Tom Fox

Cracker1234

If Randy's giving contracts out to Fox and Keane why not give Lambert an extension too.

Maybe he thinks he doesn't deserve one? I'd be inclined to agree.

I presume Keane has signed on for longer than a year. Just seems strange to me that his assistant who is meant to be Lambert's pick is contracted to the club for a longer period. Maybe sorting out an extension for Lambert is something Fox will be looking into.

Maybe he's contracted for a year, maybe more. Either way, it's not like contracts mean much other than how much of a payoff the person contracted will get. If Keane has a two year contract then if Lambert goes next year he'll just get a chunk of money.

• Like 1

If Lambert does well we could be in a sticky situation when it comes to the end of his contract. Interesting that one of the things Fox keeps mentioning as being important for attracting new customers is style of football.

If Lambert does well we could be in a sticky situation when it comes to the end of his contract. Interesting that one of the things Fox keeps mentioning as being important for attracting new customers is style of football.

If a manager wants to go then he will go regardless.

it's just a case of giving them a long contract, and eventually paying them off or giving them a long contract and getting compensation.

We haven't got compensation for a manager since about 1903 so Martin O'Neill rolling contracts all round :).

• Like 1

Villa confirms Tom Fox as new chief executive officer

Does " Villa confirms" sound wrong to anyone else, shouldn't it be "Villa confirm"?

Aston Villa is pleased to announce the appointment of Tom Fox as chief executive.

Tom's background in the broader sports industry, as well as his past five years as Chief Commercial Officer at Arsenal, makes him an ideal fit to lead Villa in the increasingly competitive environment of the Barclays Premier League.

Chairman Randy Lerner said: "I was delighted and even flattered by Tom's interest in the Villa job. His achievements at Arsenal speak for themselves and, above all, his reputation as a leader and team builder makes him, to my mind, a great fit to take our club forward."

Chief Financial Officer Robin Russell said: "I have got to know Tom over five years of Premier League meetings and have come to respect his professionalism and industry knowledge. I am looking forward to working with him."

Tom has built an extensive and hugely impressive résumé in the sports-marketing industry over more than 25 years.

In addition to opening the NBA's first office in Asia as the Managing Director, Tom has also headed up Sports Marketing for Nike in both Asia and the US and held the same role for PepsiCo's Gatorade brand before he joined Arsenal in 2009.

"First of all I would be remiss not to thank everyone at the Arsenal for all their support over the past five years. I consider it a huge privilege to have represented the club and to have helped move it forward," he said.

"Aston Villa has always been an important club in English football and it has a long and rich history of success at the top of the game.

"The chance to work with Randy, Paul Lambert and Robin to help restore the Club to its rightful place in the Premier League is a challenge I'm really energised by and greatly looking forward to."

Actually "Villa confirms" is correct - although I must admit it sounds slightly odd.  The logic is that Villa and businesses in general are singular i.e. there is only one Aston Villa rather than multiple of them.  On that basis "it (i.e. Villa) confirms" is correct - the alternative would be "They (Villa) confirm" which is wrong because "they" means multiple of them - as we know there is only ONE VILLA!  Sorry to sound pious but I know this because years ago my old boss corrected a document I'd written and used "They" instead of "It" when referring to a specific company.

Another example of incorrect use might be "BCFC are shit" when correctly it should read "BCFC is shit".

There is a difference between British english and US english on this. 

The Americans refer to teams as a plural but in the UK a team is a singular.

I love the Miami Heats!

Is Tom Fox the person who will now make decisions on manager's future and transfers?

Its not cut and dried - but I would guess he would have a pretty big say in who our next manager is - and I imagine the manager will report to him 

I think its great that we have got someone with a great reputation in the sporting world, all be it on the finance side. He seems to be renowned for his knowledge as much as his Puma deal.

Ive literally got no idea what impact this will have on us. We are not going to suddenly have loads of money to spend or get a load of new sponsors. Its not going to make our team better right now. 

Cant even tell if it will mean we will be more organised as a football club in terms of structure, signings or appointments. Obviously we just hope that with his respected reputation we are going to turn into some sort of wonderkid signing, financially prolific, self sustaining monster. Its just good to be rid of someone that we considered to be part of the problem in the decline of Aston Villa over the last 4 years.

Disapointed in some respects s it still leaves a gap for a football man on the board. We have had top commercial men in before who left (due to MON) so not that surprising a call.

But when will he actually start? Have Arse let him gon immediately, does he work for them for a while, does he have to have a period of 'gardening leave' is there any restriction in what he can do and with whom due to his Arsenal work?

Lots of unanswered ? for me and I don't expect many answers given AVFC track record

It could be high on his list of priorities. It's really important after all in terms of marketing, just like any company's insignia is important. If he thinks it's lacking in any way I doubt he waste any time setting out to improve it.

It could be high on his list of priorities. It's really important after all in terms of marketing, just like any company's insignia is important. If he thinks it's lacking in any way I doubt he waste any time setting out to improve it.

And if he does whatever he comes up with will cause the same splits.

There is only one badge for AVFC and thats the original one displayed on the old Trinity Road - but there are those that think the round one is the only one - divide?

• Like 2

Â