Paul Lambert

limpid

I know some people still support Lambert. I don't understand it but that's up to them but surely everyone must agree that we are under achieving with the players we have? I also understand people saying that changing the manager now guarantees nothing but surely it's getting close to the stage where something has to be done regardless? If the players don't react on Saturday and more importantly on Tuesday against Hull Lerner will have to act. Come the end of Feb if we are still in this slump something has to change!

• Like 2

That's not the point sne. What I am saying is even in the highly unlikely event that we lost all three games, even if the teams around us picked up a couple of points, we wouldn't suddenly be marooned in the bottom three and unable to claw our way out; even in that highly unlikely circumstance we'd have a strong chance of staying up, especially if this magical new manager came in and had the effect that many of those who want Lambert gone seem to think it would have. 

Let's see if Lambert can take his new signings and start building the green shoots of recovery after a dark period. His squad is now fairly complete in a way that it never has been before.

If he can't, then it's time to hit the panic button, but now is definitely not that time.

We have only added gill and Sinclair to the players that have been here since the season began. The majority of our best 16 have been here ages.

So the squad being complete as never before is a guy who has hardly played for 2 years and someone brand new to the premier and the country.

I think that is way too little to gamble our future on.

Do you not think that adding Gil makes a massive difference to our ability to break teams down? Because you obviously haven't been watching him if not, he's either scored or created clear opportunities in every game he's played, and as the team get used to playing with him that should only improve.

As for 'gambling with our future', you seem to be suggesting that we wouldn't be gambling with our future if we changed the manager, which is clearly nonsense, particularly in the absence of a single outstanding candidate who would take the job.

Gil may make a difference, he may not. (And I have been watching thank you). Yes he did score, but the opportunities he created didn't alter our goal tally last week, they may not again, he may get injured, he may go off the boil, who knows ? To put as much onus on him as you now seem to be is dangerous, and my point is there are already - largely international - here who the manager has had a long time with but are not getting results.

And despite you calling my views nonsense, I happen to think the gamble of sticking with known failure is infinitely greater than anything, anything, else.

You don't, fine, but I simply don't see anything in results or performances that suggest he can keep us up, therefore as far as I am concerned to gamble on him getting it right because of those two players is just inconceivable.

In particular because regardless of whether we get a win or two soon, we have seen, in over 100 games !!...not like its ten or twelve games in......that he simply cannot put a run of any substance together.

We will go right to the last game, if we are lucky, and if we do I have seen enough to be convinced we will fall through the trap door.

I appreciate it has now come down to ' there is no alternative' and there will be two opposing views. In mine the idea that nobody can do better than appalling is not only defeatist it is unrealistic and unlikely to be true.

As I am sure he will relegate us there is, in my view, little or no risk to getting someone, anyone, else.

• Like 2

... Hull Lerner will have to act. ...

Unfortunately, as much as I wish that was true, it just isn't. He doesn't, and he probably won't. That's his pattern.

Then the fans should make him.

How? You've got no chance, he doesn't even bother turning up. Your failed protests and your silly emails are utterly futile, like Mike Ashley, for example, he just doesn't care.

... Hull Lerner will have to act. ...

Unfortunately, as much as I wish that was true, it just isn't. He doesn't, and he probably won't. That's his pattern.
Then the fans should make him.

How? You've got no chance, he doesn't even bother turning up. Your failed protests and your silly emails are utterly futile, like Mike Ashley, for example, he just doesn't care.

Lambert not Lerner. It was us fans who hounded McLiesh out in the end was it not.

He was sacked, back when Randy cared. I was talking about Lambert, Lerner isn't going to sack him because you have a little moan.

You won't "hound" Lambert out either. He's far more stubborn than you can possibly imagine. He's here to stay, so either get behind the team or don't go. Hit them in the pocket.

Edited by dont_do_it_doug.

That's not the point sne. What I am saying is even in the highly unlikely event that we lost all three games, even if the teams around us picked up a couple of points, we wouldn't suddenly be marooned in the bottom three and unable to claw our way out; even in that highly unlikely circumstance we'd have a strong chance of staying up, especially if this magical new manager came in and had the effect that many of those who want Lambert gone seem to think it would have. 

Let's see if Lambert can take his new signings and start building the green shoots of recovery after a dark period. His squad is now fairly complete in a way that it never has been before.

If he can't, then it's time to hit the panic button, but now is definitely not that time.

We have only added gill and Sinclair to the players that have been here since the season began. The majority of our best 16 have been here ages.

So the squad being complete as never before is a guy who has hardly played for 2 years and someone brand new to the premier and the country.

I think that is way too little to gamble our future on.

Do you not think that adding Gil makes a massive difference to our ability to break teams down? Because you obviously haven't been watching him if not, he's either scored or created clear opportunities in every game he's played, and as the team get used to playing with him that should only improve.

As for 'gambling with our future', you seem to be suggesting that we wouldn't be gambling with our future if we changed the manager, which is clearly nonsense, particularly in the absence of a single outstanding candidate who would take the job.

Gil may make a difference, he may not. (And I have been watching thank you). Yes he did score, but the opportunities he created didn't alter our goal tally last week, they may not again, he may get injured, he may go off the boil, who knows ? To put as much onus on him as you now seem to be is dangerous, and my point is there are already - largely international - here who the manager has had a long time with but are not getting results.

And despite you calling my views nonsense, I happen to think the gamble of sticking with known failure is infinitely greater than anything, anything, else.

You don't, fine, but I simply don't see anything in results or performances that suggest he can keep us up, therefore as far as I am concerned to gamble on him getting it right because of those two players is just inconceivable.

In particular because regardless of whether we get a win or two soon, we have seen, in over 100 games !!...not like its ten or twelve games in......that he simply cannot put a run of any substance together.

We will go right to the last game, if we are lucky, and if we do I have seen enough to be convinced we will fall through the trap door.

I appreciate it has now come down to ' there is no alternative' and there will be two opposing views. In mine the idea that nobody can do better than appalling is not only defeatist it is unrealistic and unlikely to be true.

As I am sure he will relegate us there is, in my view, little or no risk to getting someone, anyone, else.

That's fair enough Terry. If I was sure he will relegate us I'd obviously agree, but that's far from the case. People were sure he would relegate us last year, and the year before that. Perhaps you were one of them, I don't know. Before that McLeish was definitely taking us down, as was Houllier before him. For the most part Villa fans are always certain that we'll be relegated if we are in a battle, we seem to be a pessimistic bunch with little stomach for the fight. 

Personally I think we'll stay up and I don't think it will come down to the last day either. And I'm not calling your views nonsense, but it is absolutely nonsense to say that changing managers isn't also a gamble - of course it is. 

Surely changing manager is a gamble worth taking, Lambert is getting worse every week never mind every season. I don't think the players are responding to him now either

• Like 3

I think it's getting to the stage now that sacking Lambert would in the long term do him a favour. The longer he stays at Villa serving awful football with record breaking bad results, the less potential new employers will remember his barnstorming efforts at Norwich. At least TSM left after a year and he now restarting his career at Genk. The long his stays the less slack has been given (lack of funds, bored owner, unrealistic fans) and Lambert is seen more and more as a clueless manager out of his depth. In 2.5 years he has gone from point A to point A playing even worse football with a (in fairness limited) scattergun transfer policy and random tactics. 

He will do well to get another job if he takes Villa where I fear his taking us.

• Like 1

He is breaking a crazy amount of records and none are for the good of the club.

However, despite the pure crap that we are served every week, I still like the bloke. I would even go as far as to say it is the players that I do not trust. Players like Agbonlahor, Weimann & N'Zogbia just are not good enough. (I know only 2 of those really play but in 3 seasons what has N'Zogbia actually done?).

We really need to change things up in the summer and get rid of quite a bit of deadwood again. Thankfully as far as I am aware some contracts will be coming to an end.

I do fear that we will be relegated this season, but even if we are I think Lambert should remain in charge to get us back up. He should have 5/6 games to get off to a good start to next season - which ever division we are in, and if we are struggling then it will be time to bring in someone new.

I am excited about some of the players still though. He does have an eye for a transfer but Lerner really needs to start giving him some money to bring in instant first team quality.

I am resigned to the fact that we will be relegated this season. So I won't be disappointed come May.

Edited by Tayls

However, despite the pure crap that we are served every week, I still like the bloke. I would even go as far as to say it is the players that I do not trust. Players like Agbonlahor, Weimann & N'Zogbia just are not good enough. (I know only 2 of those really play but in 3 seasons what has N'Zogbia actually done?).

We really need to change things up in the summer and get rid of quite a bit of deadwood again. Thankfully as far as I am aware some contracts will be coming to an end.

I do fear that we will be relegated this season, but even if we are I think Lambert should remain in charge to get us back up. He should have 5/6 games to get off to a good start to next season - which ever division we are in, and if we are struggling then it will be time to bring in someone new.

I am excited about some of the players still though. He does have an eye for a transfer but Lerner really needs to start giving him some money to bring in instant first team quality.

I am resigned to the fact that we will be relegated this season. So I won't be disappointed come May.

Oh my god, the goalposts have really moved now. Give him 5/6 games in the Championship and if we are struggling bring in someone new.

You couldn't make this up!

• Like 1

If a run of 12 points from a possible 57, including a run of nine games without a win (which included six defeats on the spin), the current run of 8 games without a win, 7 goals scored in 28 and half hours of league football and some absolute tripe served up during that run isn't enough for some to say enough is enough under this manager then, in all fairness, I doubt very much it ever will be.

i just could not have put that any better.

....its like the worst pub in the uk, there will always be one person in it, just to defy them that say its the worst pub.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 2

We're not getting relegated, but even if that were to happen Lambert would be the best person to bring us back up. Anyway as I say I don't think we'll go down because I think results will start improve over the next few months and hopefully things will start looking up for everyone.

Edited by useless
  • Like 1

It wasn't a joke. No one is better qualified than the man who knows the players and has led them to safety twice before.

You could also look at it as:

'No one is better qualified than the man who knows the players and has led them into a relegation battle twice before'.

A relegation battle that he won.

Well **** me, a mid table team wins a relegation battle. Why were they down there? And why is it that the more the squad improves, the worse the results get?

Oh my god, the goalposts have really moved now. Give him 5/6 games in the Championship and if we are struggling bring in someone new.

You can't just pick bits of the post you need to take it all into context.

It wasn't a joke. No one is better qualified than the man who knows the players and has led them to safety twice before.

You could also look at it as:

'No one is better qualified than the man who knows the players and has led them into a relegation battle twice before'.

A relegation battle that he won.

Well **** me, a mid table team wins a relegation battle. Why were they down there? And why is it that the more the squad improves, the worse the results get?

Who said we were a mid table team? The reason they were down there, is down to the money Lambert has been given to spend.

You can't just pick bits of the post you need to take it all into context.

Actually I can. If we are in the Championship next season then Lambert should not be anywhere near this club.

Â