Things You Don't "Get"

CrackpotForeigner

I've never understood the tribalism when it comes to phones/tablets/computers. Its not as though Google and Samsung are the small plucky underdogs.

I use (older) Apple products because i'm too lazy to learn anything new, plus they have been supremely reliable for me. YMMV.

If I wasn't so tight I'd get a Galaxy Fold as they look the mutts.  

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Xela said:

I've never understood the tribalism when it comes to phones/tablets/computers. Its not as though Google and Samsung are the small plucky underdogs.

I use (older) Apple products because i'm too lazy to learn anything new, plus they have been supremely reliable for me. YMMV.

Yeah likewise, it’s a winning combination of laziness to change and not really caring about having the best option.

I’m sure there’s stuff I’d like about other brands, but I’m fairly indifferent. I have to double check in settings to confirm what model I currently have such is my lack of interest.

You only seem to get two OS generational updates with your Android device, meanwhile my 6 year old iPhone still has the latest OS

Also, because Android itself is configurable by the device manufacturer, there is no standard Android, some things are deliberately turned off in the background by the manufacturer to improve the performance of their device, which is ok unless you actually need to use that feature, when it completely sucks, impossible to tell though before you get the phone

1 hour ago, Xela said:

A couple of points:

Firstly, yeah, I couldn’t care less, I’ve currently got an ipad and a Samsung phone.

Second, I read the last line and thought you really fancied a Ford Galaxy.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, bickster said:

You only seem to get two OS generational updates with your Android device, meanwhile my 6 year old iPhone still has the latest OS

Also, because Android itself is configurable by the device manufacturer, there is no standard Android, some things are deliberately turned off in the background by the manufacturer to improve the performance of their device, which is ok unless you actually need to use that feature, when it completely sucks, impossible to tell though before you get the phone

Five years on Pixels, but it's far less important as all the system apps are decoupled from the OS and updated like all other apps.

Android allows you to change pretty much everything. My phone works how I want it to, not how a manufacturer wants it to. If it ever got one that didn't, it would go straight back.

15 hours ago, bickster said:

impossible to tell though before you get the phone

Then you return it :mrgreen:

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, limpid said:

Five years on Pixels, but it's far less important as all the system apps are decoupled from the OS and updated like all other apps.

Android allows you to change pretty much everything. My phone works how I want it to, not how a manufacturer wants it to. If it ever got one that didn't, it would go straight back.

One thing I've noticed is how long it takes to update apps on Android - bloody ages, like 10 times as long, at least, compared to iOS. Neither OS is perfect and they're not that different in most regards, but by and large, like @bickstersays, the Apple one is more consistent - you buy an iPhone and you know exactly how it will work and it'll get updated for years. with Androids, all the different manufacturers implement it differently and there's more to relearn. If you stick with (say) Google or Samsung or whoever , then you get just as tied into Google's/Samsung's eco-system as with apple phones. And you can't bin off all the Bixby or Samsung or whatever apps you don't want and they use up space on the phone.

21 hours ago, mjmooney said:

I think my view may be affected by my rabid dislike of all things Apple. 

Years ago I used to have a real dislike of Apple, then I got an iPhone 6s and absolutely loved it.

Have you ever owned an iphone or iPad? I suspect after a short while you’d be converted.

1 hour ago, blandy said:

you get just as tied into Google'

One big difference though. You can use the google or Microsoft services on an Iphone. You cant use any I-bollox on another phone.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, blandy said:

Yes you can. I do.

Oh come on, you cant say that and not give me examples :D

I'm mostly on about imessages, icloud storage, videocalls (natively, not the stupid link) , icloud email (imap is pretty useless without contacts) and contacts are not easy to sync.

Just now, Tegis said:

Oh come on, you cant say that and not give me examples :D

I'm mostly on about imessages, icloud storage, videocalls (natively, not the stupid link) , icloud email (imap is pretty useless without contacts) and contacts are not easy to sync.

icloud (via browser) and e mail work fine on my Android. Apple music is on Android. Contacts was easy to export and import to google contacts/outlook, Same with browser bookmarks and stored passwords. The one area I've struggled is trying to get playlists from iTunes/Music to work with any of the Android music players. I'm old school in as much as i have the actual files stored on the phone rather than these streaming services - I've found I like Hash player as the best player for me, but it's proven impossible to get my playlists to be picked up by it. I had to just make some folders and put the songs in those, and then select the folder I want, treating its contents as a playlist.

At various times I've thought "actually, I prefer this phone to the other one", but at the moment the apple one is the better one. Neither are that new, and there are things about both that the other does better.

26 minutes ago, blandy said:

icloud (via browser) and e mail work fine on my Android. Apple music is on Android. Contacts was easy to export and import to google contacts/outlook, Same with browser bookmarks and stored passwords. The one area I've struggled is trying to get playlists from iTunes/Music to work with any of the Android music players. I'm old school in as much as i have the actual files stored on the phone rather than these streaming services - I've found I like Hash player as the best player for me, but it's proven impossible to get my playlists to be picked up by it. I had to just make some folders and put the songs in those, and then select the folder I want, treating its contents as a playlist.

At various times I've thought "actually, I prefer this phone to the other one", but at the moment the apple one is the better one. Neither are that new, and there are things about both that the other does better.

So in other words, janky workarounds galore (even ignoring the itunes stuff) . You have to agree installing the Gmail app, Photos app, Google one app, Contacts app, Calendar app and have it seamlessly interchangeable between Iphone and Android devices, even at the same time, is a massively better solution?

edit:

Just to add, Google has disqualified themselves from the chat and video-call realm, they just cant help themself inventing and killing products left, right and center.  So that doesn't count :D

But at least most of them was cross compatible,

Edited by Tegis

53 minutes ago, Chindie said:

You're just a better person if you use Apple. Smarter, stronger, more potent, more unique, a beautiful individual getting on better in life. 

Everyone else is just subhuman scum.

Nailed it. I mean, why wouldn't you want an iPhone or a Mac? Do you have no aspirations?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Chindie said:

You're just a better person if you use Apple. Smarter, stronger, more potent, more unique, a beautiful individual getting on better in life. 

Everyone else is just subhuman scum.

That was pretty much the attitude I used to get from the Apple early adopters back in the 90s and early 2000s, that turned me against them. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Tegis said:

One big difference though. You can use the google or Microsoft services on an Iphone. You cant use any I-bollox on another phone.

I’ve only got an iPhone right now as it was my late mother in laws, and it was sitting in the drawer when my Sony died.

Ive never actually paid for a new phone ever, just had refurbs or pass me downs.

If my old HTCs hadn’t kept getting so hot they burned my fingers I’d still be using one of them

Â