Paul Lambert

limpid

On 01/03/2021 at 20:05, The Fun Factory said:

Utterly dreadful appointment. I fully expect them to rise up the table now he has left. If you look at his CV basically he has only done well for about 3 years at Norwich. The rest is mediocre to awful. If Celtic appoint him, even on a short term contract they will need their heads examining.

Yet I distinctly remember our fans cheering for him to join us when he was at Norwich…

How times changed 🤣

15 hours ago, Enda said:

The graphic’s positioning of the players is clearly hilariously off. But focusing on that instead of the fact that we did name those eleven players for a match (and almost all of them were regulars) is sort of missing the point. That squad was abysmal. Looking back, Lambert managed to stay up with absolute dross. He could have done worse with  the squad he had.

Yeah it's a bizarre shape in the picture. 5-3-2 was the actual lineup

Screenshot_20211027-110257.jpg

11 minutes ago, Mozzavfc said:

Yeah it's a bizarre shape in the picture. 5-3-2 was the actual lineup

Screenshot_20211027-110257.jpg

Average age is way off, should be probably 22. At a guess Guzan was oldest and was probably 27

2 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Average age is way off, should be probably 22. At a guess Guzan was oldest and was probably 27

Didn't notice that. I think it's calculated the average age of the players now

43 minutes ago, DJ_Villain said:

Yet I distinctly remember our fans cheering for him to join us when he was at Norwich…

How times changed 🤣

He was a young, up and coming manager when he was at Norwich with a very good record.

Safe to say he never realised that potential

2 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

He was a young, up and coming manager when he was at Norwich with a very good record.

Safe to say he never realised that potential

I remember those days…

when we were so excited of the prospect of signing Wes Hoolahan…

Looking back on it, those were some really desperate times…

2 minutes ago, DJ_Villain said:

I remember those days…

when we were so excited of the prospect of signing Wes Hoolahan…

Looking back on it, those were some really desperate times…

Luckily we had a young Jack Grealish coming through to bring positivity 😉

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Wainy316 said:

The Benteke, Weimann, Gabby front three was pretty handy towards the end of his first season.  I really thought we'd push on after that.

We played some lovely stuff at the end of that season and it really looked like we'd turned a corner. Seem to remember we came out flying beginning of the next season too (Tony Moon helping us to a 3-1 win at the Emirates and seem to remember us looking very good against Chelsea early on too?) 

We got found out after that and the less said about our foray into a possession-based approach the better, but with hindsight I take the view that as well as the limitations with the squad available, behind the scenes must have been chaos at that time, and I'm sure that played a big role in things unravelling during his time with us.

I think he did well to keep us up two years running, but he would've relegated us if he'd stayed, and we should have gone on to win the League Cup but got knocked out by Bradford. So some good and some bad really. 

1 hour ago, Wainy316 said:

The Benteke, Weimann, Gabby front three was pretty handy towards the end of his first season.  I really thought we'd push on after that.

liverpool couldnt live with that front 3, we had a 4 game spell away to them between 2012 and 2015 where we won 2 and drew 2 and that includes the 2-2 draw when gabby battered them but went off injured after going over the advertising boards and suarez dived to win a penalty

57 minutes ago, icouldtelltheworld said:

We played some lovely stuff at the end of that season and it really looked like we'd turned a corner. Seem to remember we came out flying beginning of the next season too (Tony Moon helping us to a 3-1 win at the Emirates and seem to remember us looking very good against Chelsea early on too?) 

We got found out after that and the less said about our foray into a possession-based approach the better, but with hindsight I take the view that as well as the limitations with the squad available, behind the scenes must have been chaos at that time, and I'm sure that played a big role in things unravelling during his time with us.

I think he did well to keep us up two years running, but he would've relegated us if he'd stayed, and we should have gone on to win the League Cup but got knocked out by Bradford. So some good and some bad really. 

A 29.6% win percentage for nearly three years work suggest that it was largely utter garbage with brief respites of occasional good play.

I still have flashbacks on Bradford after doing both home and away matches. We got it back to 2-1 and then gave a goal away at Valley Parade. I don' think I have ever been so angry after a match. Then at home as soon as Bradford got a goal apart we  lost the plot. By the end we had about 5 forwards but never looked liked scoring the 2 goals to get through. To get completely outplayed and outfought by a League Two side over 2 games was unacceptable and he should have been sacked there and then. We probably would have lost to Swansea in the final but still.

Yes his hands were tied but his track record since Villa hardly suggests he was a genius manager or even coach. I still believe under post MON era Lerner we had a mid table prem budget so you could say he underachieved. If it wasn't for Benteke we would have got relegated far earlier.

Edited by The Fun Factory

2 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

A 29.6% win percentage for nearly three years work suggest that it was largely utter garbage with brief respites of occasional good play.

Yes his hands were tied but his track record since Villa hardly suggests he was a genius manager or even coach. I still believe under post MON era Lerner we had a mid table prem budget so you could say he underachieved. If it wasn't for Benteke we would have got relegated far earlier.

My point was more about the general culture of the club back then rather than his hands being tied per se. I think any organisation where the owner has decided they want out is going to fall apart really, no surprise that things ended up the way they did. It's something I've reflected on more with time, and can only begin to imagine how much of a shambles the club must have been behind the scenes. Thank god those days are over. 

13 hours ago, The Fun Factory said:

That’s not such a bad win percentage. Win-one draw-one lose-one will get you over 50 points a year, safely midtable, and that’s a 33% win percentage.

Edited by Enda
Spelling

• 4 months later...
10 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Darren bent on talk sport today saying how much he couldnt stand paul lambert and still doesnt like him.

He doesnt seem to have been very popular

Norwich was clearly a fluke. If he didnt bring in Benteke on deadline day we would have went down with less points than 2016

His relative lack of success elsewhere pretty much makes that Norwich stint the definition of lightning in a bottle. 

Lying 23rd in League One when he takes over in August 2009, bringing them up to 12th Premier League by May 2012. That’s a jump of 55 places in under 3 seasons.

Has any club jumped higher in such a short space of time? I know Nigel Adkins got Southampton up twice but if my memory is right, he didn’t see the premier league season through.

Lambert was the last manager I strongly wanted us to appoint. Since the way it panned out, I’ve maintained a more indifferent attitude when the position becomes available. I was so convinced he was the right man.

Lesson learned.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Norwich was clearly a fluke. If he didnt bring in Benteke on deadline day we would have went down with less points than 2016

100% he has been a disaster everywhere else post villa. 

I really did thing he would fluke his way to celtic job or even scotland job. But luckily both escaped from him as manager

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

Darren bent on talk sport today saying how much he couldnt stand paul lambert and still doesnt like him.

He doesnt seem to have been very popular

Why am I not surprised. 

Â