Paul Lambert

limpid

He has the club walking on water as it stands. He kept us afloat last season and the season before and did the same for Norwich. That's reason enough not to sack him. There's no one better to qualified to manage the team right now.

That is the funniest thing I have seen on VT for ages.  :D

It wasn't a joke. No one is better qualified than the man who knows the players and has led them to safety twice before.

• Like 1

When I think about it our squad has been getting better VERRRRY slowly, If we can survive until summer and the last of the high earners and dead wood get of the books I think we will be in quite a good position. We have a decent spine, a Good DM (Sanchez), although needs to improve passing. Quite good CB's, we get a younger "Vlaar" and we are sorted. a good left back (Cissokho), needs good back up. A good right back in Hutton (Might need to get good back up if Lowton goes). Decent Centre (Box to box), Delph, Westwood, we need one more quality one at least. Attack wise we have Sinclair (looks good), Gil, Gabby, Weimann, Benteke, Kozak.

so in the summer I say get:

DM - 7 mill?

CB -  5 mill?

AM/Winger - 8 mill?

I think we get those quality additions and get them settled into a playing style and we will look much better. 

With a new manager you mean, yes??

We have better players this season, more experience and greater squad depth, yet our results have not changed. He can't blame the side for being too young. He can't blame his back room for bullying and disrupting the team. He can't blame Faulkner.

Common denominator is Lambert. No more excuses with mumbles. The buck stops with him. He sets the tactics. He sets the tempo. He choses which players to pick. He choses not to make substitutions. He choses not to change tactics during a game. He choses to recall from loan a young striker on form and not play him for a single minute then send him back on loan when we have no back up.

He clearly has run out of ideas. He has broken almost every club record and wouldn't suprise me if beats this by overseeing a record loss to Chelsea on saturday of 9 nil. He is well on the way to the fewest goals scored in a season (36) and will probably relegate us for the first time in the Premier League.

I hope Tom Fox is prepared for the heat he will get at the Villa Trust AGM on the 19th Feb, we could well be in the relegation zone by then. Or maybe he is waiting until after the Hull game to sack Lambert and be seen as a hero, we can all but hope.

UTV

• Like 2

2 choices

Give him untill he relegates us?

or

Give someone else a chance?

Please can someone explain to me how its all of a sudden going to get better, when, whatever Lambert has tried, hasn't worked yet.

• Like 1

Just read we have only scored 4 second half goals in 41 games.

I haven't checked but good god that is just utterly atrocious.

Those half time talks, eh?

If they are as inspiring and his pre and post match comments its no suprise, They are all probably totally baffled and half asleep when the come out for the second half!

Funny but I just can't laugh.

How few would we have had to score for those who back him, both within the club and supporters, to decide he wasn't working ?

3? 2? 1? 0?

Another comment on posters who continue to back the manager. Why does it matter? Why are you looking for a point at which some people may or may not change their mind?  Why is that important for you?  Do you need it to help justify your opinion in your own mind? I suspect not.  Do you need it so you can look forward to a point at which you can post "ahh told you so" or some such posts? Again I suspect not.  So why does it matter when / if or ever another person who holds a slightly different opinion changes?

This isn't a post on anyone, I don't do it, never have, and totally agree with everything you have said on the subject....I have no idea why people need others to agree with them.

Sorry if you feel it read that way.

The question I posed was a genuine question, particularly aimed at the club, but equally to anyone else who wanted to answer it. If you don't fancy answering it just ignore it ....but it genuinely is not a dig at anyone.

I am baffled why people still support him, even when I hear their reasons, but I totally respect your point of view.

That's not the point sne. What I am saying is even in the highly unlikely event that we lost all three games, even if the teams around us picked up a couple of points, we wouldn't suddenly be marooned in the bottom three and unable to claw our way out; even in that highly unlikely circumstance we'd have a strong chance of staying up, especially if this magical new manager came in and had the effect that many of those who want Lambert gone seem to think it would have. 

Let's see if Lambert can take his new signings and start building the green shoots of recovery after a dark period. His squad is now fairly complete in a way that it never has been before.

If he can't, then it's time to hit the panic button, but now is definitely not that time.

Edited by PatrickCousens
  • Like 2

I've wanted Lambert out since last season and continue to do so. 

Richard (sorry to use you as an example) changing his mind will not get Paul Lambert sacked, everyone has an opinion and that's life. 

Sadly, the only person capable of making that decision is just as incapable as the manager. 

Please stay up so we can just go through this all again next season. God I'm depressed. 

He has the club walking on water as it stands. He kept us afloat last season and the season before and did the same for Norwich. That's reason enough not to sack him. There's no one better to qualified to manage the team right now.

It wasn't a joke. No one is better qualified than the man who knows the players and has led them to safety twice before.

Sometimes i'm sure what you post is a joke how can you say stuff like he has the club walking on water?

It must be to wind people up because currently were at the bottom of the frigging Mariana trench without a snorkel

• Like 3

which has been answered before,  several times

and it's not just a simple question risso it is worded in such a way "how can you possibly still support him it's ridiculous"

The question I asked has not, to my knowledge, been asked before.

Obviously if I knew what people thought I wouldn't have asked it !

which has been answered before,  several times

and it's not just a simple question risso it is worded in such a way "how can you possibly still support him it's ridiculous"

The question I asked has not, to my knowledge, been asked before.

Obviously if I knew what people thought I wouldn't have asked it !

That's not the point sne. What I am saying is even in the highly unlikely event that we lost all three games, even if the teams around us picked up a couple of points, we wouldn't suddenly be marooned in the bottom three and unable to claw our way out; even in that highly unlikely circumstance we'd have a strong chance of staying up, especially if this magical new manager came in and had the effect that many of those who want Lambert gone seem to think it would have. 

Let's see if Lambert can take his new signings and start building the green shoots of recovery after a dark period. His squad is now fairly complete in a way that it never has been before.

If he can't, then it's time to hit the panic button, but now is definitely not that time.

We have only added gill and Sinclair to the players that have been here since the season began. The majority of our best 16 have been here ages.

So the squad being complete as never before is a guy who has hardly played for 2 years and someone brand new to the premier and the country.

I think that is way too little to gamble our future on.

You could also look at it as:

'No one is better qualified than the man who knows the players and has led them into a relegation battle twice before'.

Sometimes i'm sure what you post is a joke how can you say stuff like he has the club walking on water?

It must be to wind people up because currently were at the bottom of the frigging Mariana trench without a snorkel

Walking on water in the sense that we're above the bottom three. Maybe it is a slightly over the top turn of phrase, but I guess it depends on whether you think Lambert is performing miracles or not. Without him I dread to think where we we would be now.

And I'm not interested in winding anyone up and I don' think anyone should be wound up just because they disagree with what I say. Everything's going to be okay.

We have only added gill and Sinclair to the players that have been here since the season began. The majority of our best 16 have been here ages.

So the squad being complete as never before is a guy who has hardly played for 2 years and someone brand new to the premier and the country.

I think that is way too little to gamble our future on.

Do you not think that adding Gil makes a massive difference to our ability to break teams down? Because you obviously haven't been watching him if not, he's either scored or created clear opportunities in every game he's played, and as the team get used to playing with him that should only improve.

As for 'gambling with our future', you seem to be suggesting that we wouldn't be gambling with our future if we changed the manager, which is clearly nonsense, particularly in the absence of a single outstanding candidate who would take the job. 

• Like 1

'No one is better qualified than the man who knows the players and has led them into a relegation battle twice before'.

A relegation battle that he won. 

• Like 4

My point being that a decent manager would not lead his team into a relegation battle 3 seasons on the trot. If any of us had been told that is exactly what we would be facing how many would have said "Oh yea, I'm up for that, so much better than what McLeish gave us".

I'll tell you exactly where we would be without him, much better off!

Time will tell, as always. Things are grimmer than a hooded scyther but surely something has to happen. I like to think that no one wants to be the butt of every pundit's jest and that the anger of continued dross would spark some sort of collective "screw this mot-supprimé lads! Let's show every heathen bastard that we're proper footballers and win this shet!". These are all competitive individuals after all and capable of much more. As poor as Lambert's tactiques have been, the players seem to wish that someone/anyone else in the squad displays some nuance of having schram. Rant out. Peace n love n safety from deathly demise.

• Like 1

My point being that a decent manager would not lead his team into a relegation battle 3 seasons on the trot. If any of us had been told that is exactly what we would be facing how many would have said "Oh yea, I'm up for that, so much better than what McLeish gave us".

I'll tell you exactly where we would be without him, much better off!

With the money Lambert has had to spend and how thinly it has had to be spread, I think it's unrealistic to expect anything else other than relegation battles. Essentially half of the league is in a battle for survival. Everyone is sick of where the club finds itself at the moment but the only way that's going to change is if we get someone decent to buy the club.

There's a great point in one of the previous posts.

What if we do keep Lambert and stay up, what are we to expect next season? Can any one fan honestly say that they truly believe we will not break any more "bad" records next season, or face a struggle like in the previous three seasons, with this man in charge?

We've brought in virtually a whole back four for this campaign so far with Hutton and Cissokho/Richardson at full back and Senderos/Okore at centre back. Yet, we've still conceded just one goal less than at this stage last season. This, with an international star of the World Cup covering in front of the back four!

We've had our star striker back for most of the campaign and Delph fit for most of it too. There's just no excuses for this mess, not after three seasons anyway!

I see another struggle next season, regardless of the league we are in. It's a common theme with Lambert in charge.

I'm not saying that the next man will come in and save us. I'm not saying that we would be any better off. I'm saying I pretty much know where we're heading as we are. A change would at least give us fresh hope hope and a sense of the unknown. Which, right now, seems to me like a better option than the inevitable struggles we face with Lambert at the helm.

• Like 3

Walking on water in the sense that we're above the bottom three. Maybe it is a slightly over the top turn of phrase, but I guess it depends on whether you think Lambert is performing miracles or not. Without him I dread to think where we we would be now.

And I'm not interested in winding anyone up and I don' think anyone should be wound up just because they disagree with what I say. Everything's going to be okay.

Possibly better off, who knows? I may agree with the team we 'had', maybe we would be near relegation previous seasons at the very worst, yes, What you cannot agree with is that Lambert has lost the knowledge of how to get this team to score goals, which there is no defense. 

You know before we signed Sinclair, Gil and had benteke back, at the begining of the season we looked a proper team, beat Liverplop convincingly. Where has this form gone??

Every other team gets better throughout the season, we get worse?

Edited by foreveryoung

Â