Roy Keane

TrentVilla

8 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

I think it was actually £20k. And I was outraged. And I STILL think £20k a week is obscenely too much for any job, even now, let alone the latest levels. 

Nah definitely 50k. I remember the discussions on Soccer Saturday etc (when I still had an interest in Football)

8 minutes ago, MachoFantastico said:

Can't stand him personally, never did as a player and he's even worse as a pundit. But if Sunderland want him as manager than at least he won't be on our TV's as much which is only a good thing. 😆

Was one of the only people at Villa to see through the Gabby shit which a lot ignored 

• Like 1

I remember his interview recently, when he signed for Man Utd for a British transfer record in 1993, his salary was £350k per annum. Up from £300k he was on at Forest. Blackburn offered £400k.

Big numbers for average workers like me, but when you compare it to footballers now! 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Xela said:

I remember his interview recently, when he signed for Man Utd for a British transfer record in 1993, his salary was £350k per annum. Up from £300k he was on at Forest. Blackburn offered £400k.

Big numbers for average workers like me, but when you compare it to footballers now! 

Not particularly with Keane, but it's where a lot of bitterness comes from with all the crusty naff pundits.

They do like to moan but the game is light years ahead now. Even watching Euro 96 duiting covid the game was being played in slow motion it looked. The players are all athletes now. They may have been just as talented/skilful but the fitness levels are incomparable. 

11 hours ago, rodders0223 said:

God help them. Funny guy. Great guy imo but he ain't a manager. When it comes to football there is a switch in his head that just flicks.  He loses all rational.

He got them promoted the last time he was their manager, he must be able to do something right

3 hours ago, Xela said:

It was nearly 30 years ago though when the average cost of a house was about 60k. So about 1.5m/2m a year in today's money. Still a lot less than the wages today

51 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

He got them promoted the last time he was their manager, he must be able to do something right

The last time Roy Keane was a successful manager Bolton Reading and Pompey were finishing top 10 in the PL.

He's been out the game forever. His initial impact at a poor Sunderland team in free fall threat of double relegation was incredible.

It's a lifetime ago.

• 1 year later...
Â