Paul Lambert

limpid

The last few pages only confirm my congenital suspicions..........................Bullshit baffles!

Bottom Line - Lambert In.

We do potentially have a really great manager. No question.

Surely, given the parameters & constraints, due to the current dictates of finance, this must be apparent to all?

Anyway, as the truly great Ron Saunders would demand, I therefore unhesitatingly pledge my 110% backing to Lambo No.5 our great, great Messiah & I hope everybody else does like wise.

In Lambo we trust! Long may he reign!

No question for you maybe...

Yes, but it makes you sound clever if you say the manager's tactics aren't good, and you can't be proved wrong. It's a win-win.

Isn't it exactly the same if you just keep asserting that the manager will get things right if we just give him time?

That can't be proved wrong either.

Shh! 'Common-sense' is only exclusive to the manager's apologists remember.

Edited by Isa
  • Like 1

The last few pages only confirm my congenital suspicions..........................Bullshit baffles!

Surely, given the parameters & constraints, due to the current dictates of finance, this must be apparent to all?

Anyway, as the truly great Ron Saunders would demand, I therefore unhesitatingly pledge my 110% backing to Lambo No.5 our great, great Messiah & I hope everybody else does like wise.

I'm not convinced. Especially after this season.

I haven't seen enough of an improvement in how we play our football this season to suggest that we will improve next season, or that we even have a plan we are trying to follow.

I hear a lot about the squad quality and the limitations placed upon Lambert - and perhaps that is warranted. But what I don't hear much about is what we are doing now in preparation for our assumed "quality" signings to come in the summer. Are we suddenly going to be playing better football with a few quality signings? What happens when they are unavailable? Or take a while to settle in?

We should be playing now the type of football we want to see later. Our squad should be versed in how the system works, what their role is and what tactics we are using regardless of their supposed lack of ability. It may not work out immediately, but the few quality additions would then actually make a difference with our existing players providing cover already experienced in the way we want to play. That gives us realistic options for rotation due to injury, suspension or form.

Instead, I see one-dimensional football with little improvement in style/tactics/formations/roles within the squad after (almost) 2 full seasons. The majority of our football is poor - even some of our basics are awful (watch Bertrand try to find a Villa shirt from a throw in, for instance) - and having to "start again" with a better quality squad really means the last 2 years are for nothing and more seasons of struggle are to be expected till we finally start playing decent football.

Just what is the plan, exactly? I don't see enough evidence that we are working to one other than "survive".

• Like 2

I haven't seen enough of an improvement in how we play our football this season to suggest that we will improve next season, or that we even have a plan we are trying to follow.

I hear a lot about the squad quality and the limitations placed upon Lambert - and perhaps that is warranted. But what I don't hear much about is what we are doing now in preparation for our assumed "quality" signings to come in the summer. Are we suddenly going to be playing better football with a few quality signings? What happens when they are unavailable? Or take a while to settle in?

We should be playing now the type of football we want to see later. Our squad should be versed in how the system works, what their role is and what tactics we are using regardless of their supposed lack of ability. It may not work out immediately, but the few quality additions would then actually make a difference with our existing players providing cover already experienced in the way we want to play. That gives us realistic options for rotation due to injury, suspension or form.

Instead, I see one-dimensional football with little improvement in style/tactics/formations/roles within the squad after (almost) 2 full seasons. The majority of our football is poor - even some of our basics are awful (watch Bertrand try to find a Villa shirt from a throw in, for instance) - and having to "start again" with a better quality squad really means the last 2 years are for nothing and more seasons of struggle are to be expected till we finally start playing decent football.

Just what is the plan, exactly? I don't see enough evidence that we are working to one other than "survive".

Just highlighted this bit as interesting. Why do we always seem to lose possession following throw-ins? Surely we must turn the ball over more in those situations than any other team in the league. It's fascinating that even someone who's come in on loan can be just as bad at them. 

The jury's out for Lambert still - there is enough evidence to form cases for and against him but I think the verdict will have to be at the end of the calendar year. This will have given him time to buy in the few quality players we're all craving and show what he's about - he'll have had enough time by then and if it's clear that we haven't progressed then I'd definitely consider looking elsewhere. I like the guy and I hope he succeeds but only time will tell.

I completely understand this point of view but i think we have seen glimpses of how Lambert wants villa to play but so far they have been few and far between. In my opinion playing exactly how you want to play regardless of how limited our players are gets you in a situation like Wigan under Martinez. WIth the wage restrictions and rebuilding going on i think this is the best comparison we have. Wigan played great football but only narrowly avoided the drop year by year. It led to them reaching and winning a cup but ultimately they plunged into the championship. I think Lambert took a huge risk taking this position - he has to sacrifice the football for a period of time to rebuild and get whatever results we can to maintain our premier league status and slowly introduce an ethos to the club. This started with freezing out the overpaid and bringing in young players and giving them a chance. Potential signings can see we give youth a chance and i think it has been set up this way so Villa seems like a viable option.

I think it is short sighted of some (not directed this to the OP) to not see this is the situation. This has been communicated to the fans on many occasions (and i concede a lot of the time is isn't very direct) but such is the modern fan that one win makes us deserving of being 7 league places above where we should be and a loss puts us 7 below.

In the simplest terms, if we don't beat Fulham, Lambert should go.

Even though we may still be 12th? :blink:

Is this a serious question? Our league placing to me is far more determined by the weakness of other teams rather than a mistaken sign of progress. Lambert is making Brendan Rodgers look like a genius in comparison to the rebuild each have undertaken.

Yes Liverpool were at a better starting point and have had better resources than our selves. But Liverpool have had the tougher nut to crack to try and regain top 4 status. Personally I think they look most likely to win the league now too. What an achievement that would be by Rodgers.

Meanwhile we plod along and should but great full for the handful of games our team turns up to. What makes it ever more infuriating is the inability to beat teams on 'our' level. We know the players have the talent because when expectation is low and we are well and truly underdogs we excel against the top sides. This is solely in the hands of Lambert to improve results now.

Study Fulham's away form and current league position and I think any self respecting club sitting in 12th position would be 'embarrassed' if they couldn't turn up and pump a couple of goals (at home) past them to win the game. We have to turn up for this game as a team.

When was the last time Villa got doubled by the team finishing bottom in the league? Personally, it's a record I wouldn't want to see our current manager tagged with as part of his growing collection.

Now Villa - do the bizz please.

I go along with what i think is the general feeling of lambert is probably the right/best man for the job currently. He was the man i wanted after mcleish and last season he had my full support. He still does have my support but the result against chelsea makes me question it to a certain extent. I watched that game delighted with the pressing, hard work and tempo and the resutl was deserved, then i watch stoke and we start well pressing get 1 nil up and we sit back and hardly put a tackle in for the rest of the game and get our pants pulled down making what i consider to be a poor stoke side missing there best midfield player look like barcalona passign around us. For FS press and play at tempo and we would have beaten stoke, then the united game i just new we would capitulate against a side who a struggling with confidence and form and lets be honest are poor compared to other seasons.

this is were my frustration with lambert starts, why press chelsea so well and then not bother doing it against stoke it nakes no sense to me and for me its happened to often this season. Good performances on occasions with high tempo but far to often lack lusture slow ponderous naive showings against average sides. I will add that i think the players should take a share of the responsability for poor perfromances.

I am still backing lambert but this summer is a massive one for him IMO he needs backing by the board and i think he will get it right but if we have a season next year like the last 2 i will find it hard to keep the faith. I know he has his hands tide to a certain extent but we need to improve.

• Like 2

Yes, but it makes you sound clever if you say the manager's tactics aren't good, and you can't be proved wrong. It's a win-win.

Isn't it exactly the same if you just keep asserting that the manager will get things right if we just give him time?

That can't be proved wrong either.

I know this is aimed towards me.  :) And to answer your question Briny, not at all. My opinion will either be proved or disproved over a period of time, I will hold my hands up and admit I was wrong if the latter happens. I do believe we will keep getting stronger each season under Lambert though.

• Like 1

The cold hard fact is Lambert is breaking records faster than Usain Bolt, only ones we don't want.

Sometimes you can see his ambition, but this season we have barely improved, the team selections and substitute decisions vary in logic and effectiveness greatly, the signings made so far have been more bad than good.

1 in 10 half time team talks make any difference

There is no consistency of performance from any player (other than bad).

The smash and grab attacking football on the break is quality at times and good to watch but it's completely unsustainable and only works for teams that come at us, the teams around us don't do that which is why you can expect us to struggle to break down teams like Fullham etc.

I am not saying there isn't hope and people having blind faith in lambert - fair enough, but ultimately there is no statistics or proof that he is or has been a good manager for us so far - he hasn't even improved on McDick other than he doesn't play 9 defenders and he signed Tekkers.

• Like 1

In the simplest terms, if we don't beat Fulham, Lambert should go.

Even though we may still be 12th? :blink:

Is this a serious question? Our league placing to me is far more determined by the weakness of other teams rather than a mistaken sign of progress. Lambert is making Brendan Rodgers look like a genius in comparison to the rebuild each have undertaken.

Yes Liverpool were at a better starting point and have had better resources than our selves. But Liverpool have had the tougher nut to crack to try and regain top 4 status. Personally I think they look most likely to win the league now too. What an achievement that would be by Rodgers.

Meanwhile we plod along and should but great full for the handful of games our team turns up to. What makes it ever more infuriating is the inability to beat teams on 'our' level. We know the players have the talent because when expectation is low and we are well and truly underdogs we excel against the top sides. This is solely in the hands of Lambert to improve results now.

Yes, what an achievement that would be for Rodgers.  He inherited a squad containing the likes of Suarez and was able to offer him 200k a week to stay at Liverpool.  Comparing the job Rodgers has done to Lambert is like comparing apples with oranges. You think cracking top four with a team containing the likes of Suarez and Gerrard is harder than what Lambert has had to do?!  Lambert has had to rebuild the squad of club that was sinking fast with some pretty astute buys on a very tight budget.  Rodgers would have sunk without trace under such constraints.

Edited by McGregor1888
  • Like 1

Amazes me how Liverpool manage to just spend, spend, spend with apparent immunity from FFP whilst we cut, cut, cut because "apparantly" of FFP!

Says more about the ambition of the two owners than FFP to me.

jennifer-lawrence-10.gif

You make a fair point.  This is a the summer where, for me, Lerner and PF, have to show their real ambition for the club.

5th longest serving manager in the premier league, and 22nd in the football league.

The shelf life of managers is so short. I know this get bought up so often but I couldnt believe when I saw that.

• Like 1

I am not saying there isn't hope and people having blind faith in lambert - fair enough, but ultimately there is no statistics or proof that he is or has been a good manager for us so far - he hasn't even improved on McDick other than he doesn't play 9 defenders and he signed Tekkers.

How are people having "blind faith"?  We're currently set to improve on last season, he seems to address issues as they arise (although God only knows what's happened to our defence lately) and knows where we need to buy players.  I've seen enough within certain games to know that we can perform better and a lack of quality is really what's hindering us.

Â