Paul Lambert

limpid

I think Lambert has a problem getting the whole team to hit consistency at the same time. You can see areas where he's tried to work on, but then he lets other issues pass him by. He might get another season, but Lerner may be backed into a corner if there are'nt significant signs of improvement.

I think Lambert has a problem getting the whole team to hit consistency at the same time. You can see areas where he's tried to work on, but then he lets other issues pass him by. He might get another season, but Lerner may be backed into a corner if there are'nt significant signs of improvement.

Nonsense. When has Lerner done anything as a result of "fan pressure?"

he hired McLeish, the fans choice for manager ;)

You mean other than cancel a meeting with Steve McLaren.

Do you really think a man who changes formation multiple times per match has the only tactic of "kick it to benteke"? Things are nowhere near as simple as people make out.

I'm calling what I see. 90% of game time this season, then plan has been...nothing. 

No plan, not a sausage; the players panic and kick it long to whoever. Why has this not been addressed? It's been happening since August.

I was 100% behind Lambert coming in and stuck with him the whole of last season, but this time round has been even worse for me because the belief that we might continue the impressive end of last season form gave me hope. The football has been dire.

It's too short term to just look at the position in the league (Houllier finished 9th!) or points tally for me. Yes, it's very important, but the quality of football has to be high on the list of priorities as well so you can look at a game and say, well if we play like that again, we'll win more than we lose. We've had some tough losses this season, but we've had some crazy lucky wins that have come out of the blue.

A side like ours don't have a player like Bale or Suarez to carry us single handedly, so we need to look at the team as a whole and see what we can do to arrive at a style of play that will lend itself to controlling games a bit more and not clinging onto a draw or failing to break down teams that are there for the taking.

Lambo has done well to bring the wage bill down and keep us in the league, but if there's a viable option of manager to bring in the Summer, I wouldn't be too sorry to see him go. He has completed his task of bringing down the wages and making sure we don't go down, cheers.

Next season, I really really really don't want to be staying up because there are so many other bad teams in the league.

• Like 2

I'm calling what I see. 90% of game time this season, then plan has been...nothing. 

No plan, not a sausage; the players panic and kick it long to whoever. Why has this not been addressed? It's been happening since August.

You can't honestly believe that. PL is such an incredible con artist that he's stealing a living as a professional manager without so much as even giving a vague game plan.

You're thinking of Tim Sherwood.

Why has the booting not been addressed? It's been happening since August. What is the game plan?

It must concern Lambert that if he has been trying to get them to play a certain way, all they still do is boot it? Why are they not carrying out his instructions? He even got Grant Holt in to get more 'proper men' in the dressing room.

Tim, what a joker :lol:

Edited by Tomaszk

That may be true, but we certainly regressed back to that style for the game against Stoke the other week. I get intensely frustrated watching us play, but that game was the worst I've seen for a long time. I couldn't believe that no one, not Lambert nor any player on the pitch, was trying something different.

Lambert has had a tough time of it and even though he wasn't my choice when he came in, I'm a believer of giving the manager a chance. Unfortunately he hasn't done enough to assuage my concerns I had when he came in that he had very little tactical prowess about him. It hasn't all been bad, but too often I've seen him make bizarre decisions, whether that's to bring Grant Holt onto the pitch or into the club at all. Some of his choices have just made absolutely no sense at all.

Part of me wants to give him more time but I'm not sure if that stems from the fact that I feel we need some stability or that we couldn't get anyone better in or that the thought of Lerner and Faulker leading another managerial appointment scares me. There are some people I think who could (not would, necessarily, but could) do a better job, like Steve Clark for example, but I think that unless this period of austerity eases off or Lerner sells us, then Lambert is pretty much the calibre of manager that we can expect to attract.

The one thing I am sure of is that something needs to change in the upper echelons of the Villa hierarchy or we're going to be flirting with relegation to some extent every season. We have improved a little this season, and hopefully we can kick on from there, but there's a part of me that is concerned that this season has been less so about our improvement and more about the fact that there have just been worse teams than previous season's propping up the table.

Apologies, I wasn't clear. I simply meant rather than spending small amounts on many players to build up our squad, I now hope we can spend more money on a couple of players here and there to improve the quality in certain positions.

Good post Ginko.

I don't think that Steve Clarke is an obviously better manager (and you don't seem to either), but that's probably the sort of alternative candidate we'd be looking at.

Unlike you, I can see why PL brought Holt in (as backup), but I'm equally frustrated that he's been given time on the pitch with seemingly better options available from the bench.

This summer will be a huge indication of where we are going as a club.  The wages are under control.  We have a squad to build from. If Lambert is not given money or we carry on buying similar types of players then you can forget us becoming a top 8 club for a while yet.

You make a good point about Holt, CF, and he probably thought it'd be good to have some more experience in the dressing room, even if not out on the pitch, but I still would have preferred that he didn't bother. Hindsight is a wonderful thing, of course, but he hasn't exactly justified his being here. He hasn't made waves on the pitch and we haven't greatly improved our mentality whilst he's been here either.

I think Steve Clarke did a good job at the Baggies, personally, and had them playing some good football. I'm not saying he'd necessarily work out here as I think there are bigger issues at the top of the Villa hierarchy, but as you say, he's a realistic alternative.

Edited by Ginko

You make a good point about Holt, CF, and he probably thought it'd be good to have some more experience in the dressing room, even if not out on the pitch, but I still would have preferred that he didn't bother. Hindsight is a wonderful thing, of course, but he hasn't exactly justified his being here. He hasn't made waves on the pitch and we haven't greatly improved our mentality whilst he's been here either.

I think Steve Clarke did a good job at the Baggies, personally, and had them playing some good football. I'm not saying he'd necessarily work out here as I think there are bigger issues at the top of the Villa hierarchy, but as you say, he's a realistic alternative.

I bet he made a few in the pool though.

Did I just see the Daily Mail quoted as 'evidence' to show we tried signing Defoe?

I'm done with this thread, what a load of bollocks.

No, you clearly missed the entire context of my post where I am saying the opposite. Which should've been quite obvious by the fact there were quotation marks around the word 'evidence'.

So we just take your word as gospel in other words? I don't think so - you carry on picking and choosing.

Nothing to do with picking and choosing mate. A transfer rumour in one article claiming a bid might be made isn't evidence to therefore believe an actual bid was made and offer presented to the player as you have claimed.

Edited by Isa
  • Like 1

Lambo has done well to bring the wage bill down and keep us in the league, but if there's a viable option of manager to bring in the Summer, I wouldn't be too sorry to see him go. He has completed his task of bringing down the wages and making sure we don't go down, cheers.

Next season, I really really really don't want to be staying up because there are so many other bad teams in the league.

I don't understand this way of thinking at all.  He's essentially done the first part of his job - get rid of high earners, bring in a new squad.  Why shouldn't he be given the chance to build on this?  It all depends on the summer (because we really need some quality now) of course, but Lambert has until the end of next season for me.

I can't get my head around why people would want to remove a manager that hasn't spectacularly failed after only 2 seasons.  Short term upheaval works for about 2% of teams - the rest get shafted (Fulham, Cardiff, West Brom, Sunderland have all done it and are the bottom 4 sides).

• Like 2

I personally don't care what division Villa are in, I don't care who plays for us and I don't care who manages us. I have no delusions of grandeur, and to me, born in 1982, our European Cup win is about as relevent as 1966 and all that. We are not an especially big club, we are not a key player in the League or in Europe. We have no right to be. I find the arguement that we are the "7th most successful club in England" laughable when most of those titles were won before most homes had running water, indoor toilets and electricity.

What I do care about is:

a) Effort - that the players are killing themselves everyweek to achieve the best results possible. 

b ) Entertainment - I'd rather watch decent exciting attacking football than the current "Homer Simpson" approach. The club should have an identity and ethos that "this is the way do things" and that has been lacking for years

The trouble for me is Lambert is failing on both of those objectives for me. The football is dire and not everyone appears to be putting the effort in.

I accept that may be as a result of Lambert not having the ££ to fully develop his vision but if thats the case, he should be investing what funds he does have far more carefully than he is at present.

Edited by Eames
  • Like 1

Â