Carlos Sanchez

ArteSuave

If he continues his Copa form we should sell him while we can make a decent profit. His game doesnt translate well to the PL.

Who, outside the PL itself, do you think would be be prepared to pay more than 6m euros for a 29 year old DM?

Why not give him a chance with a full pre season, you need to have faith in players instead of shunning them off, we all stuck by petrov when he first started and everyone said he wasn't good enough for the PL

I don't know if that's directed at me, but in fact I'm a supporter of his previous club not his current one! It's just that I was responding to the original point that it's virtually impossible to sell Sanchez for a profit.

FWIW, I don't think it has much to do with pre-season training, even though he wasn't close to being fit when he signed, I don't think Villa often used him in the right position. The guy should be stuck in front of the centre halves in a purely central DM role where he will be highly effective. If that's not the role wanted from a central midfielder he is going to be of a lot less use.

Thats exactly where i see him playing. I too am not sure whether its him or whats around him....I also think the DM's are not fully understood at B6 and that their attributes are different to an attacking Midfielder and are not always appreciated in all quarters.....He does get caught with the ball at times, and misplaces passes,but I have a suspicion the problem is as much players off the ball not reading the game sufficiently or making themselves available.

Surely we saw with Petrov that it takes time for midfielders to get the pace of the PL, Sanchez does have ability.

Only way I'd sell him is if Sherwood commits to playing 4-4-2 for most of next season as he hasn't enough mobility to play in that system. Still playing three in central midfield he'd get plenty of games I'm sure.

Indeed. His problem isn't a physical one, so are people trying to suggest that the English league is too technical for him?

Not too technical but perhaps too fast? 

• Like 1

If he continues his Copa form we should sell him while we can make a decent profit. His game doesnt translate well to the PL.

Who, outside the PL itself, do you think would be be prepared to pay more than 6m euros for a 29 year old DM?
Why not give him a chance with a full pre season, you need to have faith in players instead of shunning them off, we all stuck by petrov when he first started and everyone said he wasn't good enough for the PL

I don't know if that's directed at me, but in fact I'm a supporter of his previous club not his current one! It's just that I was responding to the original point that it's virtually impossible to sell Sanchez for a profit.

FWIW, I don't think it has much to do with pre-season training, even though he wasn't close to being fit when he signed, I don't think Villa often used him in the right position. The guy should be stuck in front of the centre halves in a purely central DM role where he will be highly effective. If that's not the role wanted from a central midfielder he is going to be of a lot less use.

No it wasn't directed at you so please don't take offence, I appreciate your comments and I agree that he should be sat in front of the back 4, that's where I would play him. I'm a firm believer you play a player to his strengths and I reckon he will be a top PL if he is played in that position.

A guy who can effectively mark Messi out of a game can't be all that bad - he did that when Elche nilled Barcelona in 2014 and he did it for Colombia too. That, as you already know, is his strength. As a b2b or creative midfielder there would be better options.

When Carlos Sanchez plays for Colombia he plays in a way that's kind of different from most DM's in modern play. He's a anchor man. Back 8-10 years ago they had more DM's that played that way. Makelele for example. But they've been retraining and changing DM's positions a lot because the game has become much more offensive and less defensive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63WojjZy7QE See video on this position role.

He sits in the hole between the two central defenders. A couple yards up. His game is to mark the opposing teams #10 out of the match and break up play in the center part of last third of the pitch. He intercepts and opens up to the wingbacks who bomb down the side of the pitch to search for holes in the opposing defense. Often when Colombia's on offense he'll sit back as a second center back as a more attack minded CB rushes forward through the middle of the field in a Sergio Ramos type role.

Now it's changed. Most Modern DM's aren't even called DM's anymore. They're called holding midfielders. Their role is to hold up the ball and provide mobility. To assist the CM in controlling the tempo of the match. It's a completely different goal. A completely different role. They are a lot more offensive. A lot more mobile. They have to be much better passers and much better creative players. They almost function as a Regista.

This in general has to do with the evolution of football. It's no longer a game with defensive groups and offensive groups. It's total football, and not in the style that the dutch popularized it. In modernity it mean every player on the pitch is attacking when the team attacks, and every player on the pitch is defending when the team defends.

I'm thinking he wasn't given a clear role by the coach.

I do think he would do much better in a more tactical league like the Italian one that still values technical defenders.

Edited by electronicmaji
  • Like 3

Yes he could but I just see him as a defensive midfield player. He played ok yesterday in a very poor performance by Colombia who failed to progress from the groups stages

Did they?

Messi next isn't it?

Not sure why so many are almost wanting him to fail and want to get shot, there's a good player in there in somewhere, just not fully up to speed and loses concentration, he's got it in him, just no consistency

Deportivo La Coruna are interested in signing him as are Malaga. 

I'd take the money and run. He really struggled with the pace of the game last season and I don't think giving him a pre-season is going to make much of a difference either TBH.

Edited by Supervillan78

We'd be insane to sell him. Literally insane. He is having amazing performances for his nation so that proves that he has the talent. We just need to figure out how to get the best of him here.

Sanchez can turn into a player who could propel this Villa team to better things. The DM spot has been something we have been desperately trying to fill for years. Now it seems like we have the best DM in all of South America and we want to sell?

• Like 2

I can only go on how he plays for Villa and he's been pretty poor so far for us. Now that is probably down to a mix of things including our formation and tactics last season. He's obviously a good player so worth keeping for the time being.

Give him a full preseason and see how he does. If he struggles and doesn't end up featuring much we should still be able to sell him for a good fee in January based on Copa performances and have some cash to strengthen the squad where needed, which has been a rare thing in recent years.

Â