Paul Lambert

limpid

3 hours ago, Zatman said:

Well he walked out 5 days before season started, that rocket polisher knew what he was doing

Principle my arse

Do you think MoN planned it that all along?

Or, is it not more reasonable to think that having seen his best player sold from under him, a complete nutjob brought in firmly against his wishes in return and little to no commitment over re-investing the remaining funds into the team, he lost his shit and walked out?

• Like 1

I can fully understand where he is coming from.

In a perfect world he resigns for the good of the club but we don't live in a perfect world where people are completely selfless. In an industry where your current job could quite easily be your last I can understand why you wouldn't just walk away.

That being said he did contribute to the downfall of the club, i'm just thankful now we seem to be on the up. 

I have no ill will towards him at all.

Edited by sexbelowsound
  • Like 3

32 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

He said delighted. 

....to Walter Smith.

In the interview, he talks about how it was a relief because the pressure was so huge and then quotes what he said to Walter Smith.  It's obviously contextual based on the pressure.  I doubt he was skipping away saying "yaaaay, I've been sacked!".

Mountain, molehill.

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Do you think MoN planned it that all along?

Or, is it not more reasonable to think that having seen his best player sold from under him, a complete nutjob brought in firmly against his wishes in return and little to no commitment over re-investing the remaining funds into the team, he lost his shit and walked out?

Well he had all summer to know that was going to happen, why wait until then. Milner knew he was leaving at world cup that summer

Plus he wanted sign McGeady, sackable offence :P

18 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Well he had all summer to know that was going to happen, why wait until then. Milner knew he was leaving at world cup that summer

Plus he wanted sign McGeady, sackable offence :P

Maybe so, but I got the sense that he was very much against Stephen Ireland joining, particularly for the £8M or so it accounted for in Milner's transfer fee and that this was a large part of the reason for him leaving.

Say what you like but he called that one perfectly, Ireland is a nutjob and became a problem for us very quickly.

5 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

He didn't care about the fans or club, he was more interested in his bank balance. Thats why I am personally angry at him. 

He's not an Aston Villa supporter. He's a professional football manager. There's no reason for him to care more about Aston Villa than his family finances. 

19 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

He's not an Aston Villa supporter. He's a professional football manager. There's no reason for him to care more about Aston Villa than his family finances. 

That could be said for numerous players who have been paid a fortune for doing nothing and refusing to leave. They seem to still get stick. 

1 hour ago, bobzy said:

....to Walter Smith.

In the interview, he talks about how it was a relief because the pressure was so huge and then quotes what he said to Walter Smith.  It's obviously contextual based on the pressure.  I doubt he was skipping away saying "yaaaay, I've been sacked!".

Mountain, molehill.

He is quoted in the interview saying he was delighted when he was sacked. Not sure how you can disagree. It's right there. Saying it to walter smith has no difference to showing how he clearly was waiting for the payoff as the club were heading down.

9 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

He is quoted in the interview saying he was delighted when he was sacked. Not sure how you can disagree. It's right there. Saying it to walter smith has no difference to showing how he clearly was waiting for the payoff as the club were heading down.

I’m not disagreeing that it’s there, it’s just not given in any context. If I was feeling stressed at work, left the job and someone asked how I was feeling having gone, I’d probably also say something like “delighted”. I wouldn’t be saying it because I wanted to fail or wanted to be sacked. I’d be saying it as a human emotion to the context of not having that pressure anymore.

It really isn’t hard to understand and it really isn’t any sort of big deal at all. I’m pretty sure close to the end of his reign, people were commenting on how utterly **** he looked and that he wouldn’t be able to take much more. Turns out, that was genuinely the case. 

BUT OBVIOUSLY ANYONE WHO THINKS THIS ISNT A BIG DEAL IS JUST A PAUL LAMBERT FAN RATHER THAN AN ASTON VILLA FAN.

18 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

That could be said for numerous players who have been paid a fortune for doing nothing and refusing to leave. They seem to still get stick. 

Sure. And we're all in the wrong then as well really. I get the need for venting; I do it myself at players and managers too. But there's no point taking it personally. If the club wanted a fan to manage the team they could pick from 30,000 faces each match day. But the debate about whether professionals or amateurs do a better job was settled fairly decisively about a century ago. So we have a manager for whom it's a job, not a hobby or a passion. 

If Steve Bruce offered to resign, and the club were daft enough to offer him a new three-year contract shortly afterwards, he would sign as well. Anybody would. 

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

This is really the crux of it. At the end of the day it's a business. He did what any of us would do at our own jobs. Expecting him to be selfless when he has no other affiliation with the club other than being employed by them is unfair.

30 minutes ago, bobzy said:

I’m not disagreeing that it’s there, it’s just not given in any context. If I was feeling stressed at work, left the job and someone asked how I was feeling having gone, I’d probably also say something like “delighted”. I wouldn’t be saying it because I wanted to fail or wanted to be sacked. I’d be saying it as a human emotion to the context of not having that pressure anymore.

It really isn’t hard to understand and it really isn’t any sort of big deal at all. I’m pretty sure close to the end of his reign, people were commenting on how utterly **** he looked and that he wouldn’t be able to take much more. Turns out, that was genuinely the case. 

BUT OBVIOUSLY ANYONE WHO THINKS THIS ISNT A BIG DEAL IS JUST A PAUL LAMBERT FAN RATHER THAN AN ASTON VILLA FAN.

And there's a very easy solution to the above issue. If you are delighted to have left the pressure because it was that bad, there was an option open to him. You assume he didn't want to be sacked at that point but he himself admits he knew it was coming. So he knew he was going to be sacked and he was delighted it happened. I think thats a pretty shitty thing to do when the club was so dangerously close to relegation

6 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

This is really the crux of it. At the end of the day it's a business. He did what any of us would do at our own jobs. Expecting him to be selfless when he has no other affiliation with the club other than being employed by them is unfair.

Do you defend gabby and richards as much?

Defend nzogbia as much?

Lamberts always had far more of a defence than he deserved. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Sure. And we're all in the wrong then as well really. I get the need for venting; I do it myself at players and managers too. But there's no point taking it personally. If the club wanted a fan to manage the team they could pick from 30,000 faces each match day. But the debate about whether professionals or amateurs do a better job was settled fairly decisively about a century ago. So we have a manager for whom it's a job, not a hobby or a passion. 

If Steve Bruce offered to resign, and the club were daft enough to offer him a new three-year contract shortly afterwards, he would sign as well. Anybody would. 

The offering to resign and then signing a new deal isn't my major issue. Shows how weak and pathetic he was at that point but not a massive issue.

For me it was waiting for a payoff as we headed to relegation that annoys me. 

4 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Do you defend gabby and richards as much?

Defend nzogbia as much?

Lamberts always had far more of a defence than he deserved. 

Well first of all, comparing managers and players is somewhat apples to oranges, but yes I don't agree with the slagging off of the players you mentioned for the most part.

Do I think they're complete wastes of talent and an embarrassment to footballers for not pushing themselves to get playing time elsewhere? Absolutely. But are they contractually obliged to do so? Nope. They're not bad people because they have their own financial interests in mind and don't care about our club. They're employees at the end of the day.

When it comes to managers it's a different situation. First, there isn't the job security that the players have. They can't just go elsewhere of they want. If the club convinced him to stay, why should he forfeit his livelihood? He's not a Villa fan ffs.

1 hour ago, HanoiVillan said:

Well that's the point he didn't care about the club the fans or relegating us. That's why I have a problem with him.

1 minute ago, HanoiVillan said:

Yeah, I get that. What I'm saying is I don't think it's a good point. 

You can be a football manager and care about a club. My point is if you are so delluisioned with your work just walk away let someone else have a go and try.

dont just let the club sink deeper and deeper while you just prod along. Also don't make out you were persuaded to stay on when you could have walked at any time.

Â