Paul Lambert

limpid

2 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

Never been the same since he went to that Dortmund training session and had an epiphany that football was all about completing 1000 passes a game in your own third and losing 3-0.

And not having a shot all game 

3 hours ago, rodders0223 said:

Never been the same since he went to that Dortmund training session and had an epiphany that football was all about completing 1000 passes a game in your own third and losing 3-0.

Things were going down hill way before then. I think that 8-0 drubbing at Chelsea scarred him.

On 27/10/2018 at 15:43, Mantis said:

Things were going down hill way before then. I think that 8-0 drubbing at Chelsea scarred him.

We had by far the best run of his time in charge months after that. 

That training session really was the moment. Before that, we were a bad side who lost lots of matches, but who were set up to counter attack. It mostly didn't work, but occasionally it did and it seemed to be good for 15th-17th in the league. Then he went and got the conviction we needed to play possession football, despite having a team set up for counters, and we immediately, jarringly, sprang into a pattern of hugely increased possession and hugely decreased shots on goal. 

On 29/10/2018 at 00:27, HanoiVillan said:

That training session really was the moment. Before that, we were a bad side who lost lots of matches, but who were set up to counter attack. It mostly didn't work, but occasionally it did and it seemed to be good for 15th-17th in the league. Then he went and got the conviction we needed to play possession football, despite having a team set up for counters, and we immediately, jarringly, sprang into a pattern of hugely increased possession and hugely decreased shots on goal. 

Summer 2013 was the lost moment. Lerner should've backed him a bit more after our good end to the season. Instead he was given the funds to secure Luna, Bacuna, Tonev...

Didn't help himself by using the big money he did get to sign Kozak. Not the worst forward I've ever seen but we could only play one way with him in the team. We needed a playmaker option once teams worked out how to stop the counter attacks.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Summer 2013 was the lost moment. Lerner should've backed him a bit more after our good end to the season. Instead he was given the funds to secure Luna, Bacuna, Tonev...

Didn't help himself by using the big money he did get to sign Kozak. Not the worst forward I've ever seen but we could only play one way with him in the team. We needed a playmaker option once teams worked out how to stop the counter attacks.

Completely agree with all of that. 

4 hours ago, VillaChris said:

I think Lambert liked working them type of signings. Can be only explanation for him never going mad in public

On 29/10/2018 at 00:27, HanoiVillan said:

It was always in mind that a directive came from above (Tom Fox) PL to play more expansive football as crowds were dwindling, and there were grumbles that we were too boring. initially the possesion game was greeted favourably as a transition to better things.

Personally I could see no sense in it - sideways passing at walking pace ? - I couldn't see how a guy in the game as many years as lambert could seriously think that would work.

Despite that I actually quite liked lambert - with one or two exceptions he  always had to buy bargain basement players - he couldn't play Hutton due to the size of his salary for example.

Good luck at Ipswich Paul

8 minutes ago, hippo said:

Despite that I actually quite liked lambert - with one or two exceptions he  always had to buy bargain basement players - he couldn't play Hutton due to the size of his salary for example.

I really dont think that was the case at all

• Like 1

Â