Paul Lambert

limpid

The time for him to be sacked during the season has passed. Only a fool would give him as long as Lerner has and then sack him with 10 or so games until the end of the season. Our squad is set, he should stay until the end of the season and should try to save us. Then he should be sacked immediately after the last game of the season. Also, the decision not to hire coaching staff and an assistant is criminal, don't care whose idea this is, it's gross negligence. One would have to wonder if the reason why no one is hired ( or wants to come ) is because Lamert's faith is clear and he won't be at Villa next season.

This x 1,000,000

Usually i would agree, but in the case of Villa and Lambert i think it's is imperative that Lambert is removed if we are to have any chance at avoiding relegation.

I was in London over the weekend and was at the match. Yesterday I overheard a few random guys talking about the match. They were all commenting on the ridiculous high line that Villa played and how it made it so much easier for Arsenal.

If most people on the street know this, how the he'll doesn't Lambert realise these things?

In all fairness, we would most likely have lost either way. If we'd played defensive and lost 2-0 he would have been crucified on here for not "having a go". A 5-0 defeat is somewhat of a freak result and we clearly had the idea that if we were going to lose, at least we'd give it a go and try and get a bloody goal

Arsenal are probably the best team in the league right now on form, and we are probably one of the worst - the sensible thing would have been to go for damage limitation from minute one and take a 2 or 3 goal defeat most likely. Can you imagine the reaction had we done that? Lose without even trying to score?

The defense was woeful against Arsenal, poor positioning and poor decision making all round, that's what cost us and given that it's been the one area where we have been pretty solid this season, I don't consider it outrageous that Lambert would have expected better even though the naive formation was a major hindrance.

We all know that tactically he's not the best, and he can be blamed for that no question, but the defense yesterday played like a Sunday league team and they need to take as much criticism for that as Lambert does for his tactics IMO, it was a combination of both that lost us the game so heavily, directing all or 95% of the blame on one person is wrong, that 5-0 was a team effort and they all deserve as much stick for it as each other

• Like 2

The time for him to be sacked during the season has passed. Only a fool would give him as long as Lerner has and then sack him with 10 or so games until the end of the season. Our squad is set, he should stay until the end of the season and should try to save us. Then he should be sacked immediately after the last game of the season. Also, the decision not to hire coaching staff and an assistant is criminal, don't care whose idea this is, it's gross negligence. One would have to wonder if the reason why no one is hired ( or wants to come ) is because Lamert's faith is clear and he won't be at Villa next season.

But there are 15 games to go and 45 points still to play for.

• Like 1

I don't feel like we got the players in to make a big enough difference to us, Gil looks like he has to do it all on his own and Sinclair is a gamble that could fail miserably. With that said I feel we desperately need a quality assistant asap who can get things working on the pitch or we are at major risk of been relegated. Do any of our current assistants have any proper experience in the role? I know Andy Marshall was 3rd choice goalie about 2 seasons ago so wouldn't have anything near enough experience.

Vs top four teams our record is probably best vs arsenal away and Chelsea and home so I didn't see them as throw away games, that comparison vs last year game for game where even when we were on our 5 game losing streak and we were still 7 points better off, I'd guess that's no longer the case, 6 points in these 2 games last year (and possibly the worst game of football I've ever seen at hull away)

Yeah i totally agree. My post wasn't an attempt to excuse the arsenal or the (probable) Chelsea result.

My point was if those teams turn up and play to their best ability then they will beat us. Which is why I was going to judge the games on performance and not result.

What we have to do is play to our best and capitalise on mistakes from them and try to force a result.

BUT against Arsenal we didn't even come close to that. And regardless of the score, that's unacceptable

Let me start by saying that I'm not a regular down the Villa, I used to go several years ago and was a regular for about a decade previous to that, but apathy and increased activity in personal life (kids, house growing up basically) has diminished my trips to VP, I have got to 3-4 games a year on average after but I lost complete faith in this manager around this time last year, I resolved to not put a penny in Mr Lerner's pocket since or the clubs since, it's hard I love the club I want us to do well, In this era of FFP I realise that my abstention is damaging my club, but I just can't justify spending what disposable income I have on something that frustrates and infuriates me more than it gives me pleasure, rightly or wrongly I associate that feeling with Paul Lambert.

Is Lambert solely to blame? of course not, but do I care? of course not, a new manager won't solve all the issues down the Villa but it will go a long way in healing the rift I now feel towards the club. I don't think I'm alone in this feeling as the declining attendances will attest, I can understand the argument that we must support the team and to keep the faith and the lads need our support, but at some point you have to say enough is enough, our love of our club has been abused and we've been taken for granted for too long now, to continue supporting it is essentially say that you continue to agree with the current status quo.

I feel as a club we need to act within the next two games and remove Lambert from his position, I don't think I'm alone in this opinion (fingers crossed) otherwise we're seriously gambling with our premier league future and by extension the next several years or longer future of our club. Despite the rose tinted appeal some people have of the Championship (and I'll be honest playing proper clubs would be ok) relegation will be absolutely catastrophic for the Villa, we will lose players like Benteke, Delph, Westwood, Okore, Guzan, Gil for a fraction of their true worth, if we don't immediately bounce back (which is a distinct possibility under Lerner) we risk losing even more stature than that which we've ceded to somewhat lesser or equal clubs already, not to mention the financial implications several years in the championship could have for us. Quite simply he has to go and qickly 

• Like 2

Let me start by saying that I'm not a regular down the Villa, I used to go several years ago and was a regular for about a decade previous to that, but apathy and increased activity in personal life (kids, house growing up basically) has diminished my trips to VP, I have got to 3-4 games a year on average after but I lost complete faith in this manager around this time last year, I resolved to not put a penny in Mr Lerner's pocket since or the clubs since, it's hard I love the club I want us to do well, In this era of FFP I realise that my abstention is damaging my club, but I just can't justify spending what disposable income I have on something that frustrates and infuriates me more than it gives me pleasure, rightly or wrongly I associate that feeling with Paul Lambert.

Is Lambert solely to blame? of course not, but do I care? of course not, a new manager won't solve all the issues down the Villa but it will go a long way in healing the rift I now feel towards the club. I don't think I'm alone in this feeling as the declining attendances will attest, I can understand the argument that we must support the team and to keep the faith and the lads need our support, but at some point you have to say enough is enough, our love of our club has been abused and we've been taken for granted for too long now, to continue supporting it is essentially say that you continue to agree with the current status quo.

I feel as a club we need to act within the next two games and remove Lambert from his position, I don't think I'm alone in this opinion (fingers crossed) otherwise we're seriously gambling with our premier league future and by extension the next several years or longer future of our club. Despite the rose tinted appeal some people have of the Championship (and I'll be honest playing proper clubs would be ok) relegation will be absolutely catastrophic for the Villa, we will lose players like Benteke, Delph, Westwood, Okore, Guzan, Gil for a fraction of their true worth, if we don't immediately bounce back (which is a distinct possibility under Lerner) we risk losing even more stature than that which we've ceded to somewhat lesser or equal clubs already, not to mention the financial implications several years in the championship could have for us. Quite simply he has to go and qickly 

Similar here. After many seasons of paying around £thousand for 2 season tickets I decided at the end of Lambert's first season (which was enough to see where things were going under him) to ditch my 2 season tickets.

I went to a couple of games in his second season and it was still dire so this season I haven't been to any games and to be honest I don't miss the 4 mile walk there and back with the feel of doom on the way there and abject depression on the way back. I have saved myself a fortune and can get depressed in the comfort of my own home.

I will not put another penny into AVFC as long as Lambert is there so I have firmly voted with my feet.

• Like 1

I think that this Paul Lambert Villa has sucked the life and soul out of the fans. In some ways, the way he is as a person in his interviews, it seems to have transferred to the fans and the club as a whole. I don't personally dislike him, I just do not like the way he manages our football team.

I wish for the old days when going to the Villa was fun and people had a laugh and enjoyed watching the team. Any old 'uns recall the late 80s when Norwich fans started the trend of taking inflatables to games? I loved it back then and going down the Villa as a teenager with an inflatable caveman's club was great! Tarzan was in the Holte too and the fans would have banter between themselves. Nowadays it seems that all people want to do is argue amongst themselves about whether Lambert should or shouldn't get the chop.

Bring back the brighter days - PLEASE!! :flag:

Sunday's tactics were a joke. It seems Lambert hasn't got a clue at times. We have had a decent record at Arsenal of late so surely you'd employ those same tactics? We all want us to improve but it's against the lesser teams than we have let ourselves down and its against these that we need to play a possession game but trying to do so against better teams at the minute is silly. We lost all our defensive solidity and who knows how much confidence we have left. I just hope we don't get smashed by Chelsea because we hit a run of games then that we have to get points from and we need some confidence in those games! If we go into the bottom 3 I can't see us getting out so its critical we don't get beat by those around us.

• Like 1

I've got a colleague who hates the villa because her ex-husband is a fan (and a wife-beating sack of shit, to give her hatred some context.) She's done nothing but give me grief about being a villa fan for the last few years, but today? Today she was actually sympathetic, which was somehow worse. That's how bad it's got - even people who would normally take the piss won't do it any more because it's no longer a laughing matter.

“They always say time changes things, but you actually have to change them yourself.”

I fear this is where we are with Lambert. There is something fundamentally wrong with the way we play, we're not just missing one piece in the puzzle. The "we go again" mantra doesn't work. We're living in constant hope that we will suddenly play better but it wont happen out of the blue. Maybe Sunday's horror show will make him see that things are just not working but once again that is just based on pure hope.

I like many others here like Lambert, he seems like a good guy but for all the will in the world his time here, sadly, has mostly been a disaster and it just seems to be getting worse. It's very hard to defend his position here.

The people that don't want him sacked must have some more information than me on how things are going because I just don't see how Lambert is the best we can hope for or that he's onto something in the future.

• Like 1

The people that don't want him sacked must have some more information than me on how things are going because I just don't see how Lambert is the best we can hope for or that he's onto something in the future.

Or just see things differently,  as people tend to do.

In post after post on here I see comments referring to how other fans think differently to the perceived norm,  or how some people feel should be the norm.  Comments like "how can anyone support him now" or "surely everyone wants him out? yes apart from the usual suspects" or "they'll always defend him they will god knows why".

Why does it matter? Why is it some big issue that there are some who feel it is not right to sack him? Why is important that 100% of fans on here should hold the same opinion? Why is it vital that the "majority" pursue the "minority" until the "minority" follow the same opinion?

For me I support Villa and I feel it is not in our interests as a club to remove the manager now.  Sorry but you can bang the drum as much as you want that is my opinion.

• Like 3

Nice post.

The people who think it will be "fun" in the Championship are wrong on all counts.  Firstly, it will be lots of clubs regulated from the Premier LEague in recent years like Blackburn, Reading and erm, Blues, so there aren't actually that many "new" and "fun" clubs to go to.  Secondly, there's no guarantee that we'd find it at all easy.  We'd almost certainly lose players like Delph, Benteke and Okore and play in front of crowds of sub 20K every week.  It would also make a bad financial situation much worse.  No thanks.

I think it would be the beginning of the end if we went down, we would probably become another Leeds United or Sheffield Wednesday

Or just see things differently,  as people tend to do.

In post after post on here I see comments referring to how other fans think differently to the perceived norm,  or how some people feel should be the norm.  Comments like "how can anyone support him now" or "surely everyone wants him out? yes apart from the usual suspects" or "they'll always defend him they will god knows why".

Why does it matter? Why is it some big issue that there are some who feel it is not right to sack him? Why is important that 100% of fans on here should hold the same opinion? Why is it vital that the "majority" pursue the "minority" until the "minority" follow the same opinion?

For me I support Villa and I feel it is not in our interests as a club to remove the manager now.  Sorry but you can bang the drum as much as you want that is my opinion.

Well it matters for me at least because it's a view thats very hard for me to understand. My comment on him getting sacked was more a genuine curiosity in getting to know why some supporters want him to stay. Surely that's the point of the discussion? It could well be that you and others have explained it many times and that's fine. I'm not out to put people in groups of people who want him out or not.

Â