Star Wars: Disney Era

Ginko

Solo has to be the best spin off out there ... he's a human smuggler whose best friend is a walking carpet that  won a space ship in a card game

whats not to like about a potential spin off ?

i think han solo is the one that they can seriously get wrong, they've cast emilia clarke in it for a start, the first han scene in force awakens is the worst part of the film, han and chewie's capers in space...

watched it again last night, not really a spoiler the deathtroopers are referred to as krennic's guards and personal squadron a couple of times, also noticed 2 stormtroopers on the beach having a conversation about the T15 stopping production and the new T16, the T16 being the skyhopper that luke flies

The screening I went to had some people in full costume doing a charity collection during the trailers. Which unintentionally provided some hilarity as a person dressed as a jawa did a perfect face plant after tripping over his robe in front of the entire audience.

• Like 2

Just back and it far exceeded expectations for me.

Think I'm still buzzing from Vader destroying all those rebel soldiers locked in a room with him.  Loved how it tied immediately in with A New Hope.  As a consequence it was a good decision to kill off all the films protagonists.  Liked the inclusion of Bael Organa (a recasting from the prequels so they're not totally done away with).  Cool to see the Mos Eisley guys, obviously they left Jedha pretty sharpish.  Great touch too to explain away the glaring technical flaw in the galaxy's greatest battle station.  So yeah, all in all a big thumbs up from me

• Like 2

I don't find Boba Fett very interesting, but he's a certainty to get a spin off at some point.

I'd probably be most keen to see some more Jedi getting around and completing missions etc prior to the clone wars. The most interesting thing for me about the prequels was Qui Gon and Obi Wan being sent out to deal with the trade federation. Surely there are plenty of stories along those lines starring Jedis we haven't heard about yet that could include cameos from Yoda and even Mace Windu.

10 minutes ago, jon_c said:

I've said it before but, an Obi Wan version of Yojimbo set on Tatooine, directly after episode III. Make it happen. 

Good idea but I don't think Obi Wan has the amoral quality of Sanjuro.

I could see it working with a young Solo or even Boba Fett though :thumb:

22 minutes ago, jon_c said:

I've said it before but, an Obi Wan version of Yojimbo set on Tatooine, directly after episode III. Make it happen. 

Yeah, something like that would make a lot of sense, they could set up the almost certainty of whats-her-name from Episode VII being his granddaughter too.

Loads of prequels and spin offs would be good, but after watching R1 I am convinced nothing would be as good as watching Vader go on killing spree across the galaxy. 

Set a few months after ROTS, in full on rage mode, hunting down the remaining Jedi's. 

AWESOME. 

thats the one for me too, would mean they could introduce some more jedi, i think the vader scenes in this film, both in terms of developing him a bit and him being bad ass are both exactly what people want, something i spotted on the 2nd viewing

Spoiler

whilst on his killing spree he uses the force to pin a bloke to the ceiling, i saw that 1st time, what i didnt see was as he walked past him and he's swinging the lightsaber around he does like a cool back slash and kills him :wub:

and im throwing it out there cos based on what ive read in the books and seen in the various cartoon spin offs, the character who got the shortest shrift in the star wars films IMO...general grievous...he was bad ass with a good back story, lucas completely ruined him in episode 3, that said i think with the amount of stuff out there (not sure what survived the canon cull) i dont think they'll revisit the clone wars

20 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

I still want the Jar Jar spin off where we establish he was the Sith Lord controlling events 

If they did a Jar Jar spin off, which was basically the Saw movies but with Jar Jar as the victim. A lot of people would happily watch that. 

Disagree with the assessment of the CGI featuring a key character despite the actor being dead since 1994. Is that based purely on people knowing that the actor is deceased and so 'obviously it must be CGI?' I thought his character was very good and his CGI was as good as I have seen. Not ropey at all as I've seen mentioned elsewhere. The female CGI was not quite as good. What it means for me is that I am more hopeful for a Han Solo film now - we can see what is possible. A younger Harrison Ford is not impossible, even for a cross-over scene walking into the Tatooine Cantina leading into Episode 4.

Yes, I'm a fanboy, going to see it for a third time today (4th tomorrow).

Enjoyed the film quite a bit. I like the scale of sacrifice involved and the overall team effort implied. One reviewer sought to mock the 'I can do xxx, if you can do yyy...' etc. It is a Rebellion isn't it? No single individual saves an entire Galaxy... It's a team effort. I liked the feeling of desperation that it creates - the chain reaction of 'lucky' moments various characters have to endure to actually deliver the plans.

It is a film of Star Wars eye-candy... ground assaults, flying battles, lasers and droids. Two hours I would happily watch as much as any other Star War film. I want to see more grtty films like this one in the genre.

Digital de-aging is already looking good - young Downey Jr in Civil War is is nearly seamless.

But actually creating a human face over another actors face just isn't there yet. The CGI is brilliant in Rogue One, but for that character it's obviously not a human face. It's well done, but it's still not quite good enough to fool the brain.

The second one is a horror show. Dead eyed plastic human shaped entity.

• Like 1

Â