Roy Keane

TrentVilla

I can't make my mind up about this one.

He's a winner who doesn't accept second best but he's gonna have to get used to watching and training 5th best if he comes to Villa.

He's volatile and incredibly arrogant and if he rubs people up the wrong way this could backfire.

The best case scenario is that his sheer presence, ability and winning mentality has a real positive effect on our young players who have achieved nothing. And when he speaks they listen and want to perform better.

The worse case scenario is Lambert is sacked early doors and Keane simply takes over as manager. I can handle him being on the training pitch installing his determination and work ethnic. But if this ends in him being manager he can stay where he is thanks.

• Like 1

I think it's a little unfair to suggest those are the only unglued he can have on our midfielders, he was an extraordinarily good midfielder for many many years.

Good ol' predictive text :D Glue puns anyone?

People keep saying Keane was a woeful manager (not that it matters as he won't be our manager).

But was he really? He was no Jose Mourinho but I'd hardly say he was woeful.

People keep saying Keane was a woeful manager (not that it matters as he won't be our manager).

He has a worse win percentage than Lambert. Does that not say enough? Plus the 2 clubs he has so far managed had money and he failed with both. Ok he got Sunderland promoted but they should be at least a premier league side anyway. Steering Ipswich to 15th is hardly pulling up trees is it? Even Mick Mcarthy has done a better job than that. I just can't see this happening as it would totally undermine Lambert as Keane is much more higher profile than the manager.

He has a worse win percentage than Lambert. Does that not say enough? Plus the 2 clubs he has so far managed had money and he failed with both. Ok he got Sunderland promoted but they should be at least a premier league side anyway. Steering Ipswich to 15th is hardly pulling up trees is it? Even Mick Mcarthy has done a better job than that. I just can't see this happening as it would totally undermine Lambert as Keane is much more higher profile than the manager.
none of this disproves the fact that he improved Sunderland. Which was the point I was making.

If Keane is such a good coach why haven't any of his teams improved?

You mean like when he took Sunderland from the relegation zone in the championship to the championship title and into the premier league?

I mean he's only managed two teams. You could have googled this in 10 seconds.

Ok I was wrong about improving Sunderland and your right I should have checked.

After getting Sunderland promoted he left Sunderland while they were in the relegation zone in his second season with them in the Premiership and then was sacked by Ipswich after getting them to the heady heights of 19th in the Championship. 

Edited by shaggy

Same Mick McCarthy Wolves sacked and dropped two divisions? Face it, it's all but done.

• Like 2

If Keane is such a good coach why haven't any of his teams improved?

You mean like when he took Sunderland from the relegation zone in the championship to the championship title and into the premier league?

I mean he's only managed two teams. You could have googled this in 10 seconds.

Ok I was wrong about improving Sunderland and your right I should have checked.

After getting Sunderland promoted he left Sunderland while they were in the relegation zone in his second season with them in the Premiership and then was sacked by Ipswich after getting them to the heady heights of 19th in the Championship.

correct.

He still improved Sunderland though.

Yep for a season and then went downhill fast with both teams you mention. Hardly an endorsement of managerial ability.

He will be coming as a no.2, not manager. Rene Muleensteen was a crap manager, but an excellent assistant.

I would welcome the appointment. The real last tough nut i remember at the Villa was Ron Saunders, and look what happened then.

Bloody hell so much debate over our potential number two just because he is famous. Whoever cared about a number two before?!?

I blame Lerner.

Well, being as though it was Culverhouse and Karsa that took the training sessions and some claiming they actually picked the team too, i would say it's pretty important. That's why people care.

Yep for a season and then went downhill fast with both teams you mention. Hardly an endorsement of managerial ability.

he's not going to be the manager so this whole discussion is futile.

But You said he'd never improved a team.

I showed that that was false.

That's all there is to it.

Â