Paul Lambert

limpid

Absolutely fair Patrick and to be honest it is an opinion I have sympathy with and if people were to look at my replies to this over the last days/ weeks they'd probably read the same.  Ive said he has put this squad together he at least deserves the rest of the season to get it playing.

Absolutely fair Patrick and to be honest it is an opinion I have sympathy with and if people were to look at my replies to this over the last days/ weeks they'd probably read the same.  Ive said he has put this squad together he at least deserves the rest of the season to get it playing.

Is there any sign whatsoever of that happening though Richard?  I'd argue that no goals in 6 games speaks volumes.  His tactics are always all wrong, and we're getting worse not better.  People have been saying to give him until the end of the season for the past three seasons, and he's just making us worse all the time.  The club and its supporters deserve to have the very bast chance to stay in the Premier League, Lambert doesn't really deserve anything, othert than leaving while he's still got a shred of integrity and reputation left.  Who is it helping having him still here?  Not the team, not the fans and certainly not Lambert himself.  He's rapidly becoming an object of derision, and if he becomes the first manager to take Villa down for 30 years, he'll have finished his career off for good.

• Like 2

Ok maybe the 2 new signings of Sincalir and Gil have just come in, but thats the worst performance against a top side I have seen since Lambert has been here. I expected not miracles, but at least a improved performance. Seems like the team didn't want to play that way.

Risso how long has this squad been assembled ?

In what way is any "squad" assembled? Most teams have a similar number of ins and outs as we have, it's not like you get 11 players together then that's it for the season, it's not 1981 any more.  Look at Southampton, they could hardly have fielded a full 11 players in the summer, but it hasn't held them back.  Lots of people have argued that the squad is the best it's been under Lambert, but he's getting less out of them than he ever has done.

• Like 2

I was in London over the weekend and was at the match. Yesterday I overheard a few random guys talking about the match. They were all commenting on the ridiculous high line that Villa played and how it made it so much easier for Arsenal.

If most people on the street know this, how the he'll doesn't Lambert realise these things?

In all fairness, we would most likely have lost either way. If we'd played defensive and lost 2-0 he would have been crucified on here for not "having a go". A 5-0 defeat is somewhat of a freak result and we clearly had the idea that if we were going to lose, at least we'd give it a go and try and get a bloody goal

Arsenal are probably the best team in the league right now on form, and we are probably one of the worst - the sensible thing would have been to go for damage limitation from minute one and take a 2 or 3 goal defeat most likely. Can you imagine the reaction had we done that? Lose without even trying to score?

The defense was woeful against Arsenal, poor positioning and poor decision making all round, that's what cost us and given that it's been the one area where we have been pretty solid this season, I don't consider it outrageous that Lambert would have expected better even though the naive formation was a major hindrance.

We all know that tactically he's not the best, and he can be blamed for that no question, but the defense yesterday played like a Sunday league team and they need to take as much criticism for that as Lambert does for his tactics IMO, it was a combination of both that lost us the game so heavily, directing all or 95% of the blame on one person is wrong, that 5-0 was a team effort and they all deserve as much stick for it as each other

No no no no, sorry mate but I can't accept this. You're making out like there were two options - a high defensive line, or 'lose without even trying to score'. Fortunately, there are other tactical options available. 

• Like 4

Risso how long has this squad been assembled ?

In what way is any "squad" assembled? Most teams have a similar number of ins and outs as we have, it's not like you get 11 players together then that's it for the season, it's not 1981 any more.  Look at Southampton, they could hardly have fielded a full 11 players in the summer, but it hasn't held them back.  Lots of people have argued that the squad is the best it's been under Lambert, but he's getting less out of them than he ever has done.

Didn't Lambert himself state that it was the best squad he has had since he has been at Villa? Pity he hasn't got a scooby doo what to do with it.

• Like 1

Is there any sign whatsoever of that happening though Richard?  I'd argue that no goals in 6 games speaks volumes.  His tactics are always all wrong, and we're getting worse not better.  People have been saying to give him until the end of the season for the past three seasons, and he's just making us worse all the time.  The club and its supporters deserve to have the very bast chance to stay in the Premier League, Lambert doesn't really deserve anything, othert than leaving while he's still got a shred of integrity and reputation left.  Who is it helping having him still here?  Not the team, not the fans and certainly not Lambert himself.  He's rapidly becoming an object of derision, and if he becomes the first manager to take Villa down for 30 years, he'll have finished his career off for good.

It's quite obvious that we've lacked the creative spark play an effective possession game, but I think with Gil it might be doable, although it'll need more effort from our front men, which may require dropping Benteke (hopefully not).

Chelsea aside, I think we need to give Lambert Hull, Leicester and Stoke to show that things can change. Obviously if we lose all of those games it's going to be difficult for him to continue, on the other hand if we can take 4 points from Hull and Stoke and get past Leicester in the cup then the run in looks wholly different. 

• Like 1

Just read we have only scored 4 second half goals in 41 games.

I haven't checked but good god that is just utterly atrocious.

Those half time talks, eh?

If they are as inspiring and his pre and post match comments its no suprise, They are all probably totally baffled and half asleep when the come out for the second half!

Funny but I just can't laugh.

How few would we have had to score for those who back him, both within the club and supporters, to decide he wasn't working ?

3? 2? 1? 0?

Another comment on posters who continue to back the manager. Why does it matter? Why are you looking for a point at which some people may or may not change their mind? Why is that important for you? Do you need it to help justify your opinion in your own mind? I suspect not. Do you need it so you can look forward to a point at which you can post "ahh told you so" or some such posts? Again I suspect not. So why does it matter when / if or ever another person who holds a slightly different opinion changes?

Probably the same reason the people backing Lambert had issues with anyone who wanted him sacked earlier. Did you step in then?

He couldnt get real madrid to play he is that inept

Absolutely fair Patrick and to be honest it is an opinion I have sympathy with and if people were to look at my replies to this over the last days/ weeks they'd probably read the same. Ive said he has put this squad together he at least deserves the rest of the season to get it playing.

Is there any sign whatsoever of that happening though Richard? I'd argue that no goals in 6 games speaks volumes. His tactics are always all wrong, and we're getting worse not better. People have been saying to give him until the end of the season for the past three seasons, and he's just making us worse all the time. The club and its supporters deserve to have the very bast chance to stay in the Premier League, Lambert doesn't really deserve anything, othert than leaving while he's still got a shred of integrity and reputation left. Who is it helping having him still here? Not the team, not the fans and certainly not Lambert himself. He's rapidly becoming an object of derision, and if he becomes the first manager to take Villa down for 30 years, he'll have finished his career off for good.

It's quite obvious that we've lacked the creative spark play an effective possession game, but I think with Gil it might be doable, although it'll need more effort from our front men, which may require dropping Benteke (hopefully not).

Chelsea aside, I think we need to give Lambert Hull, Leicester and Stoke to show that things can change. Obviously if we lose all of those games it's going to be difficult for him to continue, on the other hand if we can take 4 points from Hull and Stoke and get past Leicester in the cup then the run in looks wholly different.

What will that show? We won back to back games earlier and it led to nothing. Everything we've ever done under Lambert has resulted in nothing but getting worse.

• Like 1

Chelsea aside, I think we need to give Lambert Hull, Leicester and Stoke to show that things can change. Obviously if we lose all of those games it's going to be difficult for him to continue....

...and for us to stay up.  That's the point.

• Like 2

By which time we will have just 12 league games left. Tell you what, let's move the goalposts some more and give him Newcastle, Albion and Sunderland too.

• Like 1

Chelsea aside, I think we need to give Lambert Hull, Leicester and Stoke to show that things can change. Obviously if we lose all of those games it's going to be difficult for him to continue....

Not really. Are you expecting the sides below us to start racking up wins all of a sudden? Do you not think their supporters think they're going down too? We have a reasonable run-in and 12 games is 36 points to play for. You can't tell me on the one hand that a new manager would make a massive difference and on the other that they wouldn't be able to keep us up if they came in with a third of the season to play. 

• Like 2

Not really. Are you expecting the sides below us to start racking up wins all of a sudden? Do you not think their supporters think they're going down too? We have a reasonable run-in and 12 games is 36 points to play for. You can't tell me on the one hand that a new manager would make a massive difference and on the other that they wouldn't be able to keep us up if they came in with a third of the season to play. 

Oooooh, so its up to the teams below us again not to pick up points, as in the previous seasons under Lambert. 

• Like 1

When I think about it our squad has been getting better VERRRRY slowly, If we can survive until summer and the last of the high earners and dead wood get of the books I think we will be in quite a good position. We have a decent spine, a Good DM (Sanchez), although needs to improve passing. Quite good CB's, we get a younger "Vlaar" and we are sorted. a good left back (Cissokho), needs good back up. A good right back in Hutton (Might need to get good back up if Lowton goes). Decent Centre (Box to box), Delph, Westwood, we need one more quality one at least. Attack wise we have Sinclair (looks good), Gil, Gabby, Weimann, Benteke, Kozak.

so in the summer I say get:

DM - 7 mill?

CB -  5 mill?

AM/Winger - 8 mill?

I think we get those quality additions and get them settled into a playing style and we will look much better. 

It only takes 1 win for 3 of the 4 teams below us to pass us so they don't need to rack up wins

• Like 1

Â