Paul Lambert

limpid

8 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

He beat us when were at Wolves

That was at wolves though not villa Park. This is his first return. I wonder what reception he will get. 

It wasn't all his fault but after the first 18 months he was awful

2 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

It wasn't all his fault but after the first 18 months he was awful

I agree, at the same time the financial backing he got was a joke. Similar to Benitez at Newcastle.

Do you remember the times with Bertrand, Cleverley, Delph and Benteke? Remember some good times, not bad players that

Edited by villalad21

30 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

I agree, at the same time the financial backing he got was a joke. Similar to Benitez at Newcastle.

Do you remember the times with Bertrand, Cleverley, Delph and Benteke? Remember some good times, not bad players that

He should have been sacked after the Bradford games. That was the biggest humiliation in my life time. We actually could have won the cup that year against Swansea. 

• Like 1

It’s funny, when I think of the best moments with Lambert, it’s more or less all concentrated in that first season - beating Liverpool away, Sunderland 6-1, Lowton’s goal against Stoke, that general decent run towards the end of the season.

But at the same time all the main horrors I associate with him are in that season too - Bradford, Millwall, Chelsea 8-0....

With the exception of that opening win at Arsenal the following season when I allowed myself to think “we’re onto something here!” and supporters holding signs with arrows pointing to the goal in his final few games, I’ve more or less blanked out the remainder of his time here. 

As for his reception, I think it’ll be fairly indifferent. He’s been a bit bitter about his time here, but it’s been four years, we’ve gone through four managers and he’s on his fourth club since he was last at Villa Park. I’d be surprised if the atmosphere was anywhere near hostile.

• Like 1

After the horrors of Bradford/Millwall we actually ended that season pretty.

Played his attacking brand of football he'd employed at Norwich and Benteke, Gabby and Weimann were linking up well as a front three.

Then after the Arsenal and Chelsea (lost but played well) games to open the following season, it all went to shit.

19 minutes ago, Shropshire Lad said:

And supporters holding signs with arrows pointing to the goal in his final few games, I’ve more or less blanked out the remainder of his time here. 

As for his reception, I think it’ll be fairly indifferent. He’s been a bit bitter about his time here, but it’s been four years, we’ve gone through four managers and he’s on his fourth club since he was last at Villa Park. I’d be surprised if the atmosphere was anywhere near hostile.

Don't remind me. That run of not been able to even have a bloody shot on target was pathetic. Then that run when we were conceding from very set piece under lambert was a joke. 

Lambert was poo esp his final year but I still think sherwood was worse. Clueless fool

1 hour ago, Mantis said:

It's hard to figure out exactly where it all went wrong for Lambert, given our strong finish in his first season. I still think that 8-0 at Chelsea scarred him in a way he's never properly recovered from.

In comparison to what's gone on since, keeping us in the Prem for a couple of years was a decent achievement, especially considering our recent transfer budget has been something he could never have imagined getting himself.  He just took too many beatings by the end of it and he's not recovered from it.  There was also all that stuff with his assistants/coaching team that probably didn't help him.  I'm not sure who he works with nowadays.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

Friggin hell, I totally forgot they had him!

It could be argued that Zenga was their RDM appointment.

My wolves mate has previously mentioned Villa’s chopping and changing managers and I have to point out that since the Xia takeover and their takeover, both clubs have had the same number of managers*. 

Not that I condone constantly swapping managers, but when a club has benefited from swapping managers in quick succession like they did, it slightly pokes a hole in the argument.

*that’s if you discount them releasing Kenny Jackett - not sure when he was let go in relation to their takeover.

Edited by Shropshire Lad

4 hours ago, Zatman said:

Lambert lost the plot the day he signed Grant Holt

...and then Joe Cole, and Senderos,  and Kieran Richardson, and Cissokho, and Sanchez.
Talk about shitting the bed and going from one extreme to another.

"We're going to play the kids!!!"

..."well that weren't great.""

"...What washed up old words removed can we get in then? Get me any and all."

• Haha 1

Â