Paul Lambert

limpid

What I want to know is how the squad will be "totally unrecognisable" in 12 months, then in 24 months "even more so".  I am literally dying trying to understand how you can be more than totally unrecognisable.  Literally dying.

Risso - I am just trying to say we will improve if we keep building the team. This includes the players we have now improving and some being replaced with better players.

All of my optimistic forecasts are on the premise that Lambert will be allowed to spend his budget on quality instead of quantity now.

Edited by GENTLEMAN
  • Like 1

Trent's post on the last page sums it up for me. We've gone from an expensive squad on high wages having no sell on value finishing just outside the relegation zone, to an inexpensive squad on sustainable wages which is young and with development for the most part have sell on value in excess of what we paid for them, who this season will finish lower mid table, possibly higher if we get some form together.

Doing this and staying in the league is an acheivement in itself in my eyes in such a short space of time. Now we build from a far stronger position and we don't need a total rebuild trying to get rid of older players, underperforming on high wages.

I doubt even the staunchest pro Lambert poster on here will tell you how awesome we've been these 2 years, we've (by the standards of the league) been poor in getting results and at times looked like complete strangers on the pitch. However, we have played some good games, seen solid improvemet from a few players who are staking their claim to be the core of the next phase of building on what we have now.

Edited by romavillan
  • Like 4

We keep playing the same record of excuses.... to get a team to defend doesn't cost the massive sums it does to get them to score...Shaun Teale, Ugo...... what about Kompany @ 6 mill.

for every Kompany, City have bought a Jo or Rodwell or javi Garcia. Kompany was a great buy but City have also bought a lot of garbage and so has every manager. If Lambert could afford these players he might go for them

We keep playing the same record of excuses.... to get a team to defend doesn't cost the massive sums it does to get them to score...Shaun Teale, Ugo...... what about Kompany @ 6 mill.

for every Kompany, City have bought a Jo or Rodwell or javi Garcia. Kompany was a great buy but City have also bought a lot of garbage and so has every manager. If Lambert could afford these players he might go for them

They signed Kompany before the takeover. I remember reading a while back that the supporters' trust actually signed Kompany with the Sky TV money in advance. Anyway, Okore is our Kompany and more.  :D

The board haven't been vocal at any point Randy has only given one interview I think?

I got the point I just completely disagree and think it is very clear what the clubs intentions are.

Fine, as long as you acknowledge you are doing exactly what I said - guessing what the board's intentions are. Let me have a guess - it'll be something about buying low cost players and surviving in the premier league.

Lerner bought the club and he and Mon clearly raised expectations …. Lambert was bought in and his clear remit was to lower expectations. The period between Mon and Lambert was chaotic and farcical. There is only one constant in this period and that is Randy Lerner. Lambert is doing an almost impossible job to the best of his ability, if Randy finally demonstrates that he now understands the financial requirements of a "proper" Premiership squad, then maybe things will improve. Has Lerner learned from his mistakes? I wouldn't bet on it.

What I want to know is how the squad will be "totally unrecognisable" in 12 months, then in 24 months "even more so".  I am literally dying trying to understand how you can be more than totally unrecognisable.  Literally dying.

Risso - I am just trying to say we will improve if we keep building the team. This includes the players we have now improving and some being replaced with better players.

All of my optimistic forecasts are on the premise that Lambert will be allowed to spend his budget on quality instead of quantity now.

I realised that, I was just being a pedantic clearing in the woods!  My use of 'literally' was just a crap attempt at humour.

• Like 3

We aren't going to be able to compete financially with the top half of the league and just because we are Aston Villa and have a proud history does not mean that we deserve anything better. People need to grow up and stop thinking that its their right to demand the club perform to their expectations while blindly ignoring all constraints that the club has. Unless you have the 200m to buy the club plus the funds to maintain a top 8 club for 10/15/20 years to come then cut the sh$t and get realistic.

We are buying players for 800K and they are expected to be world beaters? This is going to be a slow progression from ridding the club of the financial mess it was into becoming a stable top half side. We tried to cash splash route and it almost relegated us.

People crap on about not wanting to give Lambert any more money as if he has just blown in all on dross. Who else do you think could have purchased players for the prices we have payed and kept us ticking over? Maybe Martinez would be a shout but thats about it. Do you honestly think Lambert isnt as frustrated as the rest of us with the inability of the team to play consistently? He gives nothing away in interviews win or lose and most managers in the PL do the same and every remark they make has the potential of getting turned into a media storm. Do you really think a man who changes formation multiple times per match has the only tactic of "kick it to benteke"? Things are nowhere near as simple as people make out.

Majority of villa fans need to grow up. There are people on twitter calling for Hoddle to be put in charge and to bring back bent and ireland into the fold. Talk about moronic.

We need time as a club to find our feet and Lambert is giving us that. If we have made no progession by the end of next season then i will concede he isn't the right man for the job and should move on but i will be thankful for his work getting us through the last couple of years including relegation battles and wage bill clear outs. Not many managers come through these things well and to me he is doing a pretty good job (except the stoke game - f**k stoke).

| sed s/^Majority/Vocal\ minority/

I realised that, I was just being a pedantic clearing in the woods!  My use of 'literally' was just a crap attempt at humour.

I actually thought you were Jamie Redknapp posting on here ;)

I think we can soon start moving to phase 2 of the Lambert Project.

It's all about adding quality now over quantity & starting to put some real flesh on the bones.

It will still take time though to come fully to fruition & this is why fans will still need to be patient.

Let's see where we are in 3 years time if the whole Club can hold our nerve & stick with it.

I think we can soon start moving to phase 2 of the Lambert Project.

It's all about adding quality now over quantity & starting to put some real flesh on the bones.

It will still take time though to come fully to fruition & this is why fans will still need to be patient.

Let's see where we are in 3 years time if the whole Club can hold our nerve & stick with it.

What worries me is that Lambert said we needed premiership experience in January so he signs Grant Holt?........Joke!!!

I just hope we look at clubs like Chelsea and City as they look to reduce their squad size and hence wage bill ready for FFP. Some of their players would fit in nicely. OT a bit but read last night that Chelsea have 28 players out on loan Crikey!

I agree DelboyVilla - Chelsea, Man City & teams like Man Utd, Spurs & Arsenal have some really rich pickings if we are judicious in our approach.

Yeah agreed.

Many of them are on inflated egos and wages so the risk is always that you end up like QPR with a bunch of players who doesn't really care.

But there are deals to be had at those clubs, i just doubt we have the people to spot them at the club

What worries me is that Lambert said we needed premiership experience in January so he signs Grant Holt?........Joke!!!

You mean he said we needed Premiership experience and brought in a player (on loan, by the way) with... Premiership experience?

Paul Lambert, you liar!

• Like 3

You mean he said we needed Premiership experience and brought in a player (on loan, by the way) with... Premiership experience?

Paul Lambert, you liar!

Holt is just old, Ross Barkley has as much PL experience as Holt

Edit: Well not really, but Holt has very limited PL experience

Edited by sne

Paul Lambert, you liar!

He could have signed Mick Quinn in that case.  In fact, there probably wouldn't be a lot to choose between the two.

• Like 1

Paul Lambert, you liar!

He could have signed Mick Quinn in that case.  In fact, there probably wouldn't be a lot to choose between the two.

Yes, he could have - and he still wouldn't have lied.

Yes, experience means nothing if you aren't actually good enough to play at this level and Grant Holt wasn't even deemed to have the required fitness levels for the Championship by Uwe Rösler.

Â