Things You Don't "Get"

CrackpotForeigner

15 hours ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Cake. I don't get it at all. It's normally way too sweet, too creamy, too yukky. It's full of calories and not a very good meal.

But still people talk it up like it's some sort of pinnacle of dining. You should get a slice for desert. Your wife/gf whatever will make it. People will bring it and people will offer it. 

It's like it's some kind of culturally accepted food for great occations, that's supposed to be liked, despite it's incredibly filling, doesn't have very good flavours and is very unhealthy.

**** that. I'd prefer pretty much anything else. 

Completely agree. But I'm like that with most sweet stuff. Doughnuts, pastries, desserts in general. I'm glad I don't have the sweet gene. I can talk though. I'm a savoury whore who will no doubt die in a vat of cheese and onion crisps.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

I don't touch wine, gets me pissed too quick and not in a fun way, don't think I've ever bought a bottle of wine that wasn't for cooking, drank a fair few free ones at weddings and Xmas parties etc

Champagne is shite, prosecco is just about OK, asti is good, some asti with your turkey at Xmas is about all I stretch to 

It's all opinions, but I feel saying prosecco is better than champagne is a bit like saying smirnoff ice is better than a cider. I've had some very good proseccos I guess, but I find them generally always absolutely always, too sweet.

I just don't like sweet stuff. It's like ciders really. I've had some very good ciders recently that are very dry, but the second I get one that's a bit too sweet, it's a horrible experience.

Edited by KenjiOgiwara

7 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

On cider my dad will walk in to a pub and ask what dry ciders they have 

That's not something I don't get that's something I just outright don't understand 

Why? There's a huge variation in ciders. The sugar levels for a start. Lagers tend not to vary in sweetness to a huge degree but ciders can go from diabetes in a glass to cotton mouth sour.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, sidcow said:

Much of how @KenjiOgiwara describes Cake is how I feel about Champagne.

This obsession with it being some kind of special drink and essential for celebrations. It's just shit, it tastes shit and costs a fortune. Whichever ancient marketing guru positioned Champagne onto it's pedestal was a genius, almost (but not quite) as clever as the Guinness marketing team. 

I used to work in the wine trade. Next time you're in a situation to buy champagne, buy an English sparkling wine instead. Usually the same grapes, made in the same way, and thanks to global warming in the climate they're meant to be grown in. But a fraction of the price as there's no big marketing drive behind it. A £25 bottle of champagne is usually not so great, but a £25 bottle of English sparkling wine is usually pretty good and would cost about £60+ if it was from Champagne.

That being said, Krug and Don Perignon do taste fantastic, but they're not worth the price in my mind. 

3 minutes ago, Rds1983 said:

I used to work in the wine trade. Next time you're in a situation to buy champagne, buy an English sparkling wine instead. Usually the same grapes, made in the same way, and thanks to global warming in the climate they're meant to be grown in. But a fraction of the price as there's no big marketing drive behind it. A £25 bottle of champagne is usually not so great, but a £25 bottle of English sparkling wine is usually pretty good and would cost about £60+ if it was from Champagne.

That being said, Krug and Don Perignon do taste fantastic, but they're not worth the price in my mind. 

Thanks for the advice 👍 however I can safely say this is not a dilemma i expect to be facing!

We've got about 4 bottles of Champagne which we've had for years as presents, and I've poured away a few bottles recently because they were so old (I think I am right in saying that "standard" Champagne is not something that just keeps/improves with decades of storage?)

1 minute ago, sidcow said:

Thanks for the advice 👍 however I can safely say this is not a dilemma i expect to be facing!

We've got about 4 bottles of Champagne which we've had for years as presents, and I've poured away a few bottles recently because they were so old (I think I am right in saying that "standard" Champagne is not something that just keeps/improves with decades of storage?)

Generally not. Very few wines would improve from decades (30+ years) storage let alone off the shelf ones. Wines are essentially living things with a shelf life and at some point it turns and becomes worthless. 

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Rds1983 said:

Generally not. Very few wines would improve from decades (30+ years) storage let alone off the shelf ones. Wines are essentially living things with a shelf life and at some point it turns and becomes worthless. 

I tend to buy a Bollinger I like that I keep for special occations. Definitely drinkable.

5 hours ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

I quite like wine, but I'm no expert and I can't taste the finer differences like some do at all. In fact I'm embarrassingly bad at it. But I dare say the less sweet a bubbling wine is, the better.

In my personal opinion champagne and cremant is much much better than prosecco, not that I'd even tell an Italian that.

I ordered a case of wine yesterday, including Crémant de Loire and Crémant de Bourgogne. My favourite in Crémant d'Alsace, but my usual suppliers had no stock. Prosecco is usually too sweet for me, but there are some drier ones that have some flavour. Champagne is so variable it's not worth the marketing influenced price just to find out. I leave all the "brands" but Laurent-Perrier, Veuve Clicquot and Piper-Heidsieck, none of which are worth the price, but taste good.

YMMV

• Like 3

I've just put a bottle of Vina Sol in he fridge. Usually £8 per bottle but you can normally find it on sale for £6-£6.50 somewhere. I'm sure wine aficionados would look down on it but I love it. 

I f***ing love chocolate cake, but would happily never have another bite. I don’t have the willpower to resist if my mom has baked a cake for a family birthday party, but would never ever bake or purchase cake for myself. 

Others have said it, but when working out and staying in shape is a big part of your life, the thought of «wasting» hard work by having a trivial piece of cake is almost deeply unpleasant. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, bickster said:

I'm sorry, that's just a file under does not compute for me

this

I run 3 - 4 times a week , play tennis and what not  .... it just means i can eat 3 Toblerones a day instead of 1

counting calories is for people like Stuart Broad with his new haircut

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

What do people classify as a cake? Is it just the bigger more traditional stuff or do things like brownies, millionaire shortbread and muffins fall into that category? My 3 Yr old is obsessed with baking (major sweet tooth) and makes the wife bake at least once a week. Luckily for me she mixes the recipes up and replaces the sugars with more natural sweet stuff like fruit, honey, Yoghurt or peanut butter. Still not healthy but better then they usually would be. 

1 hour ago, Davkaus said:

I don't think I've had cake in a couple of years. I save my empty calories for beer :) 

Me Too Samesies GIF

Although if someone does happen to kindly bring round a whole box of delicious cakes then they're all getting dispatched sharpish.

Â