Paul Lambert

limpid

I respect him by the most of the pre-relegation circling the drain managers (i.e. Mcleish, Sherwood, Garde) not that that's saying much. Had to operate in tight financial constraints and made some decent signings all things considered. There were times where we played decent football and it felt like we might be on the brink of breaking the rot  - I think it was the start of his second season after we beat Arsenal away and it looked like we might have a decent year before Benteke got injured against Norwich(?)

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, JPJCB said:

I respect him by the most of the pre-relegation circling the drain managers (i.e. Mcleish, Sherwood, Garde) not that that's saying much. Had to operate in tight financial constraints and made some decent signings all things considered. There were times where we played decent football and it felt like we might be on the brink of breaking the rot  - I think it was the start of his second season after we beat Arsenal away and it looked like we might have a decent year before Benteke got injured against Norwich(?)

I don't get the hate for Garde. He was completely and totally ineffective of course but the club was already at rock bottom when he came in anyway.

But yeah even though Lambert was undoubtedly poor from us, I feel he's a tad underrated on here.

• Like 2

Lambert was shocking. Should have been canned after that Bradford travesty. We also should have gone down a year (2?) earlier too as we beat arsenal away, high flying soton away, Chelsea and drew at anfield which no offense is a haul of points that shower of a team we had should never have got in a month of Sundays. Turn those 10 points into the more likely 1 to 2 we'd ordinarily have got and we'd have been bottom of the league probably

• Like 3

7 hours ago, VillaJ100 said:

We also should have gone down a year (2?) earlier too as we beat arsenal away, high flying soton away, Chelsea and drew at anfield which no offense is a haul of points that shower of a team we had should never have got in a month of Sundays. Turn those 10 points into the more likely 1 to 2 we'd ordinarily have got and we'd have been bottom of the league probably

That doesn't make any sense though, you can't just say 'if we didn't get those points we'd have had fewer points', the same goes for any team in any season.

If we'd lost our last three we'd be level with Brentford. But we didn't so we're not.

FWIW looking at some of the teams Lambert had to put out, we had no right to be in the Premier League. I think some of those lineups would be struggling in the championship. The football was dire, it was a miserable time, but I don't blame Lambert for it. I think he could have been a decent manager in the right circumstance but like so many before, a spell at the Villa broke the poor bugger.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, blunther said:

That doesn't make any sense though, you can't just say 'if we didn't get those points we'd have had fewer points', the same goes for any team in any season.

If we'd lost our last three we'd be level with Brentford. But we didn't so we're not.

FWIW looking at some of the teams Lambert had to put out, we had no right to be in the Premier League. I think some of those lineups would be struggling in the championship. The football was dire, it was a miserable time, but I don't blame Lambert for it. I think he could have been a decent manager in the right circumstance but like so many before, a spell at the Villa broke the poor bugger.

Lambert was good for a season, then after that he was dreadful. I remember that period where we kept losing games under him as teams kept scoring corners against us as ws were absolutely hopeless at them. We got humiliated by lower league sides in the cups too. The bradford one was unforgivable. We should have won the cup that year

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Lambert was good for a season, then after that he was dreadful. I remember that period where we kept losing games under him as teams kept scoring corners against us as ws were absolutely hopeless at them. We got humiliated by lower league sides in the cups too. The bradford one was unforgivable. We should have won the cup that year

Yeah Bradford was a complete **** up. Would have been the only time we'd have played a side you'd fancy beating in the final too.

I seem to remember about 25k turning up a couple of times. Also remember losing to I think QPR with about ten minutes to go and the ground was just empty. Must have been a few thousand left at the end.

Lichaj, Herd, Kevin Toner.... I don't know how we expected to defend playing players of that quality though. Lambert was hamstrung, and somehow managed to keep us up for a couple of seasons when we were utterly dire. It's more than some managers could have done is all I'm saying.

47 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Which season was that? First season we lost 8-0 and embarrassingly got knocked out over 2 legs by a 4th tier team 

The last one might be the only time it happened in English football history 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Mantis said:

I don't get the hate for Garde. He was completely and totally ineffective of course but the club was already at rock bottom when he came in anyway.

But yeah even though Lambert was undoubtedly poor from us, I feel he's a tad underrated on here.

Whoa there. He left us with a win percentage of less than 30% after over a hundred games. 8 nil to Chelsea. Bradford, Sheffield United, Millwall. Tonev. Senderos. 5-6 wins max at home all year. We go again.  The last entire last 12 months of this reign when we barely won apart from at Liverpool when the board decided to give him and flabby a new contract.

Lerner was turning off the taps but I think we were still being budgeted as a mid table premier league club and we barely looked like that at all in his entire time at Villa.  If he hadn't have bought Benteke we would have got relegated in our first season with him I have no doubt about that. 

He got completely found out and without Culverhouse he is even more clueless. If any club is stupid enough to give him a job, then I have my deepest sympathies for the supporters.

Edited by The Fun Factory
  • Like 1

54 minutes ago, blunther said:

Yeah Bradford was a complete **** up. Would have been the only time we'd have played a side you'd fancy beating in the final too.

I seem to remember about 25k turning up a couple of times. Also remember losing to I think QPR with about ten minutes to go and the ground was just empty. Must have been a few thousand left at the end.

Lichaj, Herd, Kevin Toner.... I don't know how we expected to defend playing players of that quality though. Lambert was hamstrung, and somehow managed to keep us up for a couple of seasons when we were utterly dire. It's more than some managers could have done is all I'm saying.

We loat to millwall as well i remember 

10 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Which season was that? First season we lost 8-0 and embarrassingly got knocked out over 2 legs by a 4th tier team 

The last one might be the only time it happened in English football history 

Ergh dont remind me of that 8-0. I wanted to kill lambert after t😡hat one 

I didn't think he was that bad but then after mcleish the apathy had got me bad and it was before the anger returned for the relegation year

That said... Between the arsenal away game last away game of the season (maybe last game of the season?) where bent scored and we won 2-0 I went 48 away games without seeing a win, it wasn't until the FA Cup semi final vs Liverpool, most of those would have been lambert, that's horrific (and probably why I drank) unfortunately my record after that semifinal wasn't better... Another 15 to 20 games maybe

I don't why I did it beyond the tear up

12 hours ago, JPJCB said:

Honestly I disliked the McLeish appointment, but out of all the names there post his Villa career he is the one who talks about us with most respect, he was simply out of his depth, he also secured Jack Grealish to a long term deal as Jacks parents were pushing for a move away to Man Utd,  Grealish never featured under McLeish and McLeish probably knew his time would be up before Jack was ready for first team football but nonetheless he took time out to visit his family and convince them not listen to the outside noise, a £100m player could have left for free if it wasn’t for this man.

1 hour ago, The Fun Factory said:

Whoa there. He left us with a win percentage of less than 30% after over a hundred games. 8 nil to Chelsea. Bradford, Sheffield United, Millwall. Tonev. Senderos. 5-6 wins max at home all year. We go again.  The last entire last 12 months of this reign when we barely won apart from at Liverpool when the board decided to give him and flabby a new contract.

Lerner was turning off the taps but I think we were still being budgeted as a mid table premier league club and we barely looked like that at all in his entire time at Villa.  If he hadn't have bought Benteke we would have got relegated in our first season with him I have no doubt about that. 

He got completely found out and without Culverhouse he is even more clueless. If any club is stupid enough to give him a job, then I have my deepest sympathies for the supporters.

He was poor no doubt, but by that point Lerner had basically given up and was only spending the very bare minimum.

8 minutes ago, gwi1890 said:

Honestly I disliked the McLeish appointment, but out of all the names there post his Villa career he is the one who talks about us with most respect, he was simply out of his depth, he also secured Jack Grealish to a long term deal as Jacks parents were pushing for a move away to Man Utd,  Grealish never featured under McLeish and McLeish probably knew his time would be up before Jack was ready for first team football but nonetheless he took time out to visit his family and convince them not listen to the outside noise, a £100m player could have left for free if it wasn’t for this man.

not shocked about that, his Villa supporting Dad seemed to always want him to leave

2 minutes ago, Zatman said:

not shocked about that, his Villa supporting Dad seemed to always want him to leave

Big Alex cared more about our long term future than him. Yes we went down but when you think about thanks to a bit of effort on McLeish’s part we kept the player that got us back up kept us up and gave us £100m.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, blunther said:

Think the only time Lambert played them at VP we won 3-2.   But yeah there were some pretty horrific days out to VP in that era in general.

Can't believe anyone thinks Lambert was OK. 

I made a list once (possibly on here somewhere) of the historical bad records that he smashed.  In the 140 years of our existence he broke about 10 all time worst records, most of them key ones.  It was shocking even with the lack of investment and we should have sacked him much earlier. 

The contract extension was a disgrace. 

I genuinely didn't care for Villa when Lambert was manager. Fell out of love with the game.

Insipid 'football' every week from a dull and uninspiring manager. 

• Like 1

Yeah… The football was shit… but Lambert had his hands tied because Lerner stopped investing in the squad… as a direct result of Man City buying all of our best players and then pulling up the FFP drawbridge…

So, in a round about way, all of our problems are the fault of Man City…

Bunch of words removed

Â