Paul Lambert

limpid

I don't mind Lambert as a person, think he really wants to do well but for some reason or another, it just isn't working. You can see he looks beaten, defeated before we even step onto the pitch. Think he hasn't been helped much by Randy as he has effectively left him as a one man band. But this is a results business and he needs to be sacked for it.

What manager doesn't want to do well?

It's become something of a sick experiment - cannot think of any precedent for Lambert's continued employment in the face of awfulness. Best media reports I've seen on the whole blumin thing are those that praise the fans for not protesting. We need to get all ghandi on lerner's ass.

I don't mind Lambert as a person, think he really wants to do well but for some reason or another, it just isn't working. You can see he looks beaten, defeated before we even step onto the pitch. Think he hasn't been helped much by Randy as he has effectively left him as a one man band. But this is a results business and he needs to be sacked for it.

What manager doesn't want to do well?

Ok, every manager does it was more to say he's trying his best which obviously isn't good enough. But it's more the point of the abuse aimed at him as a person and some sick people targeting girls on Twitter with the same name as his daughter.

McLeish was sacked for less.

Considering Lambert's record-breaking tenure, you could realistically say that all previous sacked Aston Villa managers were sacked for less.

I'd say taking us down would be worse than breaking a few records.

Although Lambert could do that too. Personally I don't really care that much about many of the records - it's all about points, goals, wins and league position for me, which obviously Lambert isn't doing anywhere near good enough on.

Edited by Mantis
  • Like 1

it's all about points, goals, wins and league position for me.

Fourthings he needs to be sacked for immediately.  Add in the quality of football.....*dons black cap*

it's all about points, goals, wins and league position for me.

Fourthings he needs to be sacked for immediately.  Add in the quality of football.....*dons black cap*

That's kind of stating the obvious. I did say afterwards that he hasn't performed well on those fronts either.

He's clueless :(

The Arsenal setup was after a full week of preparation.

That's what he thought would be a good idea.

Ciaran Clark didn't as he kept dropping 15 yards deeper than everyone else.

He'll be sacked after the West Brom loss.

He's clueless :(

The Arsenal setup was after a full week of preparation.

That's what he thought would be a good idea.

Ciaran Clark didn't as he kept dropping 15 yards deeper than everyone else.

He'll be sacked after the West Brom loss.

He will not be sacked during a season.

Realistically I know it is unlikely Lambert will be fired but that doesn’t change the fact it is what is desperately needed. I unlike others though don’t believe he is immune from getting the push and I think a poor result and performance on Saturday followed by us failing to win away at Hull could well be enough either for Lambert to walk or Lerner to sack him.

Good post mark, and I think these thoughts are probably echoed by everyone.  On this final bit, I really do think the Hull game is massive for Lambert.  If we fail to get anything from both games and also fail to score, I think that puts his job on the line.  I don't think Lerner would sack him at that point, but I think it would firmly put his position in Lerner's mind.  Without a drastic change of fortune in the immediate 2 or 3 games afterwards, I think we could see him go.

My reasoning for this is the renewed energy coming from Tom Fox and an apparent renewed interest from our owner.  At the end of the day, he doesn't want us getting relegated.  This will be his major concern.  Our poor form is getting enough coverage from every angle - it simply can't be ignored anymore.

it's all about points, goals, wins and league position for me, which obviously Lambert isn't doing anywhere near good enough on.

So, just to update on the cusp of his 100th league game with Villa, from 99 games, it's

Points - 101 (1.02 per game)

Goals - 97 (0.98 per game)

Wins - 25 (a teensy bit over 1 in every 4 games)

league position - 15th; 15th; 16th

All stats for this season worse so far: (0.96 points per game, 0.48 goals, 1 win in every 4.6 games)

So we can add deterioration of performance against those measures into the mix.

Edited by briny_ear

I've posted in the relegation thread a couple of times that the squad is too good to go down and that was before the signing of Gil and Sinclair. However I am spouting a load of tripe aren't I as a squad that was too good to go down would not have taken 12 points from the last 19 games and scored 7 goals and conceded 29.

I don’t really know how or when under Lambert this will turn around. We had a great opportunity over the Christmas period when we played Sunderland, Palace and Leicester to reignite our season and we took just 2 points. Now we are all clinging to the fact that after Chelsea we have an easier run of fixtures that we should take points from and on paper we most definitely should. Football doesn’t work like that though does it. The more you lose the more confidence is knocked. The more games you go without scoring the more strikers go in to their shell and any chances that do come along are snatched at with no composure shown. The more goals you concede the more nervy your defenders and keeper become.

To me this team now looks totally devoid of confidence with no belief in each other or the manager. It needs a massive shot in the arm and for me that can only come from a change in the manager. It needs a new voice and a manager not tarnished and carrying the weight and scars this terrible run has inflicted.

I know some will not want to hear it but I heard an interview with one of the Birmingham City players on Saturday. He was asked how they had turned things around with  the same group of players that before Rowtlett arrived had really struggled and had just lost 8-0 to Bournemouth. He said that the manager had never mentioned what had gone on before, had never mentioned the 8-0. The slate had been wiped clean. That is what this squad needs now. A clean slate under a new manager with fresh ideas and who can come in and even if it’s only for a short time can provide the spark that can see us safe this season.

It is not just about the players either. You can also add in the fact that most supporters don’t believe in Lambert any more. We go a goal down now and you can sense the atmosphere turning and some fans ready to pounce on the managers back. Lambert has said himself the anti-chanting towards him is doing the team no good. That is also taken out of the equation with a change in manager.

Realistically I know it is unlikely Lambert will be fired but that doesn’t change the fact it is what is desperately needed. I unlike others though don’t believe he is immune from getting the push and I think a poor result and performance on Saturday followed by us failing to win away at Hull could well be enough either for Lambert to walk or Lerner to sack him.

Another good post mate.

I've posted in the relegation thread a couple of times that the squad is too good to go down and that was before the signing of Gil and Sinclair. However I am spouting a load of tripe aren't I as a squad that was too good to go down would not have taken 12 points from the last 19 games and scored 7 goals and conceded 29.

I don’t really know how or when under Lambert this will turn around. We had a great opportunity over the Christmas period when we played Sunderland, Palace and Leicester to reignite our season and we took just 2 points. Now we are all clinging to the fact that after Chelsea we have an easier run of fixtures that we should take points from and on paper we most definitely should. Football doesn’t work like that though does it. The more you lose the more confidence is knocked. The more games you go without scoring the more strikers go in to their shell and any chances that do come along are snatched at with no composure shown. The more goals you concede the more nervy your defenders and keeper become.

To me this team now looks totally devoid of confidence with no belief in each other or the manager. It needs a massive shot in the arm and for me that can only come from a change in the manager. It needs a new voice and a manager not tarnished and carrying the weight and scars this terrible run has inflicted.

I know some will not want to hear it but I heard an interview with one of the Birmingham City players on Saturday. He was asked how they had turned things around with  the same group of players that before Rowtlett arrived had really struggled and had just lost 8-0 to Bournemouth. He said that the manager had never mentioned what had gone on before, had never mentioned the 8-0. The slate had been wiped clean. That is what this squad needs now. A clean slate under a new manager with fresh ideas and who can come in and even if it’s only for a short time can provide the spark that can see us safe this season.

It is not just about the players either. You can also add in the fact that most supporters don’t believe in Lambert any more. We go a goal down now and you can sense the atmosphere turning and some fans ready to pounce on the managers back. Lambert has said himself the anti-chanting towards him is doing the team no good. That is also taken out of the equation with a change in manager.

That's where I am mate with it. We look defeated before we even step on the pitch which is a massive concern. It's hearing the same voice, same ideas to try and lift us out of it. Even Delph after the game, just watch his interview, where was the hurt or the pride? You've just been spanked and you act like you couldn't give a s**t. The players have no belief in what he is doing.

• Like 1

The time for him to be sacked during the season has passed. Only a fool would give him as long as Lerner has and then sack him with 10 or so games until the end of the season. Our squad is set, he should stay until the end of the season and should try to save us. Then he should be sacked immediately after the last game of the season. Also, the decision not to hire coaching staff and an assistant is criminal, don't care whose idea this is, it's gross negligence. One would have to wonder if the reason why no one is hired ( or wants to come ) is because Lamert's faith is clear and he won't be at Villa next season.

• Like 1

The time for him to be sacked during the season has passed. Only a fool would give him as long as Lerner has and then sack him with 10 or so games until the end of the season. Our squad is set, he should stay until the end of the season and should try to save us. Then he should be sacked immediately after the last game of the season. Also, the decision not to hire coaching staff and an assistant is criminal, don't care whose idea this is, it's gross negligence. One would have to wonder if the reason why no one is hired ( or wants to come ) is because Lamert's faith is clear and he won't be at Villa next season.

This x 1,000,000

I was in London over the weekend and was at the match. Yesterday I overheard a few random guys talking about the match. They were all commenting on the ridiculous high line that Villa played and how it made it so much easier for Arsenal.

If most people on the street know this, how the he'll doesn't Lambert realise these things?

I was in London over the weekend and was at the match. Yesterday I overheard a few random guys talking about the match. They were all commenting on the ridiculous high line that Villa played and how it made it so much easier for Arsenal.

If most people on the street know this, how the he'll doesn't Lambert realise these things?

He isnt very good at football mangement, thats why

McLeish was sacked for less.

Considering Lambert's record-breaking tenure, you could realistically say that all previous sacked Aston Villa managers were sacked for less.

I'd say taking us down would be worse than breaking a few records.

Although Lambert could do that too. Personally I don't really care that much about many of the records - it's all about points, goals, wins and league position for me, which obviously Lambert isn't doing anywhere near good enough on.

Agree absolutely. And you are right that records in themselves are not the important thing, but they are an interesting indication of how well or badly a person or team is doing. And of course the records are reflected in the results, which, as you rightly say, are the really important thing.

Â