Aly Cissokho

samjp26

A good solid defender.

As long as we play without wingers, people need to accept that Cissokho won't be playing.

If its any consolation, it doesn't look like Richardson is ever going to tay injury free long enough to have a sustained run in the side.

I judge full-backs primarily on whether they can actually defend. Cissokho is superior defensively to the other left-backs.

Tim Sherwood clearly looks at a bigger picture.

I trust his judgement & have to agree with him on this-Its horses for courses. You pick a side to its strengths and to accommodate that tight midfield 3, you either need 2 wide men who are expected to track back (Weiman & Gabby under Lambert) or 2 full backs who are prepared to bomb forward. I think we look more dangerous with the 2 "playing in the hole" and 2 attacking full backs. We do sacrifice a bit defensively but we gain an awful lot going forward.

Cissokho started the season really well, bombing forward and getting in some good crosses.

Then for some reason he stopped going forward as far or as quickly, probably Lambert telling him and everyone else that he'd get a nosebleed if he crossed the half way line

he has had some very dodgy games where he's looked cumbersome and slow, but he still always looked pretty capable defensively, he can certainly do the same job as Richardson as lets face it Richardson isn't particularly good in the final third so is unlikely to get goals or assists but like Cissokho he can at least keep the ball moving.

But then again Lowton did ok at right back and left back in his few more recent cameos, so no idea why Tim thinks Zog or Richardson are the solution and quoting the fact that Zog played left back (badly) for Newcastle 10 years ago doesn't cut it either.

But this is the way things are, managers do what manager's think is best, look at MON with all the players he bought on stupid wages and hardly every played. Look at Lambert with the bomb squad.

I just hope Tim gets the squad of players he wants and actually gives them all a fair chance and playing time so we don't have any cause to whinge.

I trust his judgement & have to agree with him on this-Its horses for courses. You pick a side to its strengths and to accommodate that tight midfield 3, you either need 2 wide men who are expected to track back (Weiman & Gabby under Lambert) or 2 full backs who are prepared to bomb forward. I think we look more dangerous with the 2 "playing in the hole" and 2 attacking full backs. We do sacrifice a bit defensively but we gain an awful lot going forward.

Ideally you want a full-back that can do both of course but if it's a choice between one or the other then I'll always prioritise defensive solidity in that position. Also, I don't think Richardson is strong offensively. Yes, he bombs forward but unlike Bacuna, no final-third quality. So he doesn't beat Cissokho enough in that department to warrant starting ahead of him in my opinion.

Edited by Isa
  • Like 2

I judge full-backs primarily on whether they can actually defend. Cissokho is superior defensively to the other left-backs.

He's clearly ahead of our other left backs in scoring too with his two early season screamers.

Im not sold on this guy at all!

Every time he gets the ball he panics.  This usually results in him stopping dead and passing short, ruining any momentum of a move. 

Im glad that Sherwood is trying to use a more attack minded player in this role that there will be no room for someone so uncomfortable with the ball.

• Like 2

Ideally you want a full-back that can do both of course but if it's a choice between one or the other then I'll always prioritise defensive solidity in that position. Also, I don't think Richardson is strong offensively. Yes, he bombs forward but unlike Bacuna, no final-third quality. So he doesn't beat Cissokho enough in that department to warrant starting ahead of him in my opinion.

I agree - Sherwood doesn't seem to though, unfortunately.

Thought this guy was really good myself - at one stage he was our most creative player. Don't see how we can improve on him without spending a serious sum - £10m+

He was certainly better than Richardson, Hutton, or Lowton in that position.

I like the lad thought he was pretty decent for us.  For some reason the manager didnt fancy him even before he started,  god knows why but sometimes happens

I think Walcott will be their biggest threat (if picked), Aly would certainly be the best option for trying to contain him, I'm not bothered if he doesn't go further forward than the halfway line.

Â