "Get"

CrackpotForeigner

Hes a grade A bell end 

And they've got this alnost mythic status about them and just how great and influential they are

But some of the smiths stuff is brilliant, proper top tier, I think it Marr for me though, my ex used to think that it was the juxtaposition that worked so well, the miserable dour Morrissey played off against the jangly lively happy sound of Marr 

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Morrissey and in particular how he's supposed to be some incredible artist and brilliant songwriter.

Just write a load of dour, depressing dirge and suddenly its all amazing

Morrissey is just a chancer.

He was a visionary. I mean he foresaw the furore around the use of Jack in the Euros

When you say it's gonna happen "now"
well, when exactly do you mean?
see I've already waited too long
and all my hope is gone

7 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Morrissey and in particular how he's supposed to be some incredible artist and brilliant songwriter.

You have never been in love
Until you've seen the sunlight thrown
Over smashed human bone

**** off Morrissey you clearing in the woods.

I mean this is a better bloody lyric than that:

I'm dreaming away
Wishing that heroes, they truly exist
I cry, watching the days
Can't you see I'm a fool in so many ways
But to lose all my senses
That is just so typically me

I say this is someone that despised The Smiths. They were dull and not my cup of tea even though musically they were supposedly right up the street that I should be on. That said, without Morrissey a thousand bands that I loved growing up would not exist. Also my wife was a fan and as indie kids in the 80s were thin on the ground I perhaps wouldn’t have met her without the Smiths. 
Of course Morrissey is a **** idiot racist that needs shooting now, but you know I met my wife. 

2 minutes ago, blandy said:

He was a visionary. I mean he foresaw the furore around the use of Jack in the Euros

When you say it's gonna happen "now"
well, when exactly do you mean?
see I've already waited too long
and all my hope is gone

Surely he's actually writing about the release of the new Villa kit there?

• Haha 2

He was always a bit of a clearing in the woods and now he's a grade A clearing in the woods, but there are some great Smiths lyrics.

So I broke in to the palace with a sponge a rusty spanner. She said "I know you and you cannot sing", I said "That's nothing, you should hear me play piano".

And now I know how Joan or Arc felt as the flames rose to her Roman nose and her walkman started to melt.

GIF by FOX International Channels

Edited by Paddywhack
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

47 minutes ago, Paddywhack said:

He was always a bit of a clearing in the woods and now he's a grade A clearing in the woods, but there are some great Smiths lyrics.

So I broke in to the palace with a sponge a rusty spanner. She said "I know you and you cannot sing", I said "That's nothing, you should hear me play piano".

And now I know how Joan or Arc felt as the flames rose to her Roman nose and her walkman started to melt.

Oh, yeah.  I've changed my mind, it's genius at work.

• Haha 2

46 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

Why people still carry cash.

Because some places only take cash?

My chippy and my Chinese takeaway only take cash the tax dodgers.

Also, I bought a load of stuff from my local butchers yesterday and decided last minute to buy a pasty which was £2.  I was embarrassed I didn't just have £2 to give to him and had to do another card payment for so little.

I still keep coins in the car as it's often easier to put coins into a parking meter, a surprising number still haven't got tap and go yet.

Have you tried buying a burger from a van outside Villa park on a card lately?

If I'm honest though I would say the last 18 months if it wasn't for the tax dodging takeaways I probably wouldn't have gone to a cashpoint.

Edited by sidcow

1 hour ago, sidcow said:

burger from a van outside Villa park

Covid resistant mass of unidentified protein. Still buy them 😁

Yannick Bisson Reaction GIF by Murdoch Mysteries

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Wainy316 said:

Paid cash in a curry house last night. They take card but i've had those notes in my wallet for over a year! 

3 hours ago, sidcow said:

You have never been in love
Until you've seen the sunlight thrown
Over smashed human bone

**** off Morrissey you clearing in the woods.

I mean this is a better bloody lyric than that:

I'm dreaming away
Wishing that heroes, they truly exist
I cry, watching the days
Can't you see I'm a fool in so many ways
But to lose all my senses
That is just so typically me

I still haven't forgiven Penguin books for (a) publishing the rocket polisher's autobiography at all, and worse, (b) publishing it as a black cover Penguin Classic, in the company of Homer, Chaucer, Cervantes, et al. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wainy316 said:

I haven't used cash at all since the start of the pandemic - until this week. I sold a guitar, and the bloke paid me in cash, so I suddenly had £200 in banknotes. CBA to take it into a bank, so I'm paying cash in Morrisons. 

3 hours ago, sidcow said:

Just write a load of dour, depressing dirge

That’s nothing. You should hear him play piano! 

• Haha 4

On 06/07/2021 at 23:14, Ingram85 said:

Speedway.

Guy I used to work with was considered the world's top referee in Speedway (referee's in Speedway is a very difficult job I understand, they can get into all sorts of controversy, they're far more involved in all sorts of areas integral to the running of the race than in other motor sports) 

Anyway he was a nutter at work, used to keep a sock puppet in his briefcase and bring it out and talk to it for opinions on how negotiations were going when someone proposed something he wasn't happy with 😂😂

Edited by sidcow

On 06/07/2021 at 23:37, bickster said:

Used to be very big in Brum, mates at school used to go to watch the Speedway in Perry Barr all the time

I remember being absolutely astonished when my mum (who hated ALL sports) casually mentioned that she used to love going to Perry Barr speedway when she was first going out with my dad. She said the atmosphere was absolutely electric, but you had to accept being sprayed with ashes! 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I don't get why cricketers very often don't wear their very expensive sunglasses despite it being very sunny, but rather keep them perched on their caps.

26 minutes ago, mottaloo said:

I don't get why cricketers very often don't wear their very expensive sunglasses despite it being very sunny, but rather keep them perched on their caps.

Depends which way they are facing in relation to the sun I guess

Â