Paul Lambert

limpid

I think if we want to get anywhere now we've gotta be ruthless and clinical. Gabby not performing? Benched. Still not performing? Sell. Im usually a lenient person and that's why i don't want Lambert sacked but he's pissing me off now. I know we've had a shit budget BUT budget teams CAN be done and bargains can be found - You can see great examples of clubs doing that everywhere. I also know they aren't that common. Too many years have we watched this shit go on. Lerner needs to **** off and take his shit with him. And if Lambert had done better than last season then id be tempted to say i wouldn't mind him staying to show what he can do with a proper backing but to be honest I'm really not bothered. One half of me says i think he'd do better with a decent budget, the other half says don't risk it get a new manager.

Edited by tomh621

It took Moyes time to build Everton into a competitive team under financial restrictions, it will take Lambert the same amount of time to make us competitive. 

That is bollocks. In his 1st full season in charge Everton came 7th. Lambert couldn't come 7th under Villa in 10 seasons.

• Like 4

It took Moyes time to build Everton into a competitive team under financial restrictions, it will take Lambert the same amount of time to make us competitive.

Not really, he finished fourth in his second full season there so not very long at all.

Not really, he finished fourth in his second full season there so not very long at all.

& where would Man Utd be right now if Lambert had taken over from Sour Alex Ferguson?

Hows the football Pulis has been playing any more dinosaur than what Lambert has subjected us to?

He's been a revelation since taking over at Palace and I don't see how no thrills football based on defensive solidarity is only a short-term strategy isn't that what Moyes did at Everton for years?

Isn't that what McLeish did at Villa Park though?

Well the fact Pulis has already won almost double the home games Mcleish managed in a whole season would suggest otherwise.

• Like 2

For a very good manager it would have taken time to establish us where we want to be. You are talking like Lambert will do this if he is given the time, that it is inevitable. It isn't, with him in charge we have established ourselves below the middle and it almost looks like he accepts it. I don't think Lambert will ever take us anywhere, not even with more money available. People can speak all day about our financial restrictions, but the manager doesn't seem to employ the right tactics and his acquisitions are questionable at best. Take away Benteke and it looks very, very poor. The biggest myth is of course that we don't spend any money - because we do. He has had a sufficient amount of cash to buy his new players, and most of them have been extremely poor.

• Like 2

That is bollocks. In his 1st full season in charge Everton came 7th. Lambert couldn't come 7th under Villa in 10 seasons.

Where did DM finish in his second full season at Everton? 17th with a record low 39 points and closing the season with four defeats in a row, and one win in ten. Should have been sacked there and then. They were knocked out the FA cup by League Two Shrewsbury in his first full season. The resemblance is striking at a similar size club.

• Like 1

& where would Man Utd be right now if Lambert had taken over from Sour Alex Ferguson?

I fail to see how that has any relevance to what I said.

Where did DM finish in his second full season at Everton? 17th with a record low 39 points and closing the season with four defeats in a row, and one win in ten. Should have been sacked there and then. They were knocked out the FA cup by League Two Shrewsbury in his first full season. The resemblance is striking at a similar size club.

Edit: My bad.

Edited by Isa

For a very good manager it would have taken time to establish us where we want to be. You are talking like Lambert will do this if he is given the time, that it is inevitable. It isn't, with him in charge we have established ourselves below the middle and it almost looks like he accepts it. I don't think Lambert will ever take us anywhere, not even with more money available. People can speak all day about our financial restrictions, but the manager doesn't seem to employ the right tactics and his acquisitions are questionable at best. Take away Benteke and it looks very, very poor. The biggest myth is of course that we don't spend any money - because we do. He has had a sufficient amount of cash to buy his new players, and most of them have been extremely poor.

I think Lambert deserves one more season before anyone can make a proper judgement call on his ability.

They did also finish 17th in his third season

Edited by lmarsha_926

Edit: Isa said it better, below (and I didn't get my facts straight).

Edited by ozvillafan

I got a little confused as to when he arrived but anyway these are Everton's first few finishes under him:

2002/03: 7th

2003/04: 17th

2004/05: 4th

2005/06: 11th

2006/07: 6th

So his first full season was a success which is why he was afforded patience in the one relegation-threatened season they had under him. That patience was justified on the basis of what he had done in his first season. Lambert on the other hand has followed up a crap season with an even worse one and therefore doesn't deserve more time nor has he done anything here to warrant any more faith being shown in him.

Edit: I didn't include the 2001/02 season as he only arrived in March, so it doesn't really count.

Edited by Isa
  • Like 3

In fairness Lambert needed to overhaul an entire squad in his first two years, I do not recall that happening at Everton. David Moyes won MOTY in his first full season at Everton, it did afford him more patience from the fans when you look back. But that is what you call regression by going backwards from 7th to 17th. Would you have sacked him?

I'd like to see what Lambert can do with a bigger budget.  As much as everyone wants to write off his signings, I happen to think he is, or has, a brilliant scout and I'm not writing off any one of his buys yet.  Look at how bad KEA, Vlaar, and especially Bennett were last season.  They look like different players all together, and I think we're only 3-4 quality players away from being a top 8 side.  I think Lambert will be the new David Moyes, a great scout and team builder, but a frustrating tactician and man manager.

I'd like to see what Lambert can do with a bigger budget.  As much as everyone wants to write off his signings, I happen to think he is, or has, a brilliant scout and I'm not writing off any one of his buys yet.  Look at how bad KEA, Vlaar, and especially Bennett were last season.  They look like different players all together, and I think we're only 3-4 quality players away from being a top 8 side.  I think Lambert will be the new David Moyes, a great scout and team builder, but a frustrating tactician and man manager.

Not a chance. Moyes's teams are usually hard to beat and concedes few goals, while Lambert's sides are easy to beat and concedes loads.Just look at how many goals Norwich conceded 2011/2012

Â