Paul Lambert

limpid

5 hours ago, Wainy316 said:

Did a much better job than Gerrard if you consider the resources at each of their disposal

And Steve Bruce.

Lambert underrated at Villa. Doesn't mean he was any good of course, just underrated.

On 11/03/2022 at 15:31, Zatman said:

Lerner was shit but its a terrible excuse for Lambert, was managers with similarly small budgets doing wonders Swansea, Southampton, Stoke, Palace and Norwich were finishing above us with similar resources. Was it Lerner fault that Lambert decided to remove most of the senior players and crush any bit of value they had 

It runs so much deeper than just resources though. The club was crumbling down. That has an effect on morale and commitment levels. No on in their right mind would want to be part of Villa or give a shit about them in that period except the fans. Was just an awful, horrible club. And even the fans had pretty much had enough. It cannot be understated what a difference moving on from Lerner and Xia has had to the club from top to bottom. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

And Steve Bruce.

Lambert underrated at Villa. Doesn't mean he was any good of course, just underrated.

I agree with this. He was poor but I do think people overstate how bad a job he did on here. His net spend over his three seasons was around £40m-ish which isn't all that much, especially when the squad was pretty depleted anyway when he arrived and with a lot of deadwood.

His performances in the cups in general was probably one of the worst aspects of his tenure.

2012/13 - knocked out by League 2 Bradford and Championship Millwall

2013/14 - knocked out by Spurs and League 1 Sheffield United (at home as well)

2014/15 - knocked out by League 1 Leyton Orient (again at home)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tomaszk said:

And Steve Bruce.

Gerrard thankfully was only here for 11 months.

Nearly three years of Lambert. That's the problem. His tenure just went on and on with endless losing runs and indeed two separate 6-7 game spells when we didn't even score a goal!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

And Steve Bruce.

I don't think he can be overrated with a win percentage of less than 30% at Villa. Lerner was losing interest at Villa but we still had a midtable budget. It was absolute rank for the best part of 3 years and no amount of reinterpretation can change my mind on this.

• 5 weeks later...

The Lambert years were a real low point for us in our history, it was emblematic of what we had become, a team full of league 1 players. I remember on social media saying that we are aston villa, this is not good enough, we need better players and at the time was slaughtered for it, but its true, look at us now. We never deserved to fall that far and the situatiion was very avoidable, however for the most part we didnt really criticise the board or ownership and so i suppose they kept going down that route. Those wilderness years when we were beaten by the top teams at VP by embarassing scorelines were very very tough, it was a relief when we went down after those few years, we built back and managed to regain dignity

16 minutes ago, villan-scott said:

giphy.gif?cid=2154d3d7ythv7siaih1jnsd3n3

Lambert and Gerrard both being bumped - we need some transfer news quick sharp!

Remi Garde and Di Matteo threads are about to explode

• Haha 2

So so many managers in our history who were completely unemployable after we were the only suckers to offer them to run our famous club. 

So many bad choices. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, sidcow said:

So so many managers in our history who were completely unemployable after we were the only suckers to offer them to run our famous club. 

So many bad choices. 

I think the only manager in last 30 years or so to get a club higher up the pyramid was Bruce at Newcastle as Ashley wanted to piss off the fans

I think it serves to remind some of us that we know very little about how a manager will cope at our glorious club!

I remember our last game of the season under Mcleish - Norwich away... Villa fans serenading Lambert en masse and essentially "choosing" him. The board listened. We were absolute dogpooh.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DeadlyDirk said:

I think it serves to remind some of us that we know very little about how a manager will cope at our glorious club!

I remember our last game of the season under Mcleish - Norwich away... Villa fans serenading Lambert en masse and essentially "choosing" him. The board listened. We were absolute dogpooh.

Also serves as a reminder to how little fans know about football.

Sounds like many of those away fans at Norwich are on VT.

Â