Star Wars: Disney Era

Ginko

Watched it last night and loved it. It's by no means perfect, and doesn't quite feel like Star Wars for the most part but if you treat it as a film set in the SW universe rather than a SW film then you'll enjoy it and I think that's what they were going for anyway.

As for more spoilerific opinions... seriously don't read until you've seen the film:

Spoiler

I liked all the characters though you're never going to get much development within a two hour film so whenever one dies you don't feel much, with the one exception ironically being the only character who isn't technically alive anyway.

K-2SO is the star of the show for me, they utilised his humour the right amount so it wasn't too silly and it wasn't cringeworthy like 90% of the comic relief moments in TFA. I'm quite the fan of Alan Tudyk, just a shame he wasn't in the film in the flesh.

Donnie Yen in fighting action is always wonderful to watch and his character has something a bit different about him. I like that whilst Diego Luna's character was meant to be the Han Solo-type they made him more serious and darker. Shame they didn't expand on him a bit more. Jiang Wen's Baze Malbus was okay but not much to him, worked nicely enough with Yen's Chirrut Imwe though. Felicity Jones was decent enough, Mendehlson was pretty good and I always enjoy Mads Mikkelsen.

The story moved along at quite a fast pace, particularly at the beginning and end which did feel a bit rushed. You certainly bounce from new location to new location at the start. For the most part the beats were pretty well-timed and I never found myself bored.

The reshoots make a lot of the stuff in the early trailers completely obsolete. I remember feeling particularly confused when the Jyn vs TIE Fighter scene never materialised. I think that left me a little disappointed as I'd read a rumour that she might fly it as part of the Death Star trench run (the TIE who bumps into Vader to save Luke) which would have been a cool tie-in (pun intended) to A New Hope but it wasn't realistic given the film's timeframe.

Whittaker is poor and amazingly so. His character is daft, his delivery is terrible and I think the film would have been much better without both of them. Shame as I like a lot of his work. Christ knows what went on there.

Tarkin's CGI was pretty good but you could still tell. Leah's was pretty rubbish and a bit unnecessary and finishes the film on ah bit of a sour note.

To end on a real positive, the scene at the end with Vader was **** awesome :D Been way too long for fans to see a fully suited Vader look genuinely bad-ass in a fight

I'm a huge SW fan so it'd take a lot for me to dislike the film even though I really didnt like any of Gareth Edwards' other films I've seen. Well worth going to the cinema to see as it looks and sounds great, has plenty of action and nods to the SW universe and moves along at quite a pace.

Solid 8/10.

Edited by Ginko

Saw this with the boy today on a huge imax screen in London

on one hand it's the best Star Wars film they've made and yet where as the original trilogy you can (and probably have ) watch them again and again R1 sorta fits in with the other films in that once is enough and when it comes to being on ITV in years to come you'll go and find something else to do instead 

i liked how it supplements the Star Wars universe and tied up some loose ends ( like the "why " on the Death Star ) , I liked K2 , I liked most of the characters , it looked great , all in all its hard to fault 

Btw ,

paging General Solo which I'm sure I heard in the background when they are at the alliance base didn't fit the time line... presumably I mis heard or it isn't that Solo and it's just a name check for the sake of it ? [/spoiler]

Edited by tonyh29
  • Like 1

Spoiler
16 hours ago, tonyh29 said:

Btw ,

Hide contents

paging General Solo which I'm sure I heard in the background when they are at the alliance base didn't fit the time line... presumably I mis heard or it isn't that Solo and it's just a name check for the sake of it ? [/spoiler]

Close but no cigar...

Spoiler

It was general syndulla, she's a character in rebels 

i didn't spot it but apparently the ship from the series is in the film a couple of times

• Like 1

So what happens after the end of Rogue One then? They should make a film about that next. :D

Just back from seeing it. Loved it! Blown my L+J=R theory out the water, so now even more intrigued about what's going to be revealed in Episode VIII. Another year to wait, but I already want to watch Rogue One again, so that will keep me going for now. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, villa4europe said:
  Hide contents

Apparently there are loads of Easter eggs in it, the X wing pilot who didn't pull up in time and crashed? That would be red five, his death created a spare squad number for someone in a new hope...

Spoiler

Spoiler

My favourite was probably them bumping into the "He doesn't like you, I don't like you either" guys from the Cantina who attack Luke in A New Hope before being killed by Obi-Wan.

Edited by ThunderPower_14
Stuffed up the quote
  • Like 3

Biggest surprise from @Chindie's review - he is an eater of popcorn at the cinema. Almost enough to put me off reading any of his reviews ever again. Almost.

If the next spin off is young Han Solo, what are the realistic possibilities for the 3rd one? It seems Disney are producing movies based very much on what the fanbase want to see more of, so other than why the Death Star had that weakness, and how Han became the person he did, what else would be up there as a dream movie for fans?

I'd love to see a Yoda movie, personally.

It's very rare I eat popcorn in fairness.

They've been rumoured to be looking at a Yoda movie (a rumour supposedly supported by a lot of Yoda stuff in the other media recently), an Obi Wan movie (McGregor has hinted they've spoken to him about coming back) and a Boba Fett movie (Josh Trank was on board until his complete blowout). I'd stake good money they are looking at a Vader movie.

I think a Han movie is the least interesting of the lot.

1 hour ago, hogso said:

Biggest surprise from @Chindie's review - he is an eater of popcorn at the cinema. Almost enough to put me off reading any of his reviews ever again. Almost.

If the next spin off is young Han Solo, what are the realistic possibilities for the 3rd one? It seems Disney are producing movies based very much on what the fanbase want to see more of, so other than why the Death Star had that weakness, and how Han became the person he did, what else would be up there as a dream movie for fans?

I'd love to see a Yoda movie, personally.

I was under the impression the third spin off was going to be about Boba Fett, although a Yoda movie would be the tits.

I'd also like to see something about the Guardians of the Whills, and the stuff that goes down in Jedah. Maybe they could do that as the live action TV series that been mooted.

Edited by dAVe80

saw a rumour at the weekend that the young han solo could be a trilogy, on paper with no details it does very little for me if im honest

the surprising thing for me is just how much they're covering in rebels, darth maul and thrawn have been in it, the EU still exists and they are dipping their toes in to it

i think the problem they'll have is that im enough of a star wars fan to say id love them to go properly out there whilst at the same time id also inevitably go watch a jar jar binks film, rogue one i think was $100m down on force awakens opening weekend (it was still hugely successful though) there is an element of risk with going too far away, they have however shown plenty of balls with marvel

darth vader seems the obvious one at the moment

6 minutes ago, dAVe80 said:

I was under the impression the third spin off was going to be about Boba Fett, although a Yoda movie would be the tits.

I'd also like to see something about the Guardian of the Whills, and the stuff that goes down in Jedah. Maybe they could do that as the live action TV series that been mooted.

for me live action tv show should be the old republic and a (near) completely clean slate that they can do whatever they like with

but thinking about it a film with qui gon jinn discovering the secret afterlife thing (which apparently comes from them) could maybe be done, the problem being before the phantom menace theres no sith so i dont know how they come up with an antagonist 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

for me live action tv show should be the old republic and a (near) completely clean slate that they can do whatever they like with

but thinking about it a film with qui gon jinn discovering the secret afterlife thing (which apparently comes from them) could maybe be done, the problem being before the phantom menace theres no sith so i dont know how they come up with an antagonist 

I just want them to do everything!

Â