Carlos Sanchez

ArteSuave

He's very good when asked to do the things he's good at and asked to play in the role he's comfortable in.

Sanchez is no complete midfielder, just as Andi & Gabby are not wingers and Richardson is no LB. 

Last season he took too long on the ball, but we don't know what he was asked to do and expected to do in the role he had.

We had no playmaker or creative player next to him to whom he could hand the ball. We also had very bad movement from almost everyone.

As people have stated before, give him a full preseason and balanced midfield and he'll be a very useful player for us.

Hope Tim sees this in him too

Fantastic game from Carlos tonight. This is where he really thrives and has earned his reputation - you ask him to man mark the best guy off the opposition and he is unreal. It simplifies the game for him - still intercepts and distributes, but less second guessing and over thinking - suddenly looks world class. 

Was the same at the WC last summer where he was asked to focus on the '10' of the opposition in each match, and of course, his famous masterclass on Messi at the Copa America 4 years ago. 

For those asking, Colombia usually play 4-2-2-2 under Pekerman.

He was also especially motivated for this game: a mental error on his part (not sensing Thiago Silva free behind him while defender a corner) cost Colombia the qtr finals against Brasil last summer and I am certain he has spent the past year dreaming of a chance to play them again.  

Edited by ryu.yokoi
  • Like 1

He still made the 18 regularly under Sherwood so he's more chance of staying than likes of Gil, Senderos, Lowton, Cissokho.

Don't forget we're one down anyway in central midfield with Cleverley gone so if we had a game tomorrow and needed to play 3 midfielders Sanchez would be playing.

Here's the Tim Vickery article:

http://www.espnfc.co.uk/copa-america/83/blog/post/2496317/colombias-win-down-to-carlos-sanchez-dominating-neymar

• Like 1

He still made the 18 regularly under Sherwood so he's more chance of staying than likes of Gil, Senderos, Lowton, Cissokho.

Don't forget we're one down anyway in central midfield with Cleverley gone so if we had a game tomorrow and needed to play 3 midfielders Sanchez would be playing.

Here's the Tim Vickery article:

http://www.espnfc.co.uk/copa-america/83/blog/post/2496317/colombias-win-down-to-carlos-sanchez-dominating-neymar

That's how I see it too. Maybe he will be sold, I don't think it can be totally ruled out, but I think it's unlikely. The clearest indication for me was the Cup Final - why give a defensive midfielder a pointless runout for twenty minutes at three nil down if you don't like the guy?

• Like 1

He played exceptional in that game but as with Vlaar we have only seen glimpses of this form in a Villa shirt.

Unlike Vlaar though Sanchez is worth keeping imo.

With a good pre-season under his belt he could be the defensive midfield answer we have been looking for, I would much prefer we keep faith with him than I would Westwood or if the rumours regarding Huddlestone are true.

That said he really has to improve on what we saw last season otherwise Sherwood will not give him the chance.

When he wins the ball in that clip, he knows what to do with it.

We have had two managers this season, and a bunch of different type of players in front of him. He seems to dwell on the ball longer for us, probably because he doesn't have that full understanding with players yet as he has been in and out of the side. Hopefully with a full pre season under Sherwood and with a better plan in games and the role of each player/position he will get better.

Its not worth selling him and bringing in Huddlestone. Get a better player next to Sanchez and Delph instead.

Under Lambert the players didn't move, so he dallied. Perhaps under Sherwood they took off a little too quick for him.

He needs an intelligent, consistent out ball.

Huddlestone? Or somebody of that ilk. Somebody who reads the game better, none of our current lot did/do IMO.

If we were to sign Huddlestone, then we'd have three players for one position. Sánchez more likely to be the fall-guy.

Yeah but Huddlestone and Sanchez are different sorts of players. I think Sherwood rates him because he still featured in almost all of our games under him (unlike Gil for example).

• Like 1

Â