Roy Keane

TrentVilla

Come on sidcowans21, rule number 1 is to not post possibly-exciting news on VT without verifying it yourself first!! ;) A bunch of us were just about to nod off, until you had us hitting 'refresh' on SSN!

I'm quite pleased with this.  Keane is demanding, bloody minded and doesn't give a f*** about what people think about him, which I quite like! He was also the best midfielder in the world at one point and has a good football brain, his problem is patience has never been his strong point, he also hates weak people!

He will certainly put a few noses out of joint but thats ok, so long as it get player to buck up a knuckle down.  I think he will be a great influence on Delph.

He will certainly put a few noses out of joint but thats ok, so long as it get player to buck up a knuckle down.  I think he will be a great influence on Delph.

I wouldn't say Delph needs that kind of influence. However, young players will respect the star quality, and the Irish lads in the squad will have two reasons to impress. 

I wouldn't say Delph needs that kind of influence. However, young players will respect the star quality, and the Irish lads in the squad will have two reasons to impress. 

You miss understand I don't think Delph needs that, I think Delph is also the sort of character Keane is and that Keane could really help develop Delph's game if they were to build up a good rapport.

• Like 1

Lambert has asked his mate Keane to help assist the team whilst we are in limbo with the ownership. It is a temporary appointment whilst Ireland are not doing anything.

The fact that we needed to make a temp appointment suggests a takeover is still a while away unfortunately.

Edited by LondonLax

Since watching the Viera and Keane documentary I've grown to like him. Decent pundit too. Told it how it was.

There's more positives that this is happening than negatives.

That documentary was fantastic. Both Keane and Viera came across very well.

I'm a little confused.

Does a manager not help to coach his team while on the training pitch from time to time or at the very least make the odd suggestion in how to play?

If not then what do they get paid for?

yep. What's your point?

I'm a little confused.

Does a manager not help to coach his team while on the training pitch from time to time or at the very least make the odd suggestion in how to play?

yep. What's your point?

And why is it in this thread about the future assistant manager of the club?

I would have thought the point would have been obvious but obviously not.

We are talking about the merits of Roy Keane coming in as a coach/number two/motivator. I asked the question what does a manager do?

Does a manager have any influence on the training pitch? If he does then a manager should also be judged on his coaching ability to get the team playing well. Keane has had minimal success as a manager so why would he suddenly become a good coach or motivator when he hasn't consistently been that elsewhere through being a manager.

If you're telling me that Keane has had no input at all into coaching his other teams to play a system of his choice then fine.

I wasn't.

I was simply replying to you saying he had never improved a team.

There are countless examples of good assistants being crap managers and vice versa.

There is quite clearly a difference in the jobs, so in my opinion, using a managerial record to predict how good someone will be as an assistant is extremely limited at best, especially a managerial career that is so short thus far.

Yeah that's more than fair but in some cases there really isn't a distinction between the two and that's what I'm getting at. It can be more of a partnership than something clearly defined with both the manager and coach/number two exchanging responsibilities on the day to day running of the team depending upon the circumstances which was why I brought the point up about Keane's record as a manager when clearly he would have had some input in coaching his teams.

I would have loved to have a young Roy Keane in our midfield but as a number two following on from what has happened recently in conjunction with employing someone who has admitted intentional injury to another player is not the way to go for me.

I find this notion that Keane will be joining just to do Lambert a favour and that it's only a temporary thing really strange. I'm just wondering whether or not he'll be working with Lambert next season or someone else eventually.

I think a lot of pride from fans comes into this appointment, and I'm not saying that's a particularly bad thing but it was like when Houllier wanted Phil Thompson as assistant and people couldn't bear the fact such a figure of Liverpool history could intrude on ours, but I think it's nonsense. Poor decisions at board level over the last 25 years have placed us where we are now, we are no longer toe to toe with clubs such as Liverpool and Man.Utd, a proud history, yes; we're the original big club but we are falling and falling behind.

As things stand we will absolutely be relegated next year or the year after and fade away, it's time to swallow some pride and look to rebuild, there is a pressure to maintain a status and for all Keane's faults, I think he's a good football man, a winner and someone who can not only gain the respect of players but someone who can get Villa back on the radar of just being talked about again and an intrigue in the press, which is very important on a world level. We're the most boring team on the planet at the moment and I really believe that if he genuinely wants to be here it's a good thing. He's still relatively young, his managerial record isn't actually too bad and being an assistant removes all that pressure from him to just get about his business. I'd be relatively happy to have him on board considering how low we currently are. 

Edited by nobler
  • Like 2

When I read this I was emotionally not moved at all, so neither bad or good.  I'm not sure whether that is because of the apathy I am currently experiencing with the Villa or that I'm assuming the Villa will be taken over in due course or that this move will neither make us or break us as I suppose it depends on what else happens and then I can make an assessment over the bigger picture rather than just this one component.  Even if this had been an inspired appointment it still doesnt deflect away from the fact this club needs a roots to branch overhaul for anything to change.....so this drop in the ocean, whether good or bad seems to have had no emotional impact on me.  I'm really scared though as it should have an impact on me, I should be happy or sad about this potential appointment.....I'm just not. 

Yeah that's more than fair but in some cases there really isn't a distinction between the two and that's what I'm getting at. It can be more of a partnership than something clearly defined with both the manager and coach/number two exchanging responsibilities on the day to day running of the team depending upon the circumstances which was why I brought the point up about Keane's record as a manager when clearly he would have had some input in coaching his teams.

So you could say the best course of action would be to give him a flipping chance first before writing him off based on his managerial record which may or may not matter (and isn't even bad anyway).

How's your aunt by the way?

• Like 1

I'm a little confused.

yep. What's your point?

I'm a little confused.

yep. What's your point?

And why is it in this thread about the future assistant manager of the club?

I would have thought the point would have been obvious but obviously not.

We are talking about the merits of Roy Keane coming in as a coach/number two/motivator. I asked the question what does a manager do?

Does a manager have any influence on the training pitch? If he does then a manager should also be judged on his coaching ability to get the team playing well. Keane has had minimal success as a manager so why would he suddenly become a good coach or motivator when he hasn't consistently been that elsewhere through being a manager.

If you're telling me that Keane has had no input at all into coaching his other teams to play a system of his choice then fine.    

He also took Sunderland from the bottom of the Championship after they lost 4 successive games under Quinn to win the Championship. He has no coaching ability that chap, he's done more as a manager than Rene Meulensteen. For the last time he is coming in as an assistant, similar to his role with the Ireland squad.

So you could say the best course of action would be to give him a flipping chance first before writing him off based on his managerial record which may or may not matter (and isn't even bad anyway).

How's your aunt by the way?

His managerial record is disastrous as already quoted and all my aunts are dead so thanks very much for asking.

Why do people keep going on about the irrelevant, Keane's managerial record is almost not important.

Keane is not managing Villa he is assisting Lambert with coaching, tactics, experience and motivation among other things.

Stop going on about his management history FFS!

• Like 3

Â