Aly Cissokho

samjp26

1 hour ago, Keyblade said:

Great news

Fixed.

Getting one of the worst crossers of the ball back is hardly great news. He was one of the main reasons why we didn't score a goal for so long. Defensively, only because who we are left with then he's a very slight improvement. Christ almighty though, if he comes back, he needs to be banned from going forward.

If you're expecting to see more wins and goals with Aly back in, his 10% cross ratio might make you think otherwise.

Edited by Spray

3 hours ago, Spray said:

Fixed.

Getting one of the worst crossers of the ball back is hardly great news. He was one of the main reasons why we didn't score a goal for so long. Defensively, only because who we are left with then he's a very slight improvement. Christ almighty though, if he comes back, he needs to be banned from going forward.

If you're expecting to see more wins and goals with Aly back in, his 10% cross ratio might make you think otherwise.

No, I don't know if you're aware of our current situation at LB but scoring goals is the least of our concerns right now. I'm just glad we have an actual LB now who can defend somewhat competently. He may be a pretty bad footballer technically himself, but he is 00's Ashley Cole compared to Richardson.

• Like 3

agreed. he will be an upgrade on Richardson in any case so I'm happy we're recalling him into the team on that basis alone. that he has previous experience with Garde as a player is a positive as well (hopefully).

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Spray said:

Fixed.

Have you not seen whats been happening at left back?. Some fans are never happy

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Nabby said:

Wasn't he quite a good attacking FB under Remi at Lyon 

Either way at least he can defend also he is a bit of a unit so some extra strength in the team will help 

I'd doubt he was any good as an attacking full back given how appalling he is once he crosses the halfway line. He's a upgrade on Richardson/Hutton/Bacuna so at least it's something. Sad day when this counts as good news.

3 hours ago, lexicon said:

Any team that pins their goal hopes on a full back is on a hiding to nothing anyway, his crossing is not going to make or break us. What will have an effect is the fact that he can do some things that Richardson struggles with, like playing football and defending.

Absolutely.

Too many people thought Amavi would be the answer but as the season has progressed we've seen how important natural wingers and defensive full backs are.
I simply don't understand how 5 years down the line we still don't have a starting winger or proper CDM, at least we did buy some full backs.

4 hours ago, Keyblade said:

No, I don't know if you're aware of our current situation at LB but scoring goals is the least of our concerns right now. I'm just glad we have an actual LB now who can defend somewhat competently. He may be a pretty bad footballer technically himself, but he is 00's Ashley Cole compared to Richardson.

"Scoring goals is the least of our concern right now" Do you realize we need to start winning, which involves goals.

3 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Have you not seen whats been happening at left back?. Some fans are never happy

Don't make out like LB is the major reason why we've been poor, that's because we've been toothless pretty much everywhere from GK to ST.

"Some fans are never happy" I think that's due to the fact, some of us don't just embrace average and mediocre. Obviously,  if he comes back into the mix, I'll be hoping for the best.

• Like 3

I wonder how many games he will play before he gets written off for a second time and people shout we should of signed a decent LB in January. I predict 2-3 games unless he has morphed into Roberto Carlos whilst being in the Porto reserves.

Glad to have him back as an option over Richardson. 

We have been that bad that it does seem every player that don't play is better.

seen him in pre-season in Portugal , he was awful.

We have so many that are no better than each other you could pick the team with a hat pin.

I do find it funny, when folk say our managers don't know the best team.

.....Is there one, that does?

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Spray said:

"Scoring goals is the least of our concern right now" Do you realize we need to start winning, which involves goals.

You're missing the point entirely. From the LB position, goals are not our priority. We need our defenders to not be a defensive calamity first and foremost before we worry about how they contribute to our attack. At the moment, Richardson is an unmitigated disaster at both ends. The reasoning is that Cissokho is significantly better than him in one area (the one area that really matters for a defender) and thus would be a massive improvement.

In our precarious position, we can't really be picky and going from effectively 0 LBs to 1 LB is not a bad improvement indeed, especially as a stopgap until Amavi returns. Using Richardson is akin to trying to patch a leak up with a piece of floss.

• Like 1

Â