Paul Lambert

limpid

They went 2-0 up on 56 minutes.

I don't think Lambert was being exact, I took him to be referring to the period when it was 1-0 and, as bad as we were, we did actually have a chance or two to equalise.

People are making way too much of this comment. I know he's doing shite, but this dissecting every interview and laughing our heads off at the the vaguely positive aspects is getting pretty dull.

What is getting pretty dull is the constant need to try to defend anything he says or does.

I agree. Good job I'm not doing that.

I think there seems to be a confusion of what is defending Lambert to the hilt, or countering some of the ridiculous and unnecessary hyperbole.

• Like 2

The squad should be doing better. There's no denying that for me.

It's credit to Lambert that he's built the squad he has. But it makes the results look even worse.

Once the Chelsea game is out of the way, there's no excuse for a lack of improvement from there on out.

Agree with this 100%

We have a good squad, it's so baffling why we can't do better than we are with them. Our lack of goals is very strange as we know there is goals in players like Benteke. 

As someone who launched an attack on fellow fans for pointing out the failings of our manager and who said we should give him more time can I ask at what point you realised that the posters you had a go at were in all honesty probably right?

• Like 3

Exactly. Not criticising everything he does is not the same as defending everything he does.

Just because I'm defending this one thing which I believe to be an overreaction, doesn't mean I'm defending everything.

Far, far, FAR from it!

But the comment in question implied that we were competing equally with Arsenal for 60 minutes and we really really weren't. That is what people are picking up on. His lack of awareness of how the game was going.

Exactly. Not criticising everything he does is not the same as defending everything he does.

Just because I'm defending this one thing which I believe to be an overreaction, doesn't mean I'm defending everything.

Far, far, FAR from it!

But the comment in question implied that we were competing equally with Arsenal for 60 minutes and we really really weren't. That is what people are picking up on. His lack of awareness of how the game was going.

But but but, how could he not know what was going on. He brought on Gabby and Sinclair to try and get us back into the game.

Saying that we were 3-0 down and completely clueless but he at least tried.  ;)

His lack of awareness of how the game was going.

I think Lambert often comes across that he has a lack of awareness as to what we have all just witnessed. I guess that is what comes with not winning very often and putting in poor performance after poor performance. As manager during an interview he is almost having to defend himself and having to dress things up to be something that they clearly weren't.

I personally don't think he believes most of what he says himself in interviews and I'd be confident in saying that when he chats with his players and coaching staff after a game what he says is very different. I hope so anyway as if not he is totally deluded.

He is not alone in that though. For every manager that you get that will give an honest assessment of a game they have been involved in you will get five managers that will give a total blinkered view and spout a load of bull.

• Like 2

What worries me about Lambert is that he doesn't seem to learn from his mistakes.

Thats because he is awful at football management. I dont think I have ever seen anybody so clueless in charge of a football team for so long. He is an embarrasment and is turning our club into a laughing stock. He is the worst thing to happen to our club in recent years, Utterly useless, I cant wait until he is gone.

• Like 3

Far, far, FAR from it!

It didn't imply that though. You've inferred that.

What it implied was that whilst we were 1-0 down we actually nearly equalised so we were "in the game", which you kind of always are at 1-0.

He also said in that interview that we weren't good enough, players weren't good enough, the goals we gave away were poor and that we are doing way worse than we should be.

Listen, I don't particularly agree with the comment. We were lucky to only be 1-0 down. But he was not saying that we were equal to Arsenal and, like I've already said, the interview was long and overwhelmingly negative, yet people are picking him up for one 2 second comment that they've inferred as a massive positive.

He also said it "wasn't a 5-0 game". 

Now that I've learnt that my interpretation of what Lambert says is defective, could you explain this one for me, please?

• Like 1

It SHOULD have been a defensive display against Arsenal.

People always say "i want us to have a go at the big teams". That's not always the right thing to do though.

We had a go yesterday and it resulted in an awful performance.

I'd much rather have drawn 0-0 against Arsenal than come out all guns blazing get whooped 5-0

People always say "i want us to have a go at the big teams". That's not always the right thing to do though.

I'd much rather have drawn 0-0 against Arsenal than come out all guns blazing get whooped 5-0

I agree we should have gone more defensive yesterday as we should do against Chelsea on Saturday.

The trouble is though we have only scored 11 goals all season, no goals in our last 6 league games and we have a manager who is being asked constantly in interviews about the lack of goals and his stock answer is we are trying to score, we are playing attacking football, we go for it regardless of opposition etc etc.

The lack of goals doesn't just effect us going forward. It obviously effects us defensively as it brings added pressure in that we know if we concede we are nailed on to lose but also in the fact that we now feel the need to set up up even against the teams that are much better than us way too open and too gung ho as there is now a desperation to get a goal and get that monkey off our back.

The whole thing is a mess. We have a manager who has now lost the plot completely and simply doesn't have any idea how to get the best out of the players he has and is making completely the wrong choices both in the players he is picking and tactically. We have strikers who have zero confidence, we have midfielders who don't create or score and we have defenders who are coming under huge pressure due to the lack of goals in the team and the desperate need to keep a clean sheet to give ourselves the chance of a point. The whole thing wreaks of a lack of confidence from top to bottom and the players are looking to a manager for guidance and to instill some belief and he can offer absolutely nothing.

Edited by markavfc40
  • Like 3

Yep.  Lambert gets his million pound salary for making the hard decisions but also making the right decisions.  He's not earning his money.

• Like 1

We have a good squad, it's so baffling why we can't do better than we are with them.

Its probably baffling to someone who told us all everything was going to be great once benteke was back.

To most its quite clear why we aren't doing better.

• Like 3

Not sure if this has been mooted before, probably has but has he 'lost the dressing room'?

This tends to be the point of no return for a Manager and when they often get sacked, looking at the players' body language yesterday it was appalling, all over the pitch too not just Benteke.

Players were losing the ball and making no great effort to get back, there's just no passion or desire there so how many of this squad actually want to play for him anymore?

• Like 1

Â