Tom Fox

Cracker1234

Villa confirms Tom Fox as new chief executive officer

Does " Villa confirms" sound wrong to anyone else, shouldn't it be "Villa confirm"?

Aston Villa is pleased to announce the appointment of Tom Fox as chief executive.

Tom's background in the broader sports industry, as well as his past five years as Chief Commercial Officer at Arsenal, makes him an ideal fit to lead Villa in the increasingly competitive environment of the Barclays Premier League.

Chairman Randy Lerner said: "I was delighted and even flattered by Tom's interest in the Villa job. His achievements at Arsenal speak for themselves and, above all, his reputation as a leader and team builder makes him, to my mind, a great fit to take our club forward."

Chief Financial Officer Robin Russell said: "I have got to know Tom over five years of Premier League meetings and have come to respect his professionalism and industry knowledge. I am looking forward to working with him."

Tom has built an extensive and hugely impressive résumé in the sports-marketing industry over more than 25 years.

In addition to opening the NBA's first office in Asia as the Managing Director, Tom has also headed up Sports Marketing for Nike in both Asia and the US and held the same role for PepsiCo's Gatorade brand before he joined Arsenal in 2009.

"First of all I would be remiss not to thank everyone at the Arsenal for all their support over the past five years. I consider it a huge privilege to have represented the club and to have helped move it forward," he said.

"Aston Villa has always been an important club in English football and it has a long and rich history of success at the top of the game.

"The chance to work with Randy, Paul Lambert and Robin to help restore the Club to its rightful place in the Premier League is a challenge I'm really energised by and greatly looking forward to."

Actually "Villa confirms" is correct - although I must admit it sounds slightly odd.  The logic is that Villa and businesses in general are singular i.e. there is only one Aston Villa rather than multiple of them.  On that basis "it (i.e. Villa) confirms" is correct - the alternative would be "They (Villa) confirm" which is wrong because "they" means multiple of them - as we know there is only ONE VILLA!  Sorry to sound pious but I know this because years ago my old boss corrected a document I'd written and used "They" instead of "It" when referring to a specific company.

Another example of incorrect use might be "BCFC are shit" when correctly it should read "BCFC is shit".

Shouldn't that be "BCFC who the f**k are they who cares and who gives a f**king shit" to five them thier full title - Just saying :D

• Like 1

Actually "Villa confirms" is correct - although I must admit it sounds slightly odd.  The logic is that Villa and businesses in general are singular i.e. there is only one Aston Villa rather than multiple of them.  On that basis "it (i.e. Villa) confirms" is correct - the alternative would be "They (Villa) confirm" which is wrong because "they" means multiple of them - as we know there is only ONE VILLA!  Sorry to sound pious but I know this because years ago my old boss corrected a document I'd written and used "They" instead of "It" when referring to a specific company.

Another example of incorrect use might be "BCFC are shit" when correctly it should read "BCFC is shit".

Shouldn't that be "BCFC who the f**k are they who cares and who gives a f**king shit" to five them thier full title - Just saying :D

No, it should be "BCFC, what the **** is that, who cares and who gives a **** shit" ;)

• Like 1

Does " Villa confirms" sound wrong to anyone else, shouldn't it be "Villa confirm"?

Aston Villa is pleased to announce the appointment of Tom Fox as chief executive.

Tom's background in the broader sports industry, as well as his past five years as Chief Commercial Officer at Arsenal, makes him an ideal fit to lead Villa in the increasingly competitive environment of the Barclays Premier League.

Chairman Randy Lerner said: "I was delighted and even flattered by Tom's interest in the Villa job. His achievements at Arsenal speak for themselves and, above all, his reputation as a leader and team builder makes him, to my mind, a great fit to take our club forward."

Chief Financial Officer Robin Russell said: "I have got to know Tom over five years of Premier League meetings and have come to respect his professionalism and industry knowledge. I am looking forward to working with him."

Tom has built an extensive and hugely impressive résumé in the sports-marketing industry over more than 25 years.

In addition to opening the NBA's first office in Asia as the Managing Director, Tom has also headed up Sports Marketing for Nike in both Asia and the US and held the same role for PepsiCo's Gatorade brand before he joined Arsenal in 2009.

"First of all I would be remiss not to thank everyone at the Arsenal for all their support over the past five years. I consider it a huge privilege to have represented the club and to have helped move it forward," he said.

"Aston Villa has always been an important club in English football and it has a long and rich history of success at the top of the game.

"The chance to work with Randy, Paul Lambert and Robin to help restore the Club to its rightful place in the Premier League is a challenge I'm really energised by and greatly looking forward to."

There is a difference between British english and US english on this. 

The Americans refer to teams as a plural but in the UK a team is a singular.

• Like 1

No, it should be "BCFC, what the **** is that, who cares and who gives a **** shit" ;)

Actually you are both wrong.

It should be sha,  not bcfc.

I think the Club is singular but the Team is plural (or should that be are plural).

So:

Aston Villa has appointed Tom Fox as CEO

Since Aston Villa appointed Tom Fox as CEO and he introduced all sorts of brilliant commercial policies and signed loads of top players, the team have done much better.

• Like 2

I have a feeling having worked in marketing myself, this is the type of guy who properly thrives on succeeding not just a yes man like faulkner, and looking at his past credentials and the fact he applied for the job not got approached, I think he really has some mental plan in mind to turn this club into something, primarily to show off his own ability, which if it allows us to progress and have more money to spend I'm happy for him to do it.

• Like 1

I think the Club is singular but the Team is plural (or should that be are plural).

So:

Aston Villa has appointed Tom Fox as CEO

Since Aston Villa appointed Tom Fox as CEO and he introduced all sorts of brilliant commercial policies and signed loads of top players, the team have done much better.

No, it's what he said. Check the newspaper reports on this, they all say "Aston Villa are" as opposed to "Aston Villa is".

Edit: the British newspaper reports, of course.

Edited by stwefano

I don't understand

What have you guys got against Bristol City?

• Like 1

Actually you are both wrong.

It should be sha,  not bcfc.

Sorry - My Bad - how could I forget!

If Randy's giving contracts out to Fox and Keane why not give Lambert an extension too.

Maybe he thinks he doesn't deserve one? I'd be inclined to agree.

I presume Keane has signed on for longer than a year. Just seems strange to me that his assistant who is meant to be Lambert's pick is contracted to the club for a longer period. Maybe sorting out an extension for Lambert is something Fox will be looking into.

Edited by useless

I don't understand

What have you guys got against Bristol City?

Nothing but the poor sods have the same initials as the inbreds and neanderthals from Small Heath!

• Like 1

Â