Paul Lambert

limpid

A new defence of Paul Lambert? In what way am I defending him?

It seems he and his team have wanted us to sign some very good players, but the board won't allow it. I'm merely pointing out that its more evidence of Lerner not caring about progression but simply wanting us to stay put in the league.

Yes all managers do want to sign good players, but unfortunately it seems that no manager for Aston Villa will be doing so any time soon unless they pick out some rough diamonds. That is exactly my point.

The fact that a Sky Sports pundit has come out and said it too shows that the media may be waking up a bit.

So Charlie 'fellow sweaty' Nicholls says it on SSN so it's true? I wonder who told him this little bit of information? Was it Lukaku? Was it Holtby? Was it Barry? No it was that serial liar Mr Paul 'cover my arse' Lambert! Just like the fees lies he is trying to make himself look good and now he is pointing the finger at Lerner!

Lerner is definitely a baddie here and the sooner he sells the club to anyone else the better.

However Lambert is not in the blameless category! Lambert is the one that makes brainless team selections and goes the lower teams for draws. Not Lerner

People here criticise Puliis and OK his football can be one dimensional at times but he has a system the players know it and they give their all every game.

If we came out every week were organised and gave our all I would support Lambert, it doesn't matter what they cost they should at least do that. However we very rarely see any organisation or commitment to the Villa cause and I think that stems from the attitude of the management team. 

That is why come the last game of the season Lambert needs to be sacked. Do I trust Lerner and Faulkner to find a decent new manager? Not on your nelly but Lambert is making McLeish look like at tactical genius!

• Like 1

So Charlie 'fellow sweaty' Nicholls says it on SSN so it's true? I wonder who told him this little bit of information? Was it Lukaku? Was it Holtby? Was it Barry? No it was that serial liar Mr Paul 'cover my arse' Lambert! Just like the fees lies he is trying to make himself look good and now he is pointing the finger at Lerner!

Pray tell, how do you know any of this? 

You are stating for a fact that Lambert has leaked this information and that he is a 'serial liar'. 

I think you need to calm down a bit. 

Exactly right Delboy.  Lambert bought the players he has, but can't even get them playing to their strengths.  He hasn't got a settled tactic or idea, and three at the back against Palace was criminal. 

• Like 1

You are stating for a fact that Lambert has leaked this information and that he is a 'serial liar'. 

He either told lies about the total amount of money he's spent on players, OR he's incredibly stupid.  One or t'other.

I doubt Lambert's ability to get the players mentioned playing in a decent formation anyway. We'd be better with those players, but it isn't an excuse for the poor football we have played for most of the season.

it is well documented that Lambert claimed his signings were a lot less than reported then the accounts gave the values in lines with the reported figures not Lambert. So he is either a liar or as Risso suggested stupid? You choose! I chose Liar!

I think I'm in the majority of fans who have largely been behind Lambert, but have lost patience.

Here are some of my thoughts after 1-1 away at QPR last season...

Decent today.
Battled well.

Ireland is important to us as he's often the one who takes up the impetus and plays the ball forward, encouraging others to do so. Think Lambert played it safe by bringing him on so late, but he was making sure we didn't leave many holes at the back and give a silly goal away - we hung on and got a point, he was right.

Bent, rightly on the bench again. Not the game for him, Benteke was getting the shit kicked out of him battling for every ball. Bent wouldn't have touched it. He'll be handy to throw on in games we are dominating but cannot score in, hopefully next week!

Westwood very good again, Baker and Clark good against an experienced side. Bannan just needs to be more careful. Make sure with those passes through a crowd, he tends to give it away when trying to play positive which is a small bonus whenever he plays badly, he'd trying to do the right thing.

Forgettable match, we've claimed a decent point in. Well done to all, Lambert is the man. 

After the Bradford away leg last season...

Big fan of Lambert but this isn't enjoyable.

Inherited a right mess and had made some big calls which at the minute are not paying off.

Players are absolutely shitting themselves on the pitch though, so scared of passing the ball. 

After the 2-2 collapse away to WBA last season

Lambert is the man. 

Before the 2-1 win over Bradford at VP...

Lambert deserves untold credit if stay up, he's had no where near the support required.

He signed the spine of our team, Guzan, Vlaar, Westwood and Benteke, for not a lot of cash. 

After the 2-1 win over Bradford at VP...

Lambert is the man, but he needs to sort this mess out.

5-0-5 after Bradford scored, very poor. Don't for one minute believe this was what he was trying to do but he has to control this abysmal side and he's not doing it very well. 

After the 3-3 collapse away at Everton last season...

Lambert is the man. I'm with him.

When Mourinho wants to come here, give me a shout and I'll reconsider.

You can take your Curbishleys, Pulis', Adkins' and shove them.

Some questionable opinions on various things in there (Bannan & Pulis!), but the support of Lambo is evident, and was throughout the darkest times of last season. The overall support has been similar in my opinion, we've largely been supportive of Lambert and have put up with some serious shit.

I was wrong, and I don't think he's earned another season at Aston Villa. I'm gutted, because I did think he was the right man for us, a manager we could put our trust in.

He has certainly had restrictions but there is no plan A at all, let alone a plan B. If there has been a plan A, he isn't getting it across to the players well enough I'm afraid.

Edited by Tomaszk
  • Like 1

Why is he either a liar of stupid? That's a pretty childish thing to say. 

He gave an interview where he claimed that the reported costs of his signings were rubbish.  The accounts reveal that they were actually pretty well spot on.

A new defence of Paul Lambert? In what way am I defending him?

It seems he and his team have wanted us to sign some very good players, but the board won't allow it. I'm merely pointing out that its more evidence of Lerner not caring about progression but simply wanting us to stay put in the league.

Yes all managers do want to sign good players, but unfortunately it seems that no manager for Aston Villa will be doing so any time soon unless they pick out some rough diamonds. That is exactly my point.

The fact that a Sky Sports pundit has come out and said it too shows that the media may be waking up a bit.

Lerner is definitely a baddie here and the sooner he sells the club to anyone else the better.

However Lambert is not in the blameless category! Lambert is the one that makes brainless team selections and goes the lower teams for draws. Not Lerner

People here criticise Puliis and OK his football can be one dimensional at times but he has a system the players know it and they give their all every game.

If we came out every week were organised and gave our all I would support Lambert, it doesn't matter what they cost they should at least do that. However we very rarely see any organisation or commitment to the Villa cause and I think that stems from the attitude of the management team.

That is why come the last game of the season Lambert needs to be sacked. Do I trust Lerner and Faulkner to find a decent new manager? Not on your nelly but Lambert is making McLeish look like at tactical genius!

Lambert himself said in the press that approaches were made for both Lukaku and Holtby but they cost too much. Barry I believe was mentioned by HH, I may be wrong. So you think this was all lies?

I didn't say Lambert was blameless, I posted afterwards saying he's far from blameless.

Lambert must have known the budgetary constraints when he took the job and must have agreed to them.

So why has he apparently been wasting his time scouting and bombarding the board with requests to buy players he knows they won't stump up for?

Wouldn't he have been better off drilling the squad he could afford to play a little more consistently, especially against the lower-table clubs we should have beeen picking up more points from?

Edited by briny_ear

That Charlie Nicholas stuff is funny.

You can just imagine Lambert calling up his old pal and giving him that info. "Charlie, i'm telling you we had Coutinho on the bag mate, just couldn't afford his wages so he joined his second choice Liverpool"

Ditto the others too.

The board owe Lambert big time - for overhauling the squad and dealing with the request to ship off the higher earners. It's obvious that the management is capable of scouting players but they need to back him sufficiently in the summer.

Faulkner/Lerner are stifling the club far more than Lambert.

It is a myth that he has shipped out the high earners though.. He has isolated and probably lowered the values of bent given Hutton and nzog but we are still paying their wages

The same Alan Hutton who refused to lower his wage demands or accept a smaller payoff from the club when offered to join other clubs on loan. Yeah, must be Lambert's fault.

Why would clubs offer more for either of them though, when it was made perfectly clear by lambert that they were training with the youth team and surplus to requirements. Surely it would've been more reasonable to keep them around the first team squad. Yes we know that Hutton is a poor player but have lamberts rb's been consistently better?

He gave an interview where he claimed that the reported costs of his signings were rubbish.  The accounts reveal that they were actually pretty well spot on.

He was asked in an interview about the cost of a couple of his signings and he said the fees were lower than reported. It is quite possible for the total amount spent to be right AND Lambert to be correct on the players he mentioned.

Still, lets not let that get in the way of childish & cowardly abuse.

• Like 2

Lambert must have known the budgetary constraints when he took the job and must have agreed to them.

So why has he apparently been wasting his time scouting and bombarding the board with requests to buy players he knows they won't stump up for?

Wouldn't he have been better off drilling the squad he could afford to play a little more consistently, especially against the lower-table clubs we should have beeen picking up more points from?

Perhaps the financial constraints are worse than he was lead to believe?

If he buys cheap players he's at fault, if he trys to buy more expensive players he's at fault?

Not quite. If, when we are uncomfortably close to the relegation zone thanks to the performance of his squad, we start getting a lot of spin about the wonderful players he wanted to buy, he is at fault.

If the budgetary constraints turned out to be greater than he expected, it would only take one request to find out. Why go on bidding for players he knew he couldn't get?

He was asked in an interview about the cost of a couple of his signings and he said the fees were lower than reported. It is quite possible for the total amount spent to be right AND Lambert to be correct on the players he mentioned.

Still, lets not let that get in the way of childish & cowardly abuse.

Childish and cowardly? with all respect that has to be one of the silliest retorts I have seen on VT for a long time. Come on mate you are better than that.

There is now more and more "proof" that Lambert is thrashing around trying to blame anyone and everyone than himself. That is seemingly the make up of the man. Where in reality the manager should have the broadest of shoulders and take the criticism, each day and defeat we see the thicker layers of teflon being applied by him and his dwindling band of supporters so that nothing can apparently stick to him.

He has failed basically and simply to do the job he was employed to do. Football managers like him are 10 a penny in the whole scheme of things, and he has done nothing on the field to prove his worth to the club and it seems now very little off the field either. He should go, he should have gone before but for some obscure reason he plays the "emperors new clothes" game and a lot of the fan base got suckered. Luckily now people are seeing him for what he is and what he has achieved.

I am sure he is a fair bloke, but he is not the right man to manage us and should be out of the club at the first opportunity

Edited by drat01
  • Like 2

My mate just sent me this, has it been discussed or did anyone see Nicholas say it?

Charlie Nicholas said on Soccer Saturday yesterday

"I have it on very good authority from a mutual friend of ours, that Paul has been exceptionally close to deals for Barry, Lukaku, Sissoko, Holtby and Coutinho, only to have them fail at boardroom level. He knows what he needs to do, but I'm not sure the structure put in place there will ever allow him to do any better. He'd be the first to admit he's not doing great, but I'm told he's getting frustrated by the lack of ambition. It's a big summer because he's kept his part of the bargain now. I think he'll walk away if he's not given funds."

Charlie's version of events seems to be pretty well tied in with my understanding of goings-on at VP.

He has failed basically and simply to do the job he was employed to do.

Hmm...  Not necessarily true.  If the job he was employed to do was reduce costs and keep the team in the league then (so far) he's done what he was employed to do.

Whether he's done what the fans would've liked him to do, or done what was asked of him in a manner the fans approve of, is a different question altogether.

• Like 4

He has failed basically and simply to do the job he was employed to do.

Hmm...  Not necessarily true.  If the job he was employed to do was reduce costs and keep the team in the league then (so far) he's done what he was employed to do.

Whether he's done what the fans would've liked him to do, or done what was asked of him in a manner the fans approve of, is a different question altogether.

Rob - I see what you are saying mate, but I cannot believe that was his sole remit when taking the job else it would seem to be a strange one for someone like him to take, IMO

But your last point is a key one because at the end of the day that is typically what employees of the club are judged by in terms of criteria etc

Â