Tom Fox

Cracker1234

Assuming he's on a 7-figure salary, if he can generate more income for the club it makes us a far more enticing prospect to any new owner, not only in the P&L sheets but also if that income is put toward a better performing team.

Marketing has always been an achilles heel of the club. Living overseas many fairweather fans would struggle to tell you which city the Villa are based in, let alone know about our distant pedigree.

Opening up avenues into the Chinese market could be a huge boost for the club if he's capable. 

This is me speculating but.....

Randy's had a few offers for the club, but well below what he wants. Potential buyers have looked under the hood and seen that he's financed the club for the last 8 years and that the club does not finance itself, a major drawback and potentially why prospective owners have bid low as they know that whatever they buy the club, they will also have to chuck in a fair amount just to keep the existing set-up running as we run at a loss. But there's the opportunity to make more from the Villa name, but you've got to prove it to drive more value from from any sale price.

Hire a guy with a proven track record who can bring more revenue quickly by getting a better return from commercial activities. It's a win win - get it right and Randy doesn't have to keep chucking in as much money in the medium term and the club becomes more sell-able as Randy's putting less in, therefore getting a higher valuation when it's sold.

If it works, this could be a very cheap way for Randy to get a higher valuation - but it does suggest he's taking a more medium term view and the club won't be sold in the short term. I've seen this happen before when a 'selling' company hires a commercial guy to increase sales quickly to drive up the valuation of a company over 12-18 month period.

Either that or he's the guy the new owners want in charge.....

Pure speculation on my part, but wanted to share my views.

We don't make losses anymore

I hope he coins the phrase "Aston Villa, the old lady of England"

Juve have lived and gained popularity from being the "old lady of turin" for years :lol:

Most non Juve fans call them an old something else though ;)

• Like 1

Yeah. Except you are saying. You're postulating in the very post above that money was the motivating factor.

From his CV, and the interview posted in this very thread, does he seem like "that guy" to you?

I said "who knows" which means I was suggesting it as a possibility. A CEO is obviously a step up from a COO but I think it's fair to consider that there still would be a financial incentive to persuade him to make the move. Not that there is anything wrong with that.

I hope he coins the phrase "Aston Villa, the old lady of England"

Juve have lived and gained popularity from being the "old lady of turin" for years :lol:

Describes the football at VP over the past few years perfectly.

Man United have got commercial partners for stuff like savoury snacks, motorbikes, telecommunication services and home and office equipment without ever renaming their stadium. The more sponsors the merrier but can we please keep Villa Park's name. Pleeeeeeeaaaaaaaase.

Man United have got commercial partners for stuff like savoury snacks, motorbikes, telecommunication services and home and office equipment without ever renaming their stadium. The more sponsors the merrier but can we please keep Villa Park's name. Pleeeeeeeaaaaaaaase.

B/R: When it comes to something like the stadium naming rights, is maintaining consistency ever a consideration?

TF: Our broader partnership strategy is about finding the right partners who believe in what we do and where we’re going and who want to be a part of that in the long term. We choose our partners very carefully. Our goal is not just to create one lucrative contract and then end the relationship. Our goal is to build that relationship’s strength over time, so that our partners are so satisfied that they renew the deal. 

When it comes specifically to the naming rights relationship, I think it’s a really difficult decision to take a stadium where you play and put a sponsor’s name on it. We took it very seriously at the time. Because our stadium is a new build, and has always been known as the ‘Emirates Stadium’, I think it makes all the sense in the world that the name stays consistent. We’re trying to build a perception around that stadium that it’s home, and I think keeping that name is important.

That is what he said back in May when asked about stadium naming rights.

• Like 2

B/R: When it comes to something like the stadium naming rights, is maintaining consistency ever a consideration?

TF:  I think it makes all the sense in the world that the name stays consistent. We’re trying to build a perception around that stadium that it’s home, and I think keeping that name is important.

6KEquvp.gif

Good answer Mr. Fox.

Naming rights for new builds is a much easier proposition. There isn't a historical link. But to be honest most fans would continue to use the proper name anyway and the sponsored name would be left for the media to use. 

Villa Park would always be Villa Park to a fan

Naming rights for new builds is a much easier proposition. There isn't a historical link. But to be honest most fans would continue to use the proper name anyway and the sponsored name would be left for the media to use. 

Villa Park would always be Villa Park to a fan

Yeah but even having the meeja call it something else would make me sad.

Gary Line-Acre: "Off to the Unilever/Aviva/Morrison Supermarkets Arena now where Aston Villa host Everton"

*shudder*

Â