Paul Lambert

limpid

I still don't think this injury would be an excuse for finishing below the 40-point mark myself.

Not this one, but the injuries as a whole. I honestly can't remember the last time we had this many important players get such bad injuries.

McLeish season?

seem to remeber Houllier had a dreadful run of injuries too in his season, didnt we lose Young, Downing, Petrov, Reo Coker and Gabby at one point???

Yeah, but the difference there was they were relatively short term. This season we've had 3 important players get 6 month+ injuries.

I still don't think this injury would be an excuse for finishing below the 40-point mark myself.

Not this one, but the injuries as a whole. I honestly can't remember the last time we had this many important players get such bad injuries.

McLeish season?

IIRC rightly Petrov was out from illness from March onwards and Bent out with injury from February onwards but aside from that I can't think of any other major injuries to key players.

This season we've had Benteke out for a few months and unfit for another couple, Kozak out for half a season and Okore out for practically the whole season. N'Zogbia isn't too important but he's been out all season as well.

Dunne missed most of the run-in as well. Obviously it's not exactly like-for-like but it is relatively comparible in the context of the season.

Another excuse ready for him.

Come off it. It's got **** all to do with "excuses" - long term injuries to key players will have a negative affect on any team.

Edited by Mantis

How does he remould the team in Benteke's absence?

I'm not talking this season as for me as long as we get two draws it's over but more the three months next season he won't be playing and we will need wins and points to prevent our annual relegation battle.

For me two creative midfielders are essential to plug the gap but can Lambert find them on his 20m budget, without the added bonus of Benteke's transfer fee.

If you look at what he came up creative wise last summer it was Helenius and Tonev so forgive me if I'm not optimistic at this!

Strange how Lambert didn't mention Benteke's injury in the press conference. What was he expecting to achieve? On WM tonight they played a clip of him talking up Benteke and saying "This is the best place for him". Why did he not come out when asked and say he was injured and was having a scan to confirm the extent of it?

Just don't understand keeping it under wraps. Strange.

Strange how Lambert didn't mention Benteke's injury in the press conference. What was he expecting to achieve? On WM tonight they played a clip of him talking up Benteke and saying "This is the best place for him". Why did he not come out when asked and say he was injured and was having a scan to confirm the extent of it?

Just don't understand keeping it under wraps. Strange.

I failed to see the logic in this also.

Its a blow Benteke being out but he has hardly been pulling up any trees for much of this season. In fact bar the odd games Benteke, Weimann and Gabby have been way under the level they produced in the final third of last season.

At the end of the day injuries/suspensions are a part of football and we just have to get on with it. Gabby, Weimann, Holt, Helenius one will need to step up to the plate or perhaps the manager needs to get the best out of all of them to ensure we get the goals needed to secure our safety at the very least. We know Gabby is certainly capable of hitting a purple patch and bagging 3 or 4 vital goals.

I doubt any will use this injury as an excuse if we don't secure the points to push us up to last seasons total. We have only secured just over a point a game all season and before this injury were simply treading water and I am sure that will continue to be the case. The sooner this season is over the better. All too familiar tale with us as I can remember saying the same thing for 4 years now.

• Like 2

Its a blow Benteke being out but he has hardly been pulling up any trees for much of this season. In fact bar the odd games Benteke, Weimann and Gabby have been way under the level they produced in the final third of last season.

At the end of the day injuries/suspensions are a part of football and we just have to get on with it. Gabby, Weimann, Holt, Helenius one will need to step up to the plate or perhaps the manager needs to get the best out of all of them to ensure we get the goals needed to secure our safety at the very least. We know Gabby is certainly capable of hitting a purple patch and bagging 3 or 4 vital goals.

I doubt any will use this injury as an excuse if we don't secure the points to push us up to last seasons total. We have only secured just over a point a game all season and before this injury were simply treading water and I am sure that will continue to be the case. The sooner this season is over the better. All too familiar tale with us as I can remember saying the same thing for 4 years now.

spot on my little beauty....as jim royle would say.

I hope Randy, does a PR stunt like the flags.....but this time give us all a "rabbits foot" as we go thru the turnstiles, that would be a nice touch, before seasons end. 

• Like 1

I doubt any will use this injury as an excuse if we don't secure the points to push us up to last seasons total

I'll be very surprised if some don't.

I've seen some on here make excuses for far worse so it is almost guarenteed you'd think.

I doubt any will use this injury as an excuse if we don't secure the points to push us up to last seasons total

I'll be very surprised if some don't.

I'll be even more surprised if they are not jumped on for using it.

I'm not exactly pro-Lambert - too many concerns for me - but I can admit that losing (arguably) your best player would have a big effect on any side. Consider Liverplop without Suarez, ManUre without Rooney or spuds without Bale......

... wait. Scrap the spuds one ;-)

• Like 1

Â