Star Wars: Disney Era

Ginko

On August 12, 2016 at 03:00, dAVe80 said:

Many Bothans died to bring us this trailer...

Big role (and paycheck) for Forrest Whittaker, after a long career of semi-stardom. He's an actor I either love or hate, so I'll be curious about this one.

Edited by maqroll

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Just saw it this morning, my thoughts:

Spoiler

I was worried it would be full of shit banter with the whole ragtag bunch of misfits thing they advertised, but the only banter is from the robot character and it gets a bit eh but it's okay.

It wasn't as much of a heist film as I was originally hoping for, but it wasn't the total epic war film I expected after seeing the trailers.

The space fights were probably better in TFA but there are some reasonable ones, and they captured the feel of the X wing fighters from ANH pretty well. The ground fighting was quite good.

The CGI characters were obviously CGI but it wasn't totally film breaking. It probably made more sense to have Tarkin in it. They could probably have cut it better so he wasn't so obviously CGI though. Leia was even worse than Tarkin.

I thought they could have probably pushed a bit harder in the first half that Jyn was helping the rebels under duress. That never really got played out well.

There wasn't any character development whatsoever (absolutely none) but it was a one off and everyone died so you'll let that slide.

They probably could have cut Forest Whitaker and the offshoot rebels from the film entirely and done something better with the time.

They got the balance perfectly between making it a Star Wars™ movie and making it it's own thing, separate from the series.

If this is the standard for these non-series star wars stories and they're gonna release something like this every couple of years for the rest of my life I think i'll have a pretty good time. I quite liked it and i'll see it again.

• Like 3

I saw it in IMAX 8am this morning...

first overall comment would be that the film is beautiful and sounded great but the 3D bit of it, space battles included weren't really worth it

Spoiler

I found it a bit strange in that it's so Star Wars-y and yet without the opening and the music and the caption coming up for each location it's got a different feel to it, saw one review say force awakens was great but this tried to be too close to a new hope, personally I'm the opposite, it does tie in a lot and it's not really standalone it's just missing the main players but what it doesn't do is overkill on homage, it works, it's a gap filler, my personal preference is for gap fillers, I don't want young Han Solo, I'd rather have a really dark darth Vader mopping up the Jedi film

as the film...what's her face is fine as jyn, the captain was good, j2so's "brilliance" I think was a mixture of overhyped and given away if you've seen the to spots but he's good, the other 3 are all ok if a little underdeveloped, kro nick was good enough, my main issue with the characters is forest Whittaker, I know his bloke was subject to most of the reshoots (you can tell too) I really didn't like him, his delivery was shit

the CGI at times is ropey, there's a scene with Riz Ahmed where it's piss poor and it's a bad scene that adds nothing, tarkin wasn't great

For me ultimately it's probably a 7/10 film with then 3/4 really cool moments If your a Star Wars fan that probably push it up to an 8, the ending was awesome

• Like 1

Spoiler

I liked it a lot. It was a straight to the point Starwars flick. No buildups and lengthy bios. The involvement of Tarkin is essential in the choosing of the timeline so that CGI is ok. The Leia one certainly wasn't. The shot from behind with the hood up would have been enough. Now she looked like she was lifted in straight from Tintin. Horrible.

That said, it was a perfect tie (<->) in to ANH and they did a great job at it. The final sequence minus Leia was superb.

Edited by Tegis
  • Like 1

On 11/12/2016 at 23:20, villa4europe said:

It looks incredible to be fair, my concerns were her as a lead cos she's posh as **** and shoe horning in a multicultural cast but that's nit picking, watching all the trailers and to spots I'm seriously hyped

I honestly don't get where this complaint comes from, I've never heard it levied at other science fiction, star trek, has always been multicultural, the world is multicultural, the galaxy far far away probably would be too. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jon_c said:

I honestly don't get where this complaint comes from, I've never heard it levied at other science fiction, star trek, has always been multicultural, the world is multicultural, the galaxy far far away probably would be too. 

Depends if you saw the martial arts bit with Donnie Yen in th first trailer as an attempt to launch Star Wars in to potentially the biggest market in the world which they don't happen to have

dont get me wrong I've got no problem with the actors, they've got some very good ones in this, just Disney as a business model

Â