Paul Lambert

limpid

A new defence of Paul Lambert? In what way am I defending him?

It seems he and his team have wanted us to sign some very good players, but the board won't allow it. I'm merely pointing out that its more evidence of Lerner not caring about progression but simply wanting us to stay put in the league.

Yes all managers do want to sign good players, but unfortunately it seems that no manager for Aston Villa will be doing so any time soon unless they pick out some rough diamonds. That is exactly my point.

The fact that a Sky Sports pundit has come out and said it too shows that the media may be waking up a bit.

So Charlie 'fellow sweaty' Nicholls says it on SSN so it's true? I wonder who told him this little bit of information? Was it Lukaku? Was it Holtby? Was it Barry? No it was that serial liar Mr Paul 'cover my arse' Lambert! Just like the fees lies he is trying to make himself look good and now he is pointing the finger at Lerner!

Lerner is definitely a baddie here and the sooner he sells the club to anyone else the better.

However Lambert is not in the blameless category! Lambert is the one that makes brainless team selections and goes the lower teams for draws. Not Lerner

People here criticise Puliis and OK his football can be one dimensional at times but he has a system the players know it and they give their all every game.

If we came out every week were organised and gave our all I would support Lambert, it doesn't matter what they cost they should at least do that. However we very rarely see any organisation or commitment to the Villa cause and I think that stems from the attitude of the management team.

That is why come the last game of the season Lambert needs to be sacked. Do I trust Lerner and Faulkner to find a decent new manager? Not on your nelly but Lambert is making McLeish look like at tactical genius!

Lambert himself said in the press that approaches were made for both Lukaku and Holtby but they cost too much. Barry I believe was mentioned by HH, I may be wrong. So you think this was all lies?

I didn't say Lambert was blameless, I posted afterwards saying he's far from blameless.

Well I can go visit the Bentley showroom this afternoon but there's not much point if I have already spunked my whole budget on 10 Dacias?  Same for Lambert if he has spent his budget on rubbish then tough!

He obviously told Lerner he could build us a side with the constraints he has and I think he is now realised he isn't ableto so has started banding around he was after better players?

Why is he either a liar of stupid? That's a pretty childish thing to say. 

He gave an interview where he claimed that the reported costs of his signings were rubbish.  The accounts reveal that they were actually pretty well spot on.

He was asked in an interview about the cost of a couple of his signings and he said the fees were lower than reported. It is quite possible for the total amount spent to be right AND Lambert to be correct on the players he mentioned.

Still, lets not let that get in the way of childish & cowardly abuse.

What childish and cowardly abuse? It is reasoned arguments! 

I hope Charlie boy is right, well at least the bit about him walking away.

I'm not going to be able to see the game this weekend as I'm away but I know he's going to get the dogs abuse if his team fails once again! I hope not as I always want us to win but our home form is an absolute disgrace and I can't see it improving.

Just do the honourable thing Lambert and walk now.

My mate just sent me this, has it been discussed or did anyone see Nicholas say it?

Charlie Nicholas said on Soccer Saturday yesterday

"I have it on very good authority from a mutual friend of ours, that Paul has been exceptionally close to deals for Barry, Lukaku, Sissoko, Holtby and Coutinho, only to have them fail at boardroom level. He knows what he needs to do, but I'm not sure the structure put in place there will ever allow him to do any better. He'd be the first to admit he's not doing great, but I'm told he's getting frustrated by the lack of ambition. It's a big summer because he's kept his part of the bargain now. I think he'll walk away if he's not given funds."

Charlie's version of events seems to be pretty well tied in with my understanding of goings-on at VP.

But is this supposed to make us more sympathetic to Lambert? Seems he's been wasting his time scouting players he knew the club wouldn't buy.

Should have spent more time getting his squad to play better.

Why is he either a liar of stupid? That's a pretty childish thing to say. 

He gave an interview where he claimed that the reported costs of his signings were rubbish.  The accounts reveal that they were actually pretty well spot on.

He was asked in an interview about the cost of a couple of his signings and he said the fees were lower than reported. It is quite possible for the total amount spent to be right AND Lambert to be correct on the players he mentioned.

Still, lets not let that get in the way of childish & cowardly abuse.

If several players cost less than reported, then several players have to have cost more than to maintain the total.  Even if the former point is true, which I strongly doubt, which players do you think cost more, and why hasn't Lambert banged on about the fees being less than what was actually spent?

But is this supposed to make us more sympathetic to Lambert? Seems he's been wasting his time scouting players he knew the club wouldn't buy.

Jesus wept. Obviously he is trying to find players that would make us better. None of those players were big money signings (although they are high wages) but yet our board wouldn't sanction the moves. I don't really know how people expect us to be doing better if Lambert isn't allowed sign anyone half decent and has to resort to tripe like Sylla and Tonev. He is managing with one hand tied behind his back.

Edited by villa89
  • Like 2

My mate just sent me this, has it been discussed or did anyone see Nicholas say it?

Charlie Nicholas said on Soccer Saturday yesterday

"I have it on very good authority from a mutual friend of ours, that Paul has been exceptionally close to deals for Barry, Lukaku, Sissoko, Holtby and Coutinho, only to have them fail at boardroom level. He knows what he needs to do, but I'm not sure the structure put in place there will ever allow him to do any better. He'd be the first to admit he's not doing great, but I'm told he's getting frustrated by the lack of ambition. It's a big summer because he's kept his part of the bargain now. I think he'll walk away if he's not given funds."

Charlie's version of events seems to be pretty well tied in with my understanding of goings-on at VP.

Should have spent more time getting his squad to play better.

Say what you want, but if it is true, those players would have improved us massively. Time for the board to piss off.

• Like 1

Sorry, he must have known the financial constraints when he joined, or found them out fairly quickly after he joined, so this is just spin to deflect from his failings and turn the focus on the board.

I don't think fans need to be told the board are crap.

That doesn't mean we will forget that Lambert is also crap.

• Like 1

Sorry, he must have known the financial constraints when he joined, or found them out fairly quickly after he joined, so this is just spin to deflect from his failings and turn the focus on the board.

Largely depends upon whether the goalposts have changed or not.

I don't think fans need to be told the board are crap.

That doesn't mean we will forget that Lambert is also crap.

Look at what Kendrick has said. Like Briny said all spin, smoke and mirrors to try and justify the fact that Lambert cannot pick a side, set up a formation or motivate his players. The guy can see he will end up like McLeish a failure sitting at home being his wife's gopher!

I really hope, as I am lead to believe, that a takeover will follow shortly. If not, I fear for the future of our club under this kind of management from the board. The conditions that are in place are not conducive for any manager to succeed.

• Like 1

I really hope, as I am lead to believe, that a takeover will follow shortly. If not, I fear for the future of our club under this kind of management from the board. The conditions that are in place are not conducive for any manager to succeed.

So is your source for this just Howard Hodgson's twitter or is it a person involved in the takeover, please enlighten us without obviously compromising anyone?

Lambert is the right man to lead Villa forward (IMO), but the restrictions placed upon him from above are an anchor that will see us sink with time. I am thankful for a lot of Randy did for the club, but right now, unless he digs deep, we will struggle to survive in the future. We will not be relegated this year, but the current model will not last in it's current state. We need the board to invest in players that will benefit the first-team not just the squad.

Completely disagree I think he has lost the plot along with the dressing room!

When Mcleish left didn't he say he was goin to sign Siggurdson and Douglas? Lambert saying he was close to signing the players listed previously is the same kind of BS surely?

Or the same let down for both managers - we need to move on from the manager bashing.

If you change a bulb 3 times and the lamp still doesn't work - it isn't the bulb, it's the lamp

• Like 4

Christ, you can't help yourself can you?  Who has "led you to believe" that a takeover is imminent, and what are their credentials?

Â