Paul Lambert

limpid

I see the "budget restraints" line used often in defense of Lambert. I simply cannot agree.

Like his predecessor, nothing in Lambert's football suggests that adding 2-3 "quality" players (the most we can expect under Lerner) would actually improve our football.

After all, a few new players does not constitute a complete style change - which is what we really need. You're more likely to achieve that with a new manager.

• Like 2

Wholesale change needed at the club. Lerner isn't going to leave anytime soon, so this process must start with Lambert.

Sadly, whoever comes in needs at least £50m just to stop the rot before we can kick on, and I just don't see that happening.

Haven't got a clue who we could turn to, but I'd take a Pulis type manager for two seasons to steady the ship and get us back to fringes of top 8. Errrghh, how did we get here.......?!

I think that Randy Lerner and Paul Faulkner need to realise that, if we manage to stay up this season, then Paul Lambert will take us down next season, regardless of how much he is given as a transfer budget.

Unfortunately, given their blind loyalty to managers in the past, even if they do realise, I doubt whether anything will be done about it.

• Like 3

I think that Randy Lerner and Paul Faulkner need to realise that, if we manage to stay up this season, then Paul Lambert will take us down next season, regardless of how much he is given as a transfer budget.

Unfortunately, given their blind loyalty to managers in the past, even if they do realise, I doubt whether anything will be done about it.

The simple fact is Lambert has lost most of the fans and really now he is a dead man walking.  It would not surprise me if he had lost some of the players too. They must realise too that he is just not cutting it.

Such as who ?

They hung onto Houllier and Mcleish throughout the season - but they both wen't pretty swiftly after that. I really don't know where this 'Lerner is Loyal to his managers comes from'

True most want Lambert out - But to axe him now would make a bad situation worse....

Long term, if our players are going cost on average £2m - and earn £25k pw - we ain't gonna be in the prem much lonher - whoever the manager is...

All the press have turned on Lambert, as have the away fans.  He's a dead man walking in my opinion.

Yeah. I noticed that one journalist at the pre press conferance ahead the Crystal Palace game. He pointed out the fact that there is no progression,Lambert were clearly uncomfortable with his questions. Jack on the other hand is always nice

Such as who ?

They hung onto Houllier and Mcleish throughout the season - but they both wen't pretty swiftly after that. I really don't know where this 'Lerner is Loyal to his managers comes from'

True most want Lambert out - But to axe him now would make a bad situation worse....

Long term, if our players are going cost on average £2m - and earn £25k pw - we ain't gonna be in the prem much lonher - whoever the manager is...

sack him now, there is no reason for him being here. New manager can see the players for the few weeks they are here before their summer holidays

I see the "budget restraints" line used often in defense of Lambert. I simply cannot agree.

Like his predecessor, nothing in Lambert's football suggests that adding 2-3 "quality" players (the most we can expect under Lerner) would actually improve our football.

After all, a few new players does not constitute a complete style change - which is what we really need. You're more likely to achieve that with a new manager.

He had a budget 10 times that of Bradford and Sheffield United yet lost to both and made us a laughing stock

We were not missing Benteke or Delph in either of these fixtures

The tactics and what goes on at the training ground is the issue

Edited by AshVilla
  • Like 1

Such as who ?

O'Neill! There was no blinder loyalty.

£2m? The manager had the budget and chose to buy more for less.

I think that you will find that a large percentage of Premiership players earn £20-30k per week, at clubs that are way ahead of us.

Such as who ?

O'Neill! There was no blinder loyalty.

£2m? The manager had the budget and chose to buy more for less.

I think that you will find that a large percentage of Premiership players earn £20-30k per week, at clubs that are way ahead of us.

None the less - the average price paid for a player by Lambert is around £2m.

My mate just sent me this, has it been discussed or did anyone see Nicholas say it?

Charlie Nicholas said on Soccer Saturday yesterday

"I have it on very good authority from a mutual friend of ours, that Paul has been exceptionally close to deals for Barry, Lukaku, Sissoko, Holtby and Coutinho, only to have them fail at boardroom level. He knows what he needs to do, but I'm not sure the structure put in place there will ever allow him to do any better. He'd be the first to admit he's not doing great, but I'm told he's getting frustrated by the lack of ambition. It's a big summer because he's kept his part of the bargain now. I think he'll walk away if he's not given funds."

My mate just sent me this, has it been discussed or did anyone see Nicholas say it?

Charlie Nicholas said on Soccer Saturday yesterday

"I have it on very good authority from a mutual friend of ours, that Paul has been exceptionally close to deals for Barry, Lukaku, Sissoko, Holtby and Coutinho, only to have them fail at boardroom level. He knows what he needs to do, but I'm not sure the structure put in place there will ever allow him to do any better. He'd be the first to admit he's not doing great, but I'm told he's getting frustrated by the lack of ambition. It's a big summer because he's kept his part of the bargain now. I think he'll walk away if he's not given funds."

Very interesting.

• Like 1

How on earth could he be exceptionally close to deals if he knows full well that the club won't pay the wages for the players?  Surely that's number one on most players' and agents' list of things to discuss when moves are negotiated? 

• Like 1

The idea that giving a poor manager a lot of money somehow transforms them into a decent manager is quite frankly ludicrous and you'd think our experience with Lambert's "gaffer" would be the case in point.

Also ludicrous is the idea that if you show enough patience in the manager, regardless of his calibre, it will all come up trumps in the end.

Not to mention the line of thought that having a young[ish] squad means the players within it will definitely develop to an upwards trajectory and the same squad will ergo be great in a few more years.

Ironic really, given that the subscribers to the aforementioned ideas are those who accuse others of viewing things in 'black and white'.

Well said.

How on earth could he be exceptionally close to deals if he knows full well that the club won't pay the wages for the players?  Surely that's number one on most players' and agents' list of things to discuss when moves are negotiated? 

I'd say Lambert is contacting the players/agents and asking if they would be interested in joining Villa. Then he says that he wants player X, he has talked to him and that he wants to join Villa but the Board don't pursue it any further because of the wages.

If I was Lambert I'd walk in the summer if I wasn't given at least £30m (Net) to spend. He's on a hiding to nothing otherwise. 

Â