Paul Lambert

limpid

4 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

It's actually wild that our relegation season was orders of magnitude worse than anything Lambert served up. We've really been through some crap times. 

Yet i will always consider the end of the Lambert era the worse

I think I must have deleted the relegation season from my mind! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Xela said:

Yet i will always consider the end of the Lambert era the worse

I think I must have deleted the relegation season from my mind! 

We won 3 games all season. The team in 19th had double the number of points we had. We once went 19 games without winning, that's half a season!

• Haha 1

53 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

We won 3 games all season. The team in 19th had double the number of points we had. We once went 19 games without winning, that's half a season!

Wow, I must have deleted it too. Knew it was bad but not that bad.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

Wow, I must have deleted it too. Knew it was bad but not that bad.

On 27/01/2019 at 07:25, theboyangel said:

Most of us liked him at the start too

To be fair, we actually played some good football near the end of this first season and even destroyed Arsenal at the Emirates 3-1 in the opener of his 2nd season (Remember the Cult Hero Antonio Luna was for scoring in his debut?).  Then, Benteke picked up an injury and was out for several weeks and Lambert adopted the "Defense First" mentality which got worse and worse as time went on.  

Edited by KMitch
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, KMitch said:

To be fair, we actually played some good football near the end of this first season and even destroyed Arsenal at the Emirates 3-1 in the opener of his 2nd season (Remember the Cult Hero Antonio Luna was for scoring in his debut?).  Then, Benteke picked up an injury and was out for several weeks and Lambert adopted the "Defense First" mentality which got worse and worse as time went on.  

We also played Chelsea off the park at Stamford Bridge but were screwed over by the refs. We then ran riot in a League Cup game where Delph scored one of the best team goals I've seen Villa score.

It was just so inexplicable that he would revert to defensive football after all that promise over 2013. He didn't do it after we got smashed 15-0 in December of the previous season, but just after we started bearing the fruits of his labor? So weird.

1 hour ago, Keyblade said:

Think we got 1 point from the last 4 months of the season and that relegated Newcastle.

Fond memories of that season from Kolo Toure popping up to make it 6-0, to Eric Black ineptness, the great Bacuna through ball and of course Scott Sinclair hiding behind the corner flag or linesman at every chance he got. Amazingly we still beat blues in a derby with that shit squad 😂

I've said it before but we should have dropped in that second season. We got absolutely freak results beating arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool and a high flying Southampton away, that's a 12 point haul when realistically most seasons we'd be lucky to get 2. It kept us up and masked the shite performances against the also rans

23 minutes ago, VillaJ100 said:

I've said it before but we should have dropped in that second season. We got absolutely freak results beating arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool and a high flying Southampton away, that's a 12 point haul when realistically most seasons we'd be lucky to get 2. It kept us up and masked the shite performances against the also rans

That Southampton result was crazy, we had like 23% possession. The ultimate smash and grab job :lol:

Crazy to think we beat Liverpool 3 times under Lambert, all at Anfield. But we never beat Newcastle for example. 

Edited by Keyblade

30 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

That Southampton result was crazy, we had like 23% possession. The ultimate smash and grab job :lol:

Crazy to think we beat Liverpool 3 times under Lambert, all at Anfield. But we never beat Newcastle for example. 

We only beat Liverpool twice at Anfield but should have been 3 only for dodgy ref and a Suarez dive but get your point

11 hours ago, Zatman said:

that shit squad 😂

I know it's easy to look back in retrospect, but looking at that squad now it doesn't seem THAT bad.

Don't get me wrong, it's not good. But it doesn't seem as bad as we were. And again i'm looking at this from a position where players like Gana have gone on to be good players but maybe weren't there at this point.

From that squad we could have fielded:

----------------Guzan

Hutton, Clark, Baker, Amavi

Adama, Gana, Veretout, Gil

------------Ayew, Gestede

With players in reserve like

Okore, Bennett, Cissokho, Sinclair, Westwood, Sanchez, Bacuna, Gabby, Kozak

Again, don't get me wrong, it's a shit squad. But it's not bottom of the league with 17 points shit.
Kinda just shows how abject we were in all departments. not just the pitch.

7 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

I know it's easy to look back in retrospect, but looking at that squad now it doesn't seem THAT bad.

Don't get me wrong, it's not good. But it doesn't seem as bad as we were. And again i'm looking at this from a position where players like Gana have gone on to be good players but maybe weren't there at this point.

From that squad we could have fielded:

----------------Guzan

Hutton, Clark, Baker, Amavi

Adama, Gana, Veretout, Gil

------------Ayew, Gestede

With players in reserve like

Okore, Bennett, Cissokho, Sinclair, Westwood, Sanchez, Bacuna, Gabby, Kozak

Again, don't get me wrong, it's a shit squad. But it's not bottom of the league with 17 points shit.
Kinda just shows how abject we were in all departments. not just the pitch.

When you show no ambition in the hierarchy, don't expect anyone else to bother either.  That's what it all boils down to, especially in professional sports.  It becomes toxic, and spreads.  Rumors fly round, uncertainty sets in, it just becomes unpleasant.  The manager doesn't know if he's got a game left before the sack, there is no investment, the CEO is a knobhead.. The players playing shit shouldn't be a surprise to anyone. 

4 minutes ago, lapal_fan said:

When you show no ambition in the hierarchy, don't expect anyone else to bother either.  That's what it all boils down to, especially in professional sports.  It becomes toxic, and spreads.  Rumors fly round, uncertainty sets in, it just becomes unpleasant.  The manager doesn't know if he's got a game left before the sack, there is no investment, the CEO is a knobhead.. The players playing shit shouldn't be a surprise to anyone. 

Yeah I agree. That's kind of what I was getting at. Like a lot of teams who go down as pathetically as we did, there's something wrong beyond the playing staff.

20 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

I can only assume a lot of people have done this, which goes someway to explaining why some people still rate Tim Sherwood as anything other than a steaming pile of dog shit wrapped in human skin.

Must have done! I couldn't tell you anything about our relegation. I must have stopped caring at that point!

I don't rate Sherwood, think he's a plank, but for me the spell when he took over is probably the best we have been in the last 6 or 7 years. That's how low we have sunk. 

• Like 1

Just looking back at relegation season and **** we had some shit starting line-ups. Randomly picked Bournemouth at home

Guzan

Bacuna Lescott Clark Cissokho

Sinclair Gana Lyden Westwood Richardson

Ayew

Subs: Richards, Adama, Sanchez, Bunn, Grealish, Gestede, Toner

• 2 weeks later...
Â