Things You Don't "Get"

CrackpotForeigner

i always thought it was a tax man thing, America has whatever weird set up where they're all doing their own and then getting huge tax bills because they do it wrong and unless you're wesley snipes you have to do a bit of quick work to settle the tab

if you owe the IRS $250,000 you get your agent to get you an advert

• 3 weeks later...

St. Vincent. I'm not buying it. It's pretentious. It's contrived. She's attractive, but I think if she weren't, there wouldn't be a career there. Just underwhelming.

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, maqroll said:

St. Vincent. I'm not buying it. It's pretentious. It's contrived. She's attractive, but I think if she weren't, there wouldn't be a career there. Just underwhelming.

She’s a seriously excellent guitarist, so I think even if she was “just” a session musician, she’d have a career.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, blandy said:

She’s a seriously excellent guitarist, so I think even if she was “just” a session musician, she’d have a career.

World's ugliest guitar though. 

Screenshot_2021-07-04-15-35-32-14_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12~2.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, maqroll said:

Not only is she absolutely adorable, she's an incredibly talented, creative musician...which makes me think I should enjoy her music—but nope, there's absolutely nothing in there for me. Every time she comes out with a new album, I think to myself, "Oh, well maybe she's stumbled upon something I like this time." But not yet. Not yet.

11 minutes ago, JamieZ said:

Not only is she absolutely adorable, she's an incredibly talented, creative musician...which makes me think I should enjoy her music—but nope, there's absolutely nothing in there for me. Every time she comes out with a new album, I think to myself, "Oh, well maybe she's stumbled upon something I like this time." But not yet. Not yet.

yes, she seems pleasant in interviews. the music leaves me cold though.

13 minutes ago, JamieZ said:

She's attractive, but I think if she weren't, there wouldn't be a career there

i realize this comes off as rather sexist. 

sorry, mom

2 minutes ago, maqroll said:

And that's the most frustrating part! I want to like her! When I want to like someone, I can almost always find something in there to grab onto. But nope. She's got no edge, nothing...there's no pulse to it, no substance, nothing pithy. It's just noodling.

20 minutes ago, maqroll said:

Do you know the connection between Annie Clarke (St Vincent) and Dylan Thomas?

14 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Halfway through this I thought you were insulting a rather obscure nation, and then I was just confused by the other half.

No, we all love the Grenadines!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, bickster said:

Do you know the connection between Annie Clarke (St Vincent) and Dylan Thomas?

They're both crap. 

Except Dylan Thomas. 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, maqroll said:

do tell

Well, the connection is Nick Cave. His song “There She Goes My Beautiful World” (off Abbotoir Blues/ Lyre of Orpheus) has a line about Dylan Thomas dying drunk in St Vincent Hospital, and that's where the St Vincent moniker comes from

• Like 3

3 hours ago, maqroll said:

Had to Mooney.

Still none the wiser.

• Like 1

Â