Tom Fox

Cracker1234

This just doesn't seem like the kind of appointment the Randy Lerner of the last few years could make.

Apart from this bloke isn’t from football background... like PF.

Is more financial... like PF

Did some good deals at Arsenal... Like PF did at Villa.

In black and white the only difference is he comes from a football club, whilst originally PF didn’t.

Yet PF was the worse CEO and was absolute shite according to most Villa fans.

Edited by VillaForever1970
  • Like 1

Lol. Just been banned from TBAR for agreeing with Omariqy's sharing of trent's opinion. No sware words no insults just that I agree. Did you get banned too omar?

Nope?

Must just be banning people who question the integrity of their ITK then. That site will be TBAR who this time next year.

This just doesn't seem like the kind of appointment the Randy Lerner of the last few years could make.

In black and white the only difference is he comes from a football club, whilst originally PF didn’t.

This guy also has a strong background in the sports industry and actually worked for Wasserman, which is an agency that employs many of football's agents. Not quite the guy who has a Masters in History and worked a few years in customer service at MBNA. But hey, that's just my take. 

• Like 2

Faulkner came from MBNA, Fox comes from Arsenal. Arsenal are not just any old football club, they are one of the best clubs in the world. He has been there and not only done it, but has been a huge success. I don't understand how anyone can fail to see the differences between this appointment and that of Paul Faulkner.

Not only does he come Arsenal, but his entire career has been based around sports and marketing. 

• Like 1

Well we will see won't we if Fox comes in and improves on the deals that Faulkner got?

Faulkner came from MBNA, Fox comes from Arsenal. Arsenal are not just any old football club, they are one of the best clubs in the world. He has been there and not only done it, but has been a huge success. I don't understand how anyone can fail to see the differences between this appointment and that of Paul Faulkner.

Absolutely. Fox has also worked for other global brands in senior positions. I personally think is an excellent appointment and will only enhance our takeover prospects.

Edited by GENTLEMAN
  • Like 1

I kind of see where you are coming from and to an extent I agree on your first couple of lines but not the rest of your post.

The two are poles apart in terms of their commercial experience and experience within both football and sporting commercial contracts.

At the time Faulkner was appointed he really had very little if any experience to justify his appointment, he was basically a customer services manager from MBNA who got the job seemingly because he was on good terms with Lerner.

Now at times I think Faulkner was treated harshly by the fans, probably myself included but he also had a hand (how much we will probably never know) in what was frankly the stupidest managerial appointment in the living memory of Villa fans.

Anyway, I don't want to take this thread into a rehash of events gone bye but I really don't think the CV's of Fox and Faulkner are in any way comparable. 

Though inexperienced in the CEO role there so was Faulkner even with time served here, Fox to me looks far better suited.

Why would he be worried about losing his job under new owners? I'm sure he'd get a very generous payout and with a CV like his I'm sure he wouldn't remain unemployed for long!

I wonder whether now the financial guy has come in, done his work, put the club on a more solid financial footing, that its now time to look at someone who is generally a bit more savvy in terms of footballing matters. 

Having said that i don't know what Fox's specific duties were at Arsenal so I'm not really convincing myself there though but just a thought.

As other have done, I do wonder why someone who was in a fairly high profile position at Arsenal would come to a club in turmoil and in the throes of a potential sale making his move potentially short term! 

is there somethign we don't know in terms of a sale?  Even if we were being taken off the market in terms of actively seeking a buyer, I assume RL would still leave himself open to offers that come in and so even that would potentially leave Fox exposed if a buyer did come calling any time soon.

Could it be money talking, the prestige of the CEO position (for however long) or are things happening in the background that we just don't know about yet?

Why would he be worried about losing his job under new owners? I'm sure he'd get a very generous payout and with a CV like his I'm sure he wouldn't remain unemployed for long!

Exactly he will see this as a massive job and lets be honest theres only so much more you can do as a commercial officer.

Exactly he will see this as a massive job and lets be honest theres only so much more you can do as a commercial officer.

Especially when you've signed a number of long term contracts for everything which is the position Arsenal are in.

I don't know exactly what a Commercial Officer does but I think he had a pretty big role at Arsenal. It's not as if he's the tea boy who's suddenly been offered the chance to run Aston Villa. It was mentioned elsewhere that he was on 500k a year which would be I think I'm right in saying almost double what Faulkner used to get paid when he was our CEO.

Out of interest, why do people think he would leave Arsenal for a club with a degree of uncertainty about it? Due to the offer of a larger role?

Seems like a good appointment though. 

We see these kinds of move all the time in business, just like a general manager at Volkswagen may take the CEO position at Alfa Romeo for example.

He's been at Arsenal for 5 years now and has accomplished a lot. Coming here is a personal promotion, most likely in pay and responsibilities, even if the company is smaller. The opportunity to make his mark here is also far greater than at Arsenal.

Fail to deliver then it's because we're a club in transition and the job's a poisoned chalice. Make a difference and his reputation in the industry is further enhanced, so it's win / win.

• Like 1

Â