Paul Lambert

limpid

29.6 win ratio including being dumped out of the cup by giants like Bradford, MIllwall, Sheffield United(League 1 at the time) and Leyton Orient, not to mention 130 goals conceded in his 2 full seasons in charge

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Zatman said:

29.6 win ratio including being dumped out of the cup by giants like Bradford, MIllwall, Sheffield United(League 1 at the time) and Leyton Orient, not to mention 130 goals conceded in his 2 full seasons in charge

This is the point I'm making. He just absolutely cemented a losing mentality at the club. 

I know his job wasn't easy but he was a failure and caused us so many issues. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Mantis said:

It really wasn't. Things only became really consistently awful in 2014.

In my opinion, it was.

You dis agree, your prerogative.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DCJonah said:

This is the point I'm making. He just absolutely cemented a losing mentality at the club. 

I know his job wasn't easy but he was a failure and caused us so many issues. 

He was indeed a failure, no doubt about that. I just don't believe he was quite as horrendously awful as some on here make out.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Zatman said:

We've been dumped out of the cups by lower league opposition pretty much every year since MON (and even during) bar the 2 we made it to finals. It's almost a Villa tradition.

We were a club aiming to finish 17th every season (which is pretty much what we did). 29.6 win ratio sounds about right. For comparison, Dean Smith's win percentage last season was 23.7.

28 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

I think the worst lower league loss was that one under o leary against doncaster. We were **** awful. We got battered. The bradford goes worse as that was 2 legs but this one was a real horror show

Bradford were also a lower division though Doncaster was bad

On 29/11/2020 at 18:39, Keyblade said:

We've been dumped out of the cups by lower league opposition pretty much every year since MON (and even during) bar the 2 we made it to finals. It's almost a Villa tradition.

We were a club aiming to finish 17th every season (which is pretty much what we did). 29.6 win ratio sounds about right. For comparison, Dean Smith's win percentage last season was 23.7.

It was more how we got there really. First season we had 15-0 and Bradford over xmas and January although we did show some promise in how we played in the run in and we actually stayed up reasonably comfortably in the end playing decent counter attack football.

13/14 started off well with wins over Arsenal and Man. City but then a very poor run in from January onwards.

He should've gone that summer but Lerner couldn't sell the club and kept him on.

14/15 we had that run of about 7 games without actually scoring a goal and then he was sacked with no wins in ten.

I'm just amazed he lasted not far off 3 years. Seems to be playing the same trick at Ipswich.

On 30/11/2020 at 13:52, Zatman said:

Bradford were also a lower division though Doncaster was bad

Think worse was Bradford simply due to it being over two legs. Shocks can happen when it's a one off game but we could've easily overturned the 3-1 given the chances we had on the night at VP.

Just reading an article on Lambert/Ipswich now, and this part stuck out...

'TWTD’s news operation runs alongside a message board and, before last month’s match at Lincoln, one of its posters revealed Lambert’s starting lineup'

Didn't that happen on here under Lambert? Seems oddly similar

• Like 1

2 hours ago, VillaChris said:

It was more how we got there really. First season we had 15-0 and Bradford over xmas and January although we did show some promise in how we played in the run in and we actually stayed up reasonably comfortably in the end playing decent counter attack football.

13/14 started off well with wins over Arsenal and Man. City but then a very poor run in from January onwards.

He should've gone that summer but Lerner couldn't sell the club and kept him on.

14/15 we had that run of about 7 games without actually scoring a goal and then he was sacked with no wins in ten.

I'm just amazed he lasted not far off 3 years. Seems to be playing the same trick at Ipswich.

Yeah, it certainly wasn't pretty. And we were right to want him sacked when we did. But now with the benefit of hindsight, given that we're 5.5 years on from his reign, it's clear that he wasn't doing a horrible job within his parameters. 

It's kind of like our season so far. We beat the teams we didn't expect to beat and lost to the ones we expected to beat. Right now everything is supposedly shit given the manner of the recent defeats, but when you take a step back and look at the season as a whole, 15 points from 9 games and 10th place has been a good return.

7 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

Yeah, it certainly wasn't pretty. And we were right to want him sacked when we did. But now with the benefit of hindsight, given that we're 5.5 years on from his reign, it's clear that he wasn't doing a horrible job within his parameters. 

It's kind of like our season so far. We beat the teams we didn't expect to beat and lost to the ones we expected to beat. Right now everything is supposedly shit given the manner of the recent defeats, but when you take a step back and look at the season as a whole, 15 points from 9 games and 10th place has been a good return.

Way more potential in this team than what we had in 2013 although given the money spent you'd probably expect that.

My one defence of him is he should've been back more in summer 2013 as that was the right time to do it given there was still a bit of optimism given how we ended 2012-13 and Benteke u turning and signining a new deal. Certainly more backed than getting rubbish like Luna, Helenius, Bacuna, Tonev etc.

Can remember us getting linked to that Japanese guy who was in Bundesliga and Belhanada that summer as we needed a number 10 type to give more us more creativity centrally. Instead we just spent money on another big forward in Kozak. Could see sense in Okore at least and very unlucky to get injured as him and Vlaar could've been nice combination.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Way more potential in this team than what we had in 2013 although given the money spent you'd probably expect that.

My one defence of him is he should've been back more in summer 2013 as that was the right time to do it given there was still a bit of optimism given how we ended 2012-13 and Benteke u turning and signining a new deal. Certainly more backed than getting rubbish like Luna, Helenius, Bacuna, Tonev etc.

Can remember us getting linked to that Japanese guy who was in Bundesliga and Belhanada that summer as we needed a number 10 type to give more us more creativity centrally. Instead we just spent money on another big forward in Kozak. Could see sense in Okore at least and very unlucky to get injured as him and Vlaar could've been nice combination.

Yeah that window was horrible. It was clear Lerner would stop backing the club from the McLeish season. He'd just find 20m in his couch and give it to the manager to, in many cases, do major surgery on the squad. It was gross negligence. Not that I think Kiyotake and/or Belhanda would have transformed us, but we can see now the effects of backing your manager to the hilt. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Â